Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few vendors on this site that sell new engines or engine upgrades. I assume that "forged internals" is one of the best upgrades you can get and most people do these becuase they want to add a supercharger or turbocharger and they want a lot of boost.

My question is, If you upgrade a challenger engine (either 6.1 or 5.7) with forged internals and then you decided not add add a "power adder" would the engine get any additional power just from the forged internals (I assume not) and would the engine last much longer now because of the internals upgrade? Would there be any other benefits to just upgrading the internals to forged ones? Would the cost pay off in the long run of running the car?

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
There are a few vendors on this site that sell new engines or engine upgrades. I assume that "forged internals" is one of the best upgrades you can get and most people do these becuase they want to add a supercharger or turbocharger and they want a lot of boost.

My question is, If you upgrade a challenger engine (either 6.1 or 5.7) with forged internals and then you decided not add add a "power adder" would the engine get any additional power just from the forged internals (I assume not) and would the engine last much longer now because of the internals upgrade? Would there be any other benefits to just upgrading the internals to forged ones? Would the cost pay off in the long run of running the car?
You will really need to know what your long term plan is before getting a forged rotating assembly. The reason for this is the CR that you choose to put in the engine will vary greatly. NA engine can run 10.5-11.5 depending on how aggressive you choose to be.

A good NA engine with a big cam and head package with 10.5 cr will get you
around the 500 rwhp easy.

When you build for a sc you lower the cr to 9.0-9.5 ish maybe even 10 but I would stay below 10 unless you really want a racer.

Call Josh at HHP he is very nice and has the best BES engines. It is springfest this week so if you don't immediately get ahold of him don't get discouraged keep trying.
Josh 1-302-399-6708
http://www.highhorseperformance.com/

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Look at it simply as a durability issue when upgrading lower-ends. The engine will simply take more abuse and power to limit parts breakage. Don't want to "lunch" weakazz pistons when you add that SC, Turbo or Nitrous system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The need for forgings depends on application. RPM and specific power output. There is no inherent benefit compared to cast as long as it was engineered properly to begin with. You are wasting your money unless you live at redline and/or have increased the power output.

The real reason I replied is if you are a 6.1 SRT owner, I would expect based on the output levels, that many of your parts are already forged. Crank and pistons at least. I can't verify as I have not torn one down but if you want to check yours, I can describe an easy test for the crank once you have it out! Pistons you can tell just by looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts