Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there was any doubt that the auto industry is rapidly changing, Ford just delivered proof. It will be reducing its small car lineup in North America to just two vehicles, the Mustang and the unrevealed Focus Active crossover, in the "next few years." Other models will be limited to SUVs, trucks and commercial vehicles. This is due to "declining consumer demand and product profitability."

It was also noted that it was adding hybrid powerplants to many of its vehicles, ranging from the Mustang to gas guzzlers like the Explorer and F-150. It will launch its first all-electric vehicle (the Mach 1 SUV) in 2020, and that it would have 16 EV models on the market by 2022.

Will the other manufacturers follow Ford's lead?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Ford's going to create a vacuum that FCA should jump to fill. Time to dump the competing Charger and make the 300 the luxury/sport/fleet sedan. FCA could dominate the taxi/police fleet with RWD sedans like Ford did with the Crown Vic for so many years. Dodge needs to keep on with the Challenger, add a better quality compact than the 200/Dart, maybe an electric car for the city folks....(but frankly, they'll all be taking mass transit or riding bikes in 20 years). Dump the Durango and Journey. All SUV's and Crossovers should be JEEP and RAM should add a compact (2wd and 4wd) pickup (smaller than the Wrangler pickup).

Internal combustion engines will be dwindling in places that voted for Hillary, but the other half of the country, electric will NEVER meet our needs.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
And watch as Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia, Mazda, & Nissan sell more cars that ever.

And those companies will make more profits than in recent years.

I will not be owning a truck, SUV or crossover - haven't in 40+ years and will continue to be that way.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
not quite the small and compact car segment is quickly dwindling in size, and in some sectors dramatically, the small suv, suv and truck market are exploding......FCA has already killed the Dart, 200 and with no replacements, FCA will most likely maintain their smaller car presence with Fiat which has improved significantly

look for the Jeep brand to get very very big.....in the near future

Luke

·
Registered
17 Posts
Internal combustion engines will be dwindling in places that voted for Hillary, but the other half of the country, electric will NEVER meet our needs.
This is an incorrect stereotype. I would have voted for Hillary (I can't legally vote in the US) but I drive a 6.4L V8.
I agree that more and more restrictive laws will arrive in an effort to help save the planet, but electric cars will not take over the gas powered ones for another 20 years at least.
Despite all the new laws passed since the 50's people can still drive their 70's muscle cars. They will not come and confiscate cars.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
This is an incorrect stereotype. I would have voted for Hillary (I can't legally vote in the US) but I drive a 6.4L V8.
I agree that more and more restrictive laws will arrive in an effort to help save the planet, but electric cars will not take over the gas powered ones for another 20 years at least.
Despite all the new laws passed since the 50's people can still drive their 70's muscle cars. They will not come and confiscate cars.
I said "places that voted for Hillary" as in "urban centers", big cities, and liberal bastions of environmentalism, not for "people" who voted for Hillary.

Laws won't drive the demand for electric cars (we throw leaders out of office every 4-8 years and reverse policies all the time). Economics will drive the change. Electric cars will be the norm when they're economically viable, and technically competitive, not when they're crammed down our throats by politicians with an agenda, and a pile of green-energy lobbyists' money in their pockets.

And like I said, there are entire swath's of the country, where electric vehicles will never be able to meet the needs of the consumer. At best, it will be novelty for city dwellers who think they're helping the planet (ignorant of how their electricity is generated or how much environmental damage is done to manufacture the batteries for their electric cars).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I said: "places that voted for Hillary" as in "urban centers", big cities, and liberal bastions of environmentalism, not for "people" who voted for Hillary.

Laws won't drive the demand for electric cars (we throw leaders out of office every 4-8 years and reverse policies all the time). Economics will drive the change. Electric cars will be the norm when they're economically viable, and technically competitive, not when they're crammed down our throats by politicians with an agenda, and a pile of green-energy lobbyists' money in their pockets.

And like I said, there is an entire swath of the country, where electric vehicles will never be able to meet the needs of the consumer. At best, it will be a novelty for city dwellers who think they're helping the planet (ignorant of how their electricity is generated or how much environmental damage is done to manufacture the batteries for their electric cars).
I see your point clearer now.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I said "places that voted for Hillary" as in "urban centers", big cities, and liberal bastions of environmentalism, not for "people" who voted for Hillary.

And like I said, there are entire swath's of the country, where electric vehicles will never be able to meet the needs of the consumer. At best, it will be novelty for city dwellers who think they're helping the planet (ignorant of how their electricity is generated or how much environmental damage is done to manufacture the batteries for their electric cars).
This. Ford is shooting itself in the foot.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Ford is not setting a trend. It just following a trend. Other car makers have announced they are cutting some small cars from their line up. There was an article in the WSJ about this oh must be several weeks ago now.

Yeah, from April 4, 2018:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-to-kill-chevrolet-sonic-subcompact-car-1522850577

Small cars are just not profitable even when factoring in the high profit margins of the sale of pickup trucks, SUVs that are applied to help cover the cost of the small cars.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
FORD Says No More Cars................

Read online FORD is ONLY going to make Trucks and SUV's after 2020....except for the Mustang and one other new model car they are coming out with.

Sounds crazy to me, especially if gas prices really shoot up.............

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I agree that more and more restrictive laws will arrive in an effort to help save the planet,
Ah.... the famous "saving the planet" phrase.

Not a big Carlin fan but I think this is his best gripe........

·
Registered
162 Posts
My thoughts are this:

1. Ford was producing really crappy sedans for a while now. The Focus was riddled with problems and the newly introduced Fiesta had a lot of build issues as well. The one area that they were really picking up steam was in the truck/suv lineup. Silver lining in this is that this should make Ford really push for the Bronco to come back into the US market, likely in 2020 after the release of the Ranger.

2. I'm glad Chrysler killed the dart and most importantly the 200. What a POS... Seriously. I don't know what they were thinking with that car. The dart was at least peppy and you could zip around in it. The 200 was like just plain horrible... slow, uneventful, droning, and could never keep up with anything in its own segment.

3. If they go the route of making the 300 a more performance oriented sedan, I don't see it being able to play in the same segment as Cadillac's Sport sedan lineup. I'm not sure what ambition anyone really has for the 300. Its a solid large sedan/family hauler. It will then always be relegated after the 2nd or 3rd owner to either an old man who likes his Sunday drives, or to some youth who will slam it, put it on dubs and rock a 5% tint on the windows.

4. I'd like to see more development in the Dodge challenger lineup by working more with composites to lighten the car up, or if we are going to keep this as straight-line performer, just leave it alone and update some tech featuers. I'd actually like to see a re-introduction of a Fury-named convertible with a lightweight unibody and a high-strung turbo V-6. It would sell, ohh, it would sell big time...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
WRONG!!

Let's keep politics out of it, huh?

Ultimately NOBODY will buy an electric car until the time comes when it actually makes sense.

If I tick off the points as to where we are NOW and where the trend is going.....I see it like this:

For now the price is still too high......but it's declining rapidly.

Charging vs filling up.....clearly still in favor of gasoline.

As it stands RIGHT NOW......electric is still a TOUGH SELL ......even to someone like me who has driven a Tesla and was BLOWN AWAY by it's ability to completely REDEFINE what I had previously though a "fast car" is.

Electric's big selling point is what has historically always sold cars. PERFORMANCE.....when you drive one it's inescapable. Electric is simply FASTER and more Responsive than ICE.

I can see a future as Ford and the rest of the auto industry seems to see it. We are probably living in the final days and years for cars powered as we have always known them.

This is just my opinion of course.......but I honestly think you may see homeowners as the first movers in this direction. Probably the commuter car that gets you to the grocery store and work. I can see a world coming where solar on the roof of your home disconnects you from your local utility. After that a car in the garage that can also benefit from this.........checking out the Tesla web site reveals a company looking to sell you far more than just a car.

None of this happens over night......it starts slow but it's easy to imagine it takes off HARD once the numbers work better in comparison to internal combustion costs of ownership.

Cheap gas prices delay this......expensive prices on higher world demand clearly accelerate it.

As Americans used to leading the world I think a lot of us ignore where the new demand is going forward and we probably shouldn't. China now sees more new cars sold each year than are sold in the USA. Think about that for a moment and then add to it India and so many other smaller countries now embracing the growth of Capitalism and the wealth it creates. We're gonna need EVERYTHING.......gas powered cars will last longer than the advocates of Electric currently believe but the doubters of Electric are wrong too.....that's coming faster than they realize as well.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ah.... the famous "saving the planet" phrase.

Not a big Carlin fan but I think this is his best gripe........

George Carlin - Saving the Planet - YouTube
I agree.......the whole "green" argument is CRAP and it'll never sell cars.

Electric will only dominate when and if it can show a performance and value benefit.

The Performance advantage is CLEARLY DEFINED....the value? Not-so-much........yet.

This video shows it pretty clearly.....a sedan chased down by a Hell Cat. In a 1/2 mile drag race the Hell Cat would win easily but repeated fails to catch up in the 1/4 mile. The take away is obvious. The instant torque in the electric car and it's multiple car length advantage grabbed in it's vastly superior 0-60MPH performance is actual street performance. Don't look for electric on the NASCAR circuit and super speedways.......but on the street for drivers who don't want to approach speeds that will send them to jail.....this is what TOTAL DOMINANCE looks like. A very heavy sedan badly embracing one of the fastest production street cars ever built.

Get the price point right and it's over for Gasoline.....not because it's "green".........but because it's performance is that much better.

https://youtu.be/oNYFYNyqDA8

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
My thoughts are this:

2. I'm glad Chrysler killed the dart and most importantly the 200. What a POS... Seriously. I don't know what they were thinking with that car. The dart was at least peppy and you could zip around in it. The 200 was like just plain horrible... slow, uneventful, droning, and could never keep up with anything in its own segment.

3. If they go the route of making the 300 a more performance oriented sedan, I don't see it being able to play in the same segment as Cadillac's Sport sedan lineup. I'm not sure what ambition anyone really has for the 300. Its a solid large sedan/family hauler. It will then always be relegated after the 2nd or 3rd owner to either an old man who likes his Sunday drives, or to some youth who will slam it, put it on dubs and rock a 5% tint on the windows.
You obviouisly never drove a 200"S" with the 3.6, it's faster than the 3.6 Challenger and handled well.
I wished they could have stuffed a 3.6 in a "SRT DART"......THAT would have been a hoot to drive!!

The 300 "S" is the performance version of the 300 and is a awesome ride......I've driven quite a few 300's and 200's, the only thing wrong with the 200 was that POS 9 speed ZF transmission.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
644 Posts
You obviouisly never drove a 200"S" with the 3.6, it's faster than the 3.6 Challenger and handled well.
I wished they could have stuffed a 3.6 in a "SRT DART"......THAT would have been a hoot to drive!!

The 300 "S" is the performance version of the 300 and is a awesome ride......I've driven quite a few 300's and 200's, the only thing wrong with the 200 was that POS 9 speed ZF transmission.
I agree the 200's is a great car. My wife owns one and it has been flawless and the car will move.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts