Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the 392 has any forged engine components? ie. crankshaft, Rods. I thought I read it in this forum but can't find.
(For future supercharger installation good to know).

J

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
There are no Forged parts at least in the sense you are referring to.
The most common failure will be the piston.

How much power are you trying for. This will determine the road you need to go down.
You can put a SC on your car as it site. You will end up around 475-500 RWHP.
It will be somewhat safe. The car will be a great street car and a lot of fun to drive.

Try and look to the future and what you want to have. Doing things twice costs more, but also spreads out the money spent over time so it helps some.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks Boatman. I thought the 6.1 had forged crank and rods and the 392 was built the same. I didn't find anything in my search about the new 392 engine using strengthen components. I am not planning anything in the near future. The car is fast enough for me as I traded in my classic R/T for it. Like night and day difference! :thumbsup:

thanks again!
J

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not sure I agree with the math. A SC on a vehicle that dyno's around 425-435+ stock and you'll only gain 40-75hp doesn't make sense.

To the TS, I just bought my 392 so I can't speak for the "tough" factor of the engine, but on my 5.7 I ran a 125hp shot of N20 all day.

How much power are you trying for. This will determine the road you need to go down.
You can put a SC on your car as it site. You will end up around 475-500 RWHP.
It will be somewhat safe. The car will be a great street car and a lot of fun to drive.

Try and look to the future and what you want to have. Doing things twice costs more, but also spreads out the money spent over time so it helps some.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the 392 Engine is suppose to be production at 470Hp out the door
I would think an SC would give it another 100 HP

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'm trying to understand this statement:

What does that mean? According to Dodge the crank is drop-forged steel and the rods are hot-forged (steel). Is drop-forged and hot-forged not the proper type of forging for forced-induction? What type of forging process should be used?

For forced-induction set-ups, the pistons would probably be the first to go because they are not forged. But if you're not super/turbo-charging, does forging the pistons really matter? Maybe 5% of the members on this forum have forced-induction systems on their cars. Forum members are the HYPER-enthusiasts of these cars. So I'd guess that only 1% percent of total Challengers would have super/turbo-chargers. I'd say that that's not enough of a demand to warrant forged pistons. But thankfully, there's an aftermarket...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does that mean? According to Dodge the crank is drop-forged steel and the rods are hot-forged (steel). Is drop-forged and hot-forged not the proper type of forging for forced-induction? What type of forging process should be used?
---------------------------
gr8srt8
where did you find that info at about the 392 engine above have a link?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
gr8srt8
where did you find that info at about the 392 engine above have a link?

Thanks
J
No link, but...

Mopar Action wrote an article called "Meeting the Challenger" this year. In it, on pages 26 and 27, they wrote up most of the specs on the new motor.

"Besides the obvious displacement increase, which was acheived via a 0.145" stroke job and a 0.035 bore, the block continues the Chrysler tradition of top-quality materials, being cast from premuim G3000 30KSi iron; deck height is raised a tod to 9.284". The crank is, of course, drop-forged steel, and the rods are also hot-forged. The heads are all-new..."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK great! I'll check it out. Looking at it now

thanks!!!
J

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
OK I will clarify.

Look at it this way, you need 20 feet of chain that holds 10000# 99 of the 100 links needed to get you to 20 feet are able to hold the weight but one of them can only hold 5000# The 99 strong ones really don't do you any good.

If you SC you could have problems if you do have problems most likely it's the pistons. If you forge to get stronger you then replace all links. Hope this helped you understand what I was saying.

Txwild man. The stock 6.1 dynoes out at 340-360 RWHP depending on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
OK I will clarify.

Look at it this way, you need 20 feet of chain that holds 10000# 99 of the 100 links needed to get you to 20 feet are able to hold the weight but one of them can only hold 5000# The 99 strong ones really don't do you any good.

If you SC you could have problems if you do have problems most likely it's the pistons. If you forge to get stronger you then replace all links. Hope this helped you understand what I was saying.
Boatman, I get your analogy. IF you super/turbo-charge, replace the weakest link: the pistons.

For N/A setups, do you think that the stockers will do ok?

I have these wheels for sale.
Where and what sizes?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Magnacharger quoted me around 120hp/120tq increases with their new 392 supercharger. Of course they are finishing the tune.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Boatman, I get your analogy. IF you super/turbo-charge, replace the weakest link: the pistons.

For N/A setups, do you think that the stockers will do ok?

Absolutly fine they are fine for a moderatly boosted setup that is tuned good also.
Where and what sizes?
I'm in Wyoming the wheels are here. 8.5x20 fronts and 10x20 rears. There brand new I did mount tires on them but they have never been on the road.
Magnacharger quoted me around 120hp/120tq increases with their new 392 supercharger. Of course they are finishing the tune.
When I put my Maggie on they did a stock dyno and that came in at 350. After I put it on it went to 511 also had a CAI and catback.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No link, but...

Mopar Action wrote an article called "Meeting the Challenger" this year. In it, on pages 26 and 27, they wrote up most of the specs on the new motor.

"Besides the obvious displacement increase, which was acheived via a 0.145" stroke job and a 0.035 bore, the block continues the Chrysler tradition of top-quality materials, being cast from premuim G3000 30KSi iron; deck height is raised a tod to 9.284". The crank is, of course, drop-forged steel, and the rods are also hot-forged. The heads are all-new..."

Yea I also like the the block on the 392 is painted orange. Looks cool!

J

·
Registered
396 Posts
Depends too on the lbs of boost you're going to try & run.
If you get crazy on the pulley & want to run like 14lbs then Yah do the bottom end

1 - 16 of 16 Posts