Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Over the weekend I installed the Fore dual pump fuel hat as an upgrade to my dual pump setup from Arrington. The Fore had is just billet goodness and is a very nice piece. No rubber hoses or anything, all the fuel flows through channels in the aluminum making it very robust.

I opted for the Arrington upgrade to the wiring harness to get the load of two pumps off my stock wiring that's deigned for a single pump. A couple of times when working on the car I noticed the wiring at the fuel hat was warm to the touch. With the new Arrington harness (designed and produced by forum member Rwamser) it no longer gets warm at all. The power and ground wires to the pumps are upgraded to 10ga wire vs. the factory 16ga. The harness is also designed to handle 25+A of current with an inline fuse and 30amp relay. The instructions are well laid out and all the connectors are the nice Weatherpak type that are more heavy duty than even the stock connectors.

My fuel pressure went up about 8psi at the rail to boot, I believe due to the pumps getting more current than on the stock wiring.

Two Walbro 255LPH fuel pumps draw around 18A. The stock fuel system is designed to handle 20A so you're right at the limit on the stock wires.

There's video on my site of the install. The hardest part is the fuel level senders as you need to make some connections right at the fuel hat opening in the tank. That and the fact that Dodge used some wire colors twice on the connections means you have to pay attention to what pin goes where. All in all not too bad, but you do need to take your time and pay attention.

Make sure you have 1/4 tank or less of fuel before cracking open the hat.

Here's the pics....once the video processes on YouTube I'll add it here, but it's on my site currently.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
The Arrington wire harness is junk nothing personal Speedy. I threw mine in the trash when I opened the box. But the Fore product is a good high quality piece. Nice Video !!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Arrington wire harness is junk nothing personal Speedy. I threw mine in the trash when I opened the box. But the Fore product is a good high quality piece. Nice Video !!
We must not have gotten the same harness then BW. Mine is 10ga wire, every terminal on the ends soldered rather than just being crimped, and the connections are then covered in heat shrink. Then the whole harness is covered with split loom and taped up. It's how I'd have built my own.

If you hooked yours to the stock wiring I'd seriously consider getting better wiring. The stock stuff is too thin for two pumps and mine was getting pretty dang warm.

From what I found the pumps draw more amps at cruising speed than WOT, so the issue isn't just when you nail it.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Speedy I have built many race cars so I know a little about wiring. The Arrington Harness is TRASH!!! I would never put that in my car. I am glad it works for you. I installed mine with my own wiring along with a relay and a fuse just like a race car. I am not going to be left broke down on side of the road with that rookie wiring harness. It's not the correct way to have it done. They will be some drama down the road with that harness.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Speedy I have built many race cars so I know a little about wiring. The Arrington Harness is TRASH!!! I would never put that in my car. I am glad it works for you. I installed mine with my own wiring and relay just like a race car. I am not going to be left broke down on side of the road with that rookie wiring harness.
You got pics or info on your harness? Did SHR make it for ya? I thought they did your install for you. I'm interested in seeing some info on it.

Nearly all of the race car wiring I've ever seen looks like garbage. Yours may not, but the ones I've seen have just been slapped together to get the car to run and be easy to rip out.

Race car wiring has to last one race. Street car wiring has to last 30 years +.

This isn't your race car wiring is it hahaha?

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
SHR did install the Fore hat but we discussed how it needed to be installed without issue and ease of repair if needed. I will get some details for anyone offline not on the forum sorry its a trade secret.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SHR did install the Fore hat but we discussed how it needed to be installed without issue and ease of repair if needed. I will get some details for anyone offline not on the forum sorry its a trade secret.
Cool...shot you a PM. Interested to see what it looks like. I did some googling and most of the race car wiring harnesses/setups didn't look too good to me. Butt connectors, crimping, etc. I did find one article for circle track racing and they used Painless wiring setups that look just like what I have with Weatherpak connectors and all that.

5,134 Posts
Saying something is trash but not providing any more information than that is really weak. I mean, you could be right -- but how the hell could I know.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, you guys can see the pics of the harness I posted as well as in the video. You can decide if you think it's junk or not.

I have an engineering degree with an emphasis in electronics so I know a few things about wiring. I'm also OCD. So if this thing is on my car I think you guys know it's a quality piece.

I'd have built my own if it weren't.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
J VERY NICELY DONE AS ALWAYS :guiness:
GREAT DETAIL AND PHOTOS :guiness:

I am in the process of finishing up the fuel system with Fore Performance parts. I will not be using the harness that you used I'm letting the shop that does this handle those details the installer has a great background with Mercedes and Dodge and no issues with this. Same guy that figured out the Aeroforce Gauges but then again it's not shared information sorry...

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
You got pics or info on your harness? Did SHR make it for ya? I thought they did your install for you. I'm interested in seeing some info on it.

Nearly all of the race car wiring I've ever seen looks like garbage. Yours may not, but the ones I've seen have just been slapped together to get the car to run and be easy to rip out.

Race car wiring has to last one race. Street car wiring has to last 30 years +.

This isn't your race car wiring is it hahaha?

hahahahahah lmao good one j

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Speedy nice try Dude. That looks like a 9 second car at Atco on saturday nite!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't understand all the "it's not shared information stuff" when it comes to a fix to a problem. These are hot rods not nuclear weapons.

Maybe I should stop doing articles on all the upgrades I make.:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Speedy you help 99% of all on this forum. I don't mean any harm dude so please don't stop helping. I enjoy watching your write-ups the best of all on this forum. I hope you continue to contribute to all the Dodge owners. I used the information to pass on when I get asked a question. I tell all to go to Speedy's Garage.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Thanks Speedy, big fan of your site!
Was the upgraded really needed? Did you have fuel delivery issues? *

1 - 20 of 23 Posts