Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the slogan, "Ford has a better idea." used in one or two Ford advertisements at some point, and I am here to say that is just semantic BS in my humble opinion.

Sure, we could waste time trying to define the adjective 'better' as used in the slogan, but I refuse to allow misdirection to sully my point: I really hate working on Fords! Everything is bass-ackwards!!

And this weekend was just another reminder of why...

Long story short, my neighbor attempted a spark plug change on his 2003 F150 with the 4.6L V8 (230K miles), and it quickly devolved into a quagmire of crap that threw the original task out the window and replaced it with just getting it back together while minimizing any damage that might have been done in the process. And it didn't end until late tonight - Sunday (started Friday evening).

I wasn't initially involved in the deal, but when it became apparent that he could realistically not have a running truck come Monday morning, he asked me to help him do something...anything to undo whatever had been done. I agreed to help, but I hated every second of it!

But in the spirit of "You learn something new every day", I can at least say that the whole sordid affair did teach me something I did not previously know - Ford V8s have a completely different numbering sequence for their cylinders than their domestic counterparts in Dodge and Chevy.

Instead of the familiar odd/even numbered cylinders in two banks (2/4/6/8 and 1/3/5/7), Fords are numbered 1/2/3/4 and 5/6/7/8.

WTFF?? (What the F***, Ford??)

I don't know which is more surprising, that I've gone this long without actually knowing that fact, or that Ford considers straying from the norm so much as being a "...better idea."

With that in mind, I propose another acronym for the FORD moniker:

F(ord)
O(bstinate and)
R(eally)
D(ickish)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Some more examples of what FORD *really* stands for (you've probably heard these before though):
---------------------
Find
On
Road
Dead

---------------------

Fixed
Or
Repaired
Daily

Any others?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would agree with their use of "better idea" after spending two days after school (back in the day) changing spark plugs on my '68 Torino GT with a 390. Huge shock towers overshadowed the two inboard spark plugs on each head, which "better ideally" pointed towards each other as well. About a 1/2" clearance between shock tower and valve cover to access trying to get a spark plug wrench in there. And that was after removing the Thermactor rail that ran right in that 1/2" gap, affording no access. I got your better idea right here.

Found out later the factory procedure was to undo the mounts and jack up the engine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Don't forget about their brilliant 7-lug wheels, a "better idea" that thankfully didn't last.

And that you "Go Further" in a Ford. The question is how fur you want to go. I'd rather go farther.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
1,928 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
I have seen the slogan, "Ford has a better idea." used in one or two Ford advertisements at some point, and I am here to say that is just semantic BS in my humble opinion.

Sure, we could waste time trying to define the adjective 'better' as used in the slogan, but I refuse to allow misdirection to sully my point: I really hate working on Fords! Everything is bass-ackwards!!

And this weekend was just another reminder of why...

Long story short, my neighbor attempted a spark plug change on his 2003 F150 with the 4.6L V8 (230K miles), and it quickly devolved into a quagmire of crap that threw the original task out the window and replaced it with just getting it back together while minimizing any damage that might have been done in the process. And it didn't end until late tonight - Sunday (started Friday evening).

I wasn't initially involved in the deal, but when it became apparent that he could realistically not have a running truck come Monday morning, he asked me to help him do something...anything to undo whatever had been done. I agreed to help, but I hated every second of it!

But in the spirit of "You learn something new every day", I can at least say that the whole sordid affair did teach me something I did not previously know - Ford V8s have a completely different numbering sequence for their cylinders than their domestic counterparts in Dodge and Chevy.

Instead of the familiar odd/even numbered cylinders in two banks (2/4/6/8 and 1/3/5/7), Fords are numbered 1/2/3/4 and 5/6/7/8.

WTFF?? (What the F***, Ford??)
Ah, the early years of the Triton V8 - and that crappy spark plug design.

the early ones had 3 - 4 threads that the plug secured into the head. Hence, the self-ejecting spark plugs they were known for.

The later design had more threads to "resolve" one of the two problems - the self ejecting plug.

The 2nd design flaw is the body of the plug (non threaded) goes into the cylinder and carbon builds up and "locks" the plug to the plug bore.

You have to use penetrating solvent to help break down the carbon before attempting to remove the plug.
-if you didn't the plug could shear off...require the $2k special tool just for Ford! *imagine that* to extract the broken stub out of the head (without removing the cylinder head from engine)

Its not that uncommon that other makes have cylinder numbering like that. Mercedes V block engines to the 1-2-3, etc numbering as well.

But on top of that, Ford's Windsor engines have the #1 cyl on the passenger side of the block - just to be different yet again.

The newer Ford (and Nissan) V6 engines are no fun to work on. Cam timing chains on front and back side of the head. And access isn't great

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
I must admit that I've never had enough tools or patience to own a Ford.
a friend back in WA state hates working on Ford, Subaru and VW...

but says that he's always guaranteed he'll never be out of work with those brands.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
F..ked over rebuild dodge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I have a 2010 F150. I needed a standard cab 4x4 with a least a 6.5 foot bed, and this was all I could find locally and for under $10K ( this was 3 years ago). Now, at just 115K miles, both rockers are shot, both cab corners gone, the AC compressor locked up and both exhaust manifolds have head studs that rusted off and they leak. If it were paid for in full, I wouldnt keep it. As it is, I drive it maybe 5K per year, mainly just for hauling firewood and as a work vehicle when it snows. It serves its purpose but I fail to see what all the love for these trucks is all about.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,602 Posts
Ford Owners Recommend Dodge

A Guy

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Many years ago an old (to me at the time) Dodge guy & drag racer ('70 Challenger & '63 Dart Super Stock 426 wedge) said to me, and I will never forget it;

"Ford is a fraud, four wheels on a board, a biscuit tin with an engine in, only goes when you push it."

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some more examples of what FORD *really* stands for (you've probably heard these before though):
---------------------
Find
On
Road
Dead

---------------------

Fixed
Or
Repaired
Daily

Any others?
Friggin' Ole Rebuilt Dodge was always one I used to hear in my youth

Don't forget about their brilliant 7-lug wheels, a "better idea" that thankfully didn't last.

And that you "Go Further" in a Ford. The question is how fur you want to go. I'd rather go farther.
That's a possible selling point for Fords I think. "Ford. We'll take you as far as you're willing push."

Now that you mention it, I once had to walk about 6 miles because of a Ford. The danged thing got stuck in a creek, and the owner called me to come pull him out (I had a 4x4 'Hoe at the time), but it was a diesel and stuck up to the frame, so all I ended up doing was breaking a u-joint. This was back before anyone carried mobile phones, so we had to walk into town to get some more help...about 6 miles IIRC.

I must admit that I've never had enough tools or patience to own a Ford.
I smell another marketing opportunity: "Ford. Hey, mechanics gotta eat too!"

Ah, the early years of the Triton V8 - and that crappy spark plug design.

the early ones had 3 - 4 threads that the plug secured into the head. Hence, the self-ejecting spark plugs they were known for.

The later design had more threads to "resolve" one of the two problems - the self ejecting plug.

The 2nd design flaw is the body of the plug (non threaded) goes into the cylinder and carbon builds up and "locks" the plug to the plug bore.

You have to use penetrating solvent to help break down the carbon before attempting to remove the plug.
-if you didn't the plug could shear off...require the $2k special tool just for Ford! *imagine that* to extract the broken stub out of the head (without removing the cylinder head from engine)

Its not that uncommon that other makes have cylinder numbering like that. Mercedes V block engines to the 1-2-3, etc numbering as well.

But on top of that, Ford's Windsor engines have the #1 cyl on the passenger side of the block - just to be different yet again.

The newer Ford (and Nissan) V6 engines are no fun to work on. Cam timing chains on front and back side of the head. And access isn't great
My neighbor ended up leaving 4 plugs in the engine and not changing them because he couldn't get them broken loose and pulled out. It sounds like he was lucky he didn't push it and literally break them loose.

F**ked on race day
Fuhgetta abOut Racing Dude

Ford backwards... driver returns on foot.
Nice! I like that one.

Ford Owners Recommend Dodge

A Guy
But how much can we really trust the recommendation of someone who purchased a Ford in the first place. It seems to me their judgment, at the very least, is suspect when it comes to what vehicles to buy.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack B5 Blue
21 Posts
But how much can we really trust the recommendation of someone who purchased a Ford in the first place. It seems to me their judgment, at the very least, is suspect when it comes to what vehicles to buy.[/QUOTE]

I think everyone can make a mistake once in their life. It's when they've bought two or three that's when there's an issue.....

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think everyone can make a mistake once in their life. It's when they've bought two or three that's when there's an issue.....
Continuing to do something despite escalating consequences is the text book definition of addiction. So you're saying anyone who continues to buy a Ford, even after clear evidence that they would be better off choosing another brand, is actually an addict...a Ford addict?

Wow, that's a knowledge bomb if I ever heard one. But I'm on board...now we need to try to get a support network set up to help these poor schlubs...

Who's going to get the GoFundMe/Kickstarter account set up to take donations for the creation of localized chapters of NOMFA*???

* - stands for
Not
One
More
Ford
Anonymous

1 - 20 of 24 Posts