Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into putting getting a Maggie, my car has 60kmiles and is a daily driver, would investing in drop in pistons for added safety make sense or not worth the cost?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Along with pistons a custom tune done by a reputable tuner is also worth the $$$ IMO.

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
I am considering this too. I am at 6psi but I want to go to 8 and still feel safe. Some say 8 is fine for 5.7 but I'd rather go forged.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looking into putting getting a Maggie, my car has 60kmiles and is a daily driver, would investing in drop in pistons for added safety make sense or not worth the cost?
there great pistons i have them in mine and zero issues except to much power .........double check on the mileage though because unless something has changed i was told that there for motors with 20000 miles or less give or take a few thousand miles

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
The weak point in the 5.7L is the rings and how close the rings are to the top of the pistons. Anything you can do to strengthen them is always a good thing when adding power.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Subscribed.

I have a 6.1 with 35,000 miles was wondering if these can be dropped in or will the entire motor have to be torn down.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Subscribed.

I have a 6.1 with 35,000 miles was wondering if these can be dropped in or will the entire motor have to be torn down.

We like to see these installed under 20k, 35k is kind of pushing it. You will have to check the cylinders for wear before you drop them in. if they are still in spec then you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
How long does it typically take to put in a set of forged drop ins?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
How long does it typically take to put in a set of forged drop ins?
Probably varies depending on shops.

Assuming no rebalancing of rotating assembly needed, and you're not checking the deck and ptv clearance (so you can keep the heads on) some humpers will tell you they can do it in less than a day and then run through all of the tasks with hourly allotments and then bam, done in 8 hours. Most shops, probably two days. Assuming no backlog of work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts