Dodge Challenger Forum banner
181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I heard from a local dealer that they received notification that as of yesterday 1/4/22 production of 2022 Challengers and Chargers have been put on indefinite hold due to chip shortage. This is in addition to the Plant shutdown. They have a couple of customer Challenger Hellcat orders that were ordered early December that have not been picked up by the plant yet, unknown status. And they are a Power Broker Dealer. Dodge will eventually build the 2022's just don't know when they will start. I ordered my 2022 1320 November 13 and it is in D status, VON and VIN assigned. This could be another interesting year

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392 Maximum Steel Metallic
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
That wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve been reading a lot from people that placed orders that they already have VINs and are status D. I personally am neither and I placed my order 12/3/21. I actually tried to cancel my order and the dealer tried to tell me that I can’t cancel because it’s already been sent to the manufacturer and the only way to refund my money is if the car comes in and we don’t agree on numbers.

Sounds to me like a dealer that simply wants the car so they can sell it no matter what, since they can’t order stock right now. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
91 Posts
That wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve been reading a lot from people that placed orders that they already have VINs and are status D. I personally am neither and I placed my order 12/3/21. I actually tried to cancel my order and the dealer tried to tell me that I can’t cancel because it’s already been sent to the manufacturer and the only way to refund my money is if the car comes in and we don’t agree on numbers.

Sounds to me like a dealer that simply wants the car so they can sell it no matter what, since they can’t order stock right now. What do you guys think?
Whether or not they can cancel the order should be a moot point. Keeping your deposit or not is 100% on the dealer. You can negotiate now and figure out if you agree on numbers. In fact, I always suggest agreeing on a final price prior to even placing the order so there are no surprises when it arrives. A lot of dealers like to wait until the car is on the lot since it gives them more leverage, but you just need to hold your ground on negotiating up front or walk.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Koons was great about this. Everything was spelled out to the penny. No messing around at all and final price was calculated pre deposit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Koons was great about this. Everything was spelled out to the penny. No messing around at all and final price was calculated pre deposit.
Same, I ended up ordering from a dealer in the East and I'm in the SW. 4% under invoice, no haggling, they deal with registration and such still. Even after spending the money to have it shipped to me via enclosed transport, I'll still be saving $4k compared to what my local dealers wanted... The Hellcat forums have a few dealers offering similar deals.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
How else are we to get the Challenger the way we want it other than to put in a factory order at a selected Dodge dealership? As we don't have any control over the micro-chip shortage.:unsure:

Same, I ended up ordering from a dealer in the East and I'm in the SW. 4% under invoice, no haggling, they deal with registration and such still. Even after spending the money to have it shipped to me via enclosed transport, I'll still be saving $4k compared to what my local dealers wanted... The Hellcat forums have a few dealers offering similar deals.
I keep hearing that the 2022 Challengers are more expensive now (a few thousand dollars more to get/order than the 2021 Challenger. Also that there are no deals/discounts to be had:unsure:.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,904 Posts

A Guy

Reactions: STINGRAY

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

A Guy
I hope so. As it is USA doesn't produce the micro chips. The majority of chips come from outside the US i.e. China. I wonder where the original chips that were used before this shortage of micro chips came from on the 2020/2019/2018 Challengers? I just hope the new chips put in are as good or even better before the chips used during this shortage.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

A Guy
"The preliminary agreement with Foxconn calls for the chips to be available for use in vehicles in 2024, helping to stabilize the supply chain, Stellantis said".
If the above is true then we will loose out on the current Challenger V8 and bodystyle. 😣 🤮o_O

·
Registered
352 Posts
Chip shortage. Equals. Supply and demand makes more money for dodge. No deals. Im.sure stellantis is ok with the chip storage. Apparently ford mustangs no chip shortage..... Makes ya wonder. If its a made.up thing for more money. We will never know..

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Chip shortage. Equals. Supply and demand makes more money for dodge. No deals. Im.sure stellantis is ok with the chip storage. Apparently ford mustangs no chip shortage..... Makes ya wonder. If its a made.up thing for more money. We will never know..
My understanding is that Ford is keeping all of its cars without chips in storage. Once the chips become available Ford will teach the Techs at the dealerships to install the chips there instead of the factory.o_O(n)

·
Registered
91 Posts
How else are we to get the Challenger the way we want it other than to put in a factory order at a selected Dodge dealership? As we don't have any control over the micro-chip shortage.:unsure:

I keep hearing that the 2022 Challengers are more expensive now (a few thousand dollars more to get/order than the 2021 Challenger. Also that there are no deals/discounts to be had:unsure:.
I just built a 2022 model on Dodge's website exactly as I ordered my '21. MSRP only came out to $120 more, $95 of that being the paint upcharge since you now get charged extra for anything other than white. But I also had a late order, Nov 8th, and Dodge had at least one mid-year price increase. The MSRP I had priced on the website was $935 lower than what it showed when the dealer built it. So overall, 2022 SPWBS runs at least $1055 more than 2021.

A few East coast dealers are offering 4-5% under invoice, which is almost unheard of these days. Dodge is also currently offering a $1500 incentive or 0% for 72 months.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I just built a 2022 model on Dodge's website exactly as I ordered my '21. MSRP only came out to $120 more, $95 of that being the paint upcharge since you now get charged extra for anything other than white. But I also had a late order, Nov 8th, and Dodge had at least one mid-year price increase. The MSRP I had priced on the website was $935 lower than what it showed when the dealer built it. So overall, 2022 SPWBS runs at least $1055 more than 2021.
That's strange as I did the same thing and on the 2022 in my case it came out to about $3,000+ more for the same equipped car compared to the 2021 counterpart.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's strange as I did the same thing and on the 2022 in my case it came out to about $3,000+ more for the same equipped car compared to the 2021 counterpart.
It's possible there were multiple price increases throughout the year. I'm not sure what '21 model prices looked like at the start of the year, but I had previously ordered a 2020 SPWB that stickered for around $3000 less than the one I ordered. I actual price difference was about $6k but the '20 did not have the Shaker.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
It's possible there were multiple price increases throughout the year. I'm not sure what '21 model prices looked like at the start of the year, but I had previously ordered a 2020 SPWB that stickered for around $3000 less than the one I ordered. I actual price difference was about $6k but the '20 did not have the Shaker.
I probably got early 2021 prices then got a few added increases then did the 2022 build your own recently and that would reflect the price increases.

181 - 200 of 241 Posts