Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....heres how my “preventive maintenance” went

Changed plugs and belt on Saturday. Noticed the idler was rough and noisy so i grabbed a new one.

24 hours later, shredded a rib off the new belt. Changed the belt AGAIN , and another 24 hours later she completely destroyed the belt this time. Rubber gunk in all of the pulleys and tentioner gave this time.

Moral of the story? It may be common knowledge but....at 88k miles when putting a new strong belt, you should change ALL THE PULLEYS AND THE TENSIONER.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,641 Posts
FWIW when install the thump racing tensioner, I got rid of all the plastic/composite idler pulleys and replaced them with metal ones.

Also, if you have the belt off it's a good idea to check the water pump pulley for excessive play.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somewhat of an update....

Car has thrown 3 belts since my last post and ive changed both idlers and along with a new tentioner. All gates brand.

I noticed today that its chewing the first rib off.
Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,681 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,641 Posts
You confirmed the other pulleys...water pump (can wobble if bearing is bad), AC (bearing could have play between electronic clutch) and Alternator (if you have the one way bearing version it could be bad) are spinning freely with no play? If you are having a misalignment issue, I would look at the mount for pulley #1 as any tiny misalignment there can cause problems.

When I was having issues with my belt after the supercharger install I used a camera mounted in the engine bay to view the belt movement under quick throttle revs.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Check every pulley and every groove therein to ensure there is no small defect that can be cutting into the belt material.
On a buddys car, he went through a belt a week for 2 months before finally letting me look at it. Found a thin sheer of metal sticking out of one of the pulleys that was wearing and eventually shredded the belt. Filed it down and all was well.

If it is truly “throwing” belts, have someone do some quick revs while you watch the tensioner move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check every pulley and every groove therein to ensure there is no small defect that can be cutting into the belt material.
On a buddys car, he went through a belt a week for 2 months before finally letting me look at it. Found a thin sheer of metal sticking out of one of the pulleys that was wearing and eventually shredded the belt. Filed it down and all was well.

If it is truly “throwing” belts, have someone do some quick revs while you watch the tensioner move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im gonna dive into it this morning. Im going to check what you said about a sharp rib and also yank the hell out of every pulley to find some play.

Not saying im an expert here but im damn sure i didn’t miss align the belt 3 times

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,641 Posts
There is a reason I used a camera to check belts during revs. When I first installed the super charger, I had my buddy rev the throttle and the belt jumped off and shot out the driver's side of the engine bay (snout was too short and I did not notice the misalignment). Had my face been anywhere near it would have smacked it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a reason I used a camera to check belts during revs. When I first installed the super charger, I had my buddy rev the throttle and the belt jumped off and shot out the driver's side of the engine bay (snout was too short and I did not notice the misalignment). Had my face been anywhere near it would have smacked it.
Yeah i mean i had another person (my pops/20 year mercedes technician and shop owner) look at it while i revved and nothing seemed out of wack

Will update later may the force be with me

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,641 Posts
Yeah i mean i had another person (my pops/20 year mercedes technician and shop owner) look at it while i revved and nothing seemed out of wack

Will update later may the force be with me
LoL. That actually reminded me of the time I was like 10 years old and it was winter. We had a ramcharger that would always flood the engine as the choke was messed up. My pop took the airfilter off and stuck a screw driver down the carb to hold the choke butterfly open. He yelled "Ok Johnny turn the key". A couple of cranks later I hear a pop then see an orange flash and my dad running to a snow pile with his snow cap and hand on fire. Ah..mopar memories.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LoL. That actually reminded me of the time I was like 10 years old and it was winter. We had a ramcharger that would always flood the engine as the choke was messed up. My pop took the airfilter off and stuck a screw driver down the carb to hold the choke butterfly open. He yelled "Ok Johnny turn the key". A couple of cranks later I pop then see an orange flash and my dad running to a snow pile with his snow cap and hand on fire. Ah..mopar memories.
Well hopefully it doesn’t turn into one of those!

Idk knowing my luck my driveshaft is probably ready to blow again

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That doesn't look like the diagram I posted earlier?

Well, upon further inspection the belt was on wrong....

My pops thought he was gonna teach me something about putting on the serpantine and kind of took it off in a cocky mood only to “teach” me the wrong way to put it on....gotta love family but i gotta give the old man credit but it looks like all my frustration was self induced

Thanks again Chally...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,641 Posts
just remember the belt goes smooth side to smooth pully, ribs go on ribs
Yeah but in this case either orientation results in smooth side of belt on smooth side of pulley #6. Although from the pic it looks like the ribbed side of the belt would be in contact at the idler #6 and also contacting the bottom side to the water pump #7. I have to admit that I too have to think about the belt routing and it is idler #6 that makes me scratch my head for a second.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
287 Posts
U still broke the rule, rule is counter clock wise, smooth/smooth, groove/groove

1 - 20 of 36 Posts