Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like some opinions please.

You see I owned a 2012 SRT8. It was a great car...but I got it in my head that I wanted to try a Classic MOPAR before they got too expensive and the SRT8 was a toy and not a daily driver. So unfortunately I sold it. I now have a 1969 Roadrunner that has been an absolute money pit that I have finally decided to go ahead and part with. But thats another story.

For the time being though, I am considering going back to a Challenger. This time as a daily driver. You just can't replace the looks and feel of these cars in today's market. Thing is...a lot of the equity I had from the SRT8 got eaten up by the roadrunner. Doubt I'll get it back. So I'm considering the R/T.

For those that have had both, what was your impression? Did you feel like you gave up a lot for the R/T? For those that jumped from an R/T to an SRT, was it a massive improvement worth the extra $15k?

I'm really more focused on the total car concept. I've test driven a few R/T's and they feel really good. I was expecting it to feel like a dog but it doesn't at all.

So what should I expect?

Reactions: btrshoes

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I really don't know where the idea...

You see I owned a 2012 SRT8. It was a great car...but I got it in my head that I wanted to try a Classic MOPAR before they got too expensive and the SRT8 was a toy and not a daily driver. So unfortunately I sold it. I now have a 1969 Roadrunner that has been an absolute money pit that I have finally decided to go ahead and part with. But thats another story.

For the time being though, I am considering going back to a Challenger. This time as a daily driver. You just can't replace the looks and feel of these cars in today's market. Thing is...a lot of the equity I had from the SRT8 got eaten up by the roadrunner. Doubt I'll get it back. So I'm considering the R/T.

For those that have had both, what was your impression? Did you feel like you gave up a lot for the R/T? For those that jumped from an R/T to an SRT, was it a massive improvement worth the extra $15k?

I'm really more focused on the total car concept. I've test driven a few R/T's and they feel really good. I was expecting it to feel like a dog but it doesn't at all.

So what should I expect?
That an SRT is NOT a good daily driver. In daily driving situations, there is LITTLE difference between the two (see my earlier post on this issue).

I used both as daily drivers. They were both good (50 mile round trip to work 5 days a week--1/3 in heavy traffic--drive a 6 speed).

As far as toys go...they are both toys also. The SRT is a faster, better performing toy. That is why I traded.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
I too currently own a 2012 Challenger SRT with automatic. And I too have owned a 1969 roadrunner (yes, they are money pits but soooo much fun! - how much are you looking to sell it for?) Anyway have owned a 2006 Charger Daytona (5.7) - then a 2008 Charger Superbee (6.1) and now my Challenger SRT (392). I don`t know as everybody is different, however I just don`t think I could go back to the 5.7 so I would (and will) stick with the SRT`s. Yep, more expensive but more fun. The power is intoxicating, the stopping power awesome and the handling (2-3 mode suspension) is just plain fun! And I`m up in Mpls and your in Florida - how come can`t the SRT be a daily driver?? I actually had my Challenger out yesterday for a bit. With the right tires (I`m running Nitto Motivos) this car in your part of the country is no doubt a year round vehicle. Unless you need something larger of course....
Anyway that`s my .02 cents! LOL.....
Ron

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too currently own a 2012 Challenger SRT with automatic. And I too have owned a 1969 roadrunner (yes, they are money pits but soooo much fun! - how much are you looking to sell it for?) Anyway have owned a 2006 Charger Daytona (5.7) - then a 2008 Charger Superbee (6.1) and now my Challenger SRT (392). I don`t know as everybody is different, however I just don`t think I could go back to the 5.7 so I would (and will) stick with the SRT`s. Yep, more expensive but more fun. The power is intoxicating, the stopping power awesome and the handling (2-3 mode suspension) is just plain fun! And I`m up in Mpls and your in Florida - how come can`t the SRT be a daily driver?? I actually had my Challenger out yesterday for a bit. With the right tires (I`m running Nitto Motivos) this car in your part of the country is no doubt a year round vehicle. Unless you need something larger of course....
Anyway that`s my .02 cents! LOL.....
Ron
I must have come across wrong as it wasn't that the SRT couldn't be a daily driver...its just that I had my truck as well and I would only drive the SRT on nice days. What I'd like to do now is get back into 1 vehicle and it be a DD. I'd like that DD to be an R/T or SRT. Just need to know which one. lol.

Also the RR has been fun, but the current financial situation is only gonna support 1 car. I'm looking for 30k or as close to it as I can get.

1969 Roadrunner
B5 Blue w/vinyl top
Original 383 Motor
4 spd.

Gorgeous car. Probably a 7/10 all around.
Motor is a little tired and is probably approaching rebuild within the next 5-10k. Other than that...good to go. PM me if your're interested and we can go into more details.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It also depends on what transmission you are going to get. I had a 13 SRT Charger and a 10 Challenger RT Classic 6spd. I ended up trading the Charger on a Durango, as it was not all I thought it should be. The Challenger is just more fun to drive and , to me, more civil in daily driving. That said, if you are going to mod, start with an SRT, it is a better platform.
All in all, an SRT is a better performing car than an RT. If you can afford it, go for it. If comfort is your thing, I'd go for the RT with an auto.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
If you already think the stock R/T doesn't feel like a dog and you liked it, go for it! Most people get the 6.4l because they WANT MORE, not because they are content with what they have, power-wise.

As far as handling and braking, get an R/T with the Super Track Pack. You'll get great handling and very strong braking. No they aren't Brembos, but they are more than adequate for the spirited driver.

I used to want an SRT8 but I just love the way my car drives/looks/feels that I couldn't imagine driving anything else. And mine is a daily driver, all 4 seasons, with tons of snow included. :icon_razz:

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yep...

If you already think the stock R/T doesn't feel like a dog and you liked it, go for it! Most people get the 6.4l because they WANT MORE, not because they are content with what they have, power-wise.

As far as handling and braking, get an R/T with the Super Track Pack. You'll get great handling and very strong braking. No they aren't Brembos, but they are more than adequate for the spirited driver.

I used to want an SRT8 but I just love the way my car drives/looks/feels that I couldn't imagine driving anything else. And mine is a daily driver, all 4 seasons, with tons of snow included. :icon_razz:
My RT with STP was a great car. It was not a Dog at all. It pulled HARD and had plenty of Q. 90% of the time, people will be happy with it. I bet that it would easily outperform your classic car.

Reactions: rajunz

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Having been In the R/T and SRT dealio, I remember this self quote after reflecting back on it all... "I should have just got the SRT in the first place."

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
My wife watched me trade in our 6-month old 300C for a 300C SRT8 back in 2006, so when I was Challenger shopping and looking at R/Ts she was the one who said...you may as well just get the SRT8 first this time. What a wise woman! If your Challenger will be your hot rod and you like to go out to the garage to have a brew and look at it, the SRT is just so satisfying.

I hear what you are saying if it is a money deal though, don't overextend yourself. However I don't see the difference as $15k, unless you are comparing a pretty base R/T to a SRT. I see it as the other way around, by the time you load a R/T up with all the goodies, it totally makes sense to just jump into a SRT.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
Having been In the R/T and SRT dealio, I remember this self quote after reflecting back on it all... "I should have just got the SRT in the first place."

Yes, how true (for me at least)... Amen to that Brother!!

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts

So what should I expect?
I had the 5.7 now I have a 2012 SRT challenger. It was worth the money. I bought mine new in march of 2013 it had 46 miles on it. Sticker was 50,000 and change. I paid $44000. I still have the 5.7 and I like it but if I had to give one up it would be the R/t. My SRT is a daily driver.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If your looking for a well taken care of used SRT look on the cars for sale forum part on here. A lot of great deals to be had. The cars on here are well taken care of and have some mods already done. That's my .02 cents.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had both and I would go with the SRT as the performance is noticeably better. Additionally, you can get a Core model in the mid to upper 30s, which is close to the price of an RT. However, no one else knows your financial position. While the SRT is a better performer, the RT is a mighty fine car. Truth be told, I'd be happy with either as an SRT is nice to have but so is an RT. Either way there will always be faster and better performing cars on the road.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Have you considered a very slightly used SRT8? They can be had for 35-38k in my area.

Reactions: Geno22

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

I concur!

I just took a SRT on a test drive to see what the difference in acceleration was. To be honest I felt like my RT pulled a little harder at part throttle BUT it has nearly all bolt ons with a custom tune and the SRT had an extra 250lb person in it, the skinnier tire (45's) and honestly since its a new car I was not used to launching it AND it had not been broken in yet.

I didnt get a chance to floor it since it was only a test drive but now I regret not getting one in the first place! I cant imagine how much quicker it would be after breaking it in and reducing torque management. Its time to start saving up for the 2015 :D

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
...and, take it WAY past 5k rpms(can't do that in a 5.7) and you'll quickly find out where the extra power is.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
This is a very simple dilemma. Both are usable as DD's. If you feel you need 100 more HP and you can justify the extra expense to have it, get the SRT. Otherwise save some money and get the R/T.

You're over thinking this.

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
512 Posts
look at the SRT "CORE" model.....you will be surprised they are approx. $38k or so......go look my vote since I have both is SRT bought the RT after and really like it for long trips.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
reply from whitechallyrt. I miss my 1999 Z28 a little as I made quite a few upgrades. As for your daily driver, I think you would love the RT. I have an RT plus, and I love it. I could have easily bought the SRT, as I paid cash for my RT, thanks to my parents who passed away in 2011 and 2012. I miss them more than anything. Anyways, the RT as you know has the 5.7 Hemi. Plenty of power, and a few more mpg than the SRT. I would recommend the RT plus if you can pull it off. Very comfortable car to drive, and you can make upgrades as your wallet lets you. I am sure you can find a low mileage used one around your area. You can save a bit that way, as with a new one, you loose 10 grand as soon as you drive it off the lot. Get the RT. As I said, good power, decent mpg. Good luck to you with your search.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts