Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you secure the lanyards? I got a set of Mr Norms hood pins for Christmas and just installed them on my newly painted fiberglass hood (pictures on a better day). My lanyards are too short for the mounting points that I've found.

There were no installation instructions, so it leaves it up to ones imagination. I may have to buy longer lanyards, but before I do that, I figured I'd ask others.

Mike

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i seen one in Columbus I may have some pics.. ill have to look

·
Registered
688 Posts
I got the same set of pins. Since the lanyards don't really do anything, except keep track of the cotter pins, I drilled a small hole in the upper part of the headlight housing. (the black plastic part) You don't see it unless you get down on your knees. It is in the corner, real close to the grill. My lanyards, I thought, were too long. Sorry, no pics yet, been too cold to fool with it here too.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the same set of pins. Since the lanyards don't really do anything, except keep track of the cotter pins, I drilled a small hole in the upper part of the headlight housing. (the black plastic part) You don't see it unless you get down on your knees. It is in the corner, real close to the grill. My lanyards, I thought, were too long. Sorry, no pics yet, been too cold to fool with it here too.

Thanks.. thought about doing that, but was hoping to use an existing bolt... just because

Question for you. Did you have any interference issues with the cupholder-cover once you put the pin plate in place? I ended up having a heckuva time with mine on the passenger side. Drivers side not too bad, but right under the cup holder, the metal plate was pushing it up. It was rubbing on the hood. Ended up grinding the cupholder down and lengthening the slot on the metal plate that bolts to the headlight in order to make it work.

A contributing factor was my fiberglass hood, Im sure. Underside is like the stock hood, but I bet the tolerances aren't the same.

Mike

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks.. thought about doing that, but was hoping to use an existing bolt... just because

Question for you. Did you have any interference issues with the cupholder-cover once you put the pin plate in place? I ended up having a heckuva time with mine on the passenger side. Drivers side not too bad, but right under the cup holder, the metal plate was pushing it up. It was rubbing on the hood. Ended up grinding the cupholder down and lengthening the slot on the metal plate that bolts to the headlight in order to make it work.

A contributing factor was my fiberglass hood, Im sure. Underside is like the stock hood, but I bet the tolerances aren't the same.

Mike

Well, to tell the truth, it turned cold on me before I got to that part. I also have the Mr. Norms SS hood on mine, so maybe there will be an additional challenge when I do get to it. Thanks for the heads up on that part! As the poster above said, they don't even need to be screwed to anything, because they serve no real purpose, other than looks and to keep track of the cotter pins. I would probably went the way he did, if I had thought about it.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, to tell the truth, it turned cold on me before I got to that part. I also have the Mr. Norms SS hood on mine, so maybe there will be an additional challenge when I do get to it. Thanks for the heads up on that part! As the poster above said, they don't even need to be screwed to anything, because they serve no real purpose, other than looks and to keep track of the cotter pins. I would probably went the way he did, if I had thought about it.
Just a suggestion. Double check the fitment of everything, before you do the drilling for the pins. To include any interference issues with the various piece parts and the hood. When I found out I had to lengthen the slot on the one plate, it, of course, changed the pin geometry. I had already drilled my hood. Had enough room to compensate without permanent problems, but it could have been a real mess. My alternative was going to be just not use those cup holder covers.

I agree on the lanyards.. I'll figure out where to connect them.. Just won't be drilling any new holes.

If you need any info/specifics or have any questions, just shoot me a PM.

Mike

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Great thread. If you guys get a chance, post some pics up of what you're running into for the next schlock...

HemiSam

·
Registered
688 Posts
No problem here Sam, just gotta wait a bit for the weather to warm a bit. You know how cold weather affects us old geezers! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sam... I'll have to take some pics of the pins etc exposed later.. Just got done washing the baby and tucking her away for the evening.

Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
I ran mine through the grill inboard of the headlights. There is a radiator support bolt close by that I attached my lanyards to. I used an electrical connector - swagged one end to the cable and the other end I installed under that mounting bolt.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts