Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a fore single pump setup a while back when upgrading to a return style system compatible with E-85 fuel.
The issue I'm having is anytime I make a hard left for more than 5-8 seconds the engine starts missing, it's running out of fuel. This is with anything less than 3/4 tank.
I checked all 3 hoses on both hats and am not able to figure out what to do about this issue.
Fore says they don't recommend their application for road racing, I'm doing street racing on abandoned roads in "Mexico".
The factory setup didn't have this issue. If there is no fix I might go back to a factory setup.

I've thought about trying to install one of those hydromats that holley sells but I'm not sure if that would help.

Anyone have any recommendations?
thanks.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after considerable searching on the webs I found other people who were having this issue and it seems that problem could be a mis-aligned or damaged O ring on the pass side hat.
When converting to a return style setup the factory regulator is replaced with a "plug". Apparently it is easy to mis-align said plug and get fuel leaking around it. This will cause the fuel that should be sent over to the driver side to be dropped back into the pass side tank...
So once I'm down to less than 1/4 I'll pull the pass side hat (again) and see if I can verify the plug is correctly seated.
If all else fails the hydramat is an option, but it's not cheap.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If you don't have an internal fuel leak, which could be anywhere, the fix will be adding a second fuel pump...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you don't have an internal fuel leak, which could be anywhere, the fix will be adding a second fuel pump...
I've thought about that, but then I will have cavitation issues with whichever pump gets starved for fuel...plus I'd need to make another relay wiring harness and drop another $600 in parts.

Are you running the factory passenger (secondary) pump?
Yes the pass side fuel hat is in place, I have a new one that should be coming in later today.
I will install (carefully this time) the regulator block off and then replace the factory pass side assembly with the new unit.
The red circle is where the regulator block off goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Yes the pass side fuel hat is in place, I have a new one that should be coming in later today.
I will install (carefully this time) the regulator block off and then replace the factory pass side assembly with the new unit.
The reason I asked was that it could be the factory pump is having a heck of a time filling the driver side saddle tank. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I asked was that it could be the factory pump is having a heck of a time filling the driver side saddle tank. :grin2:
I wish lol :bigthumb:
I'm only making ~500hp, not near enough to starve the tank (I hope).

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I wish lol :bigthumb:
I'm only making ~500hp, not near enough to starve the tank (I hope).
Only 500hp.:grin2:

I don't know, but the guys from Arrington were adamant about keeping fuel above 1/4 tank when running their high flow pump with the 8psi SC setup to avoid fuel starvation. I assumed it was because the passenger side pump was not up to the task. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've thought about that, but then I will have cavitation issues with whichever pump gets starved for fuel...plus I'd need to make another relay wiring harness and drop another $600 in parts.

The red circle is where the regulator block off goes.
You have a completely different system from the one I'm installing right now. Mine has a primary and secondary fuel pump, both on the driver's side, and does away with the stock fuel bucket, which cannot fill fast enough to supply fuel to the pumps. My system is rated at 1,000 hp.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Oh and if you are running e85 500HP does take a lot more fuel which makes me suspect your stock secondary pump is most likely not producing enough flow.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fixed! the oring in the pass side hat failed, causing it to not return fuel to the drive side correctly.
Got the replacement orings installed and now it gets fuel all the time, cornering or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have a completely different system from the one I'm installing right now. Mine has a primary and secondary fuel pump, both on the driver's side, and does away with the stock fuel bucket, which cannot fill fast enough to supply fuel to the pumps. My system is rated at 1,000 hp.
I have the same setup, just single pump instead of dual.
It replaced the stock basket assembly all together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the fore single pump fuel setup has effectively turned my 17 gallon tank into a 13.
Anything less than 1/4 tank causes fuel starvation when making left turns or accelerating hard.
I am working with Holley and Fore to try and resolve this.
So far it's looking like a small "X" hydra-mat and some adapters.
More to follow...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
643 Posts
I know the jeeps have an issue regarding fueling in corners with fore pumps. MMX has been pushing the mats to correct the issues so hopefully that gets it done for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks. I spoke with Fore and MMX, both said the hydramat should fit onto the 450 pump with the plastic 11mm fitting. I hope one mat in the driver side tank does it, there is no room to mount a AN fitting and y connector.
The only other plan B would be fabricating a bucket or trying to add baffling to the tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts