Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this cant be right was looking to get the 6.4L 2618 Drop In Forged Rod And Pistons Power Package on modern muscle for my 2015 scat pack . Here in san Antonio I was quoted 2500-3000 just from the machine shop and another 1200-2k for the labor of teardown and put back. Really 5k just to get beefed up engine , not including the parts. not really gaining any hp with forged internal am I? 2k more I can get a sc and just run 6psi. SO my question is it 5k to get drop in pistons and rods. Anybody know a place that is in TX that knows how to do . or what is the expected price. I asked why so much said well we have to balance them . I said they come balanced according to web site just drop in. Then they said well we have to forge the crank and on on and on. Thing is I know nothing about na cars. my last car was turbo and the n54 engine is bullet proof. stock psi was 9 ,I was running 22 psi on stock motor for over 50k no issues at all. I just don't wanna get screwd. I am willing to pay the normal price but 6k for drop in pistons seems a bit much. thanks

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Around here, that would be pretty reasonable for what it almost an overhaul.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn that ridiculous I'll just get a sc and not boost it much , sucks that these engine cant handle boost , yet my 3.0 engine could push over 600 hp and this is a 6.4 but maybe when a tune comes out things will get better wish they had something like the JB4 for BMWs I could change the tune using my phone . I know this is a completely different engine platform , but that where I am coming from and all I know . you guys on here are great and helping me understand the challenger better. thanks

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Crazy money to do those mods.Just buy the supercharger and have fun.When they guid those superchargers they build them to last like the engine would with out it.Run 6lb of boost and enjoy it for a long time. Edelbrock is offering a drivetrain warranty for 500 covers everything.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bottom line you pay to play with these 3rd gen Hemi's. If you want to mod a beast expect to pay some serious bucks. I doubt you'll be happy with just a 6psi 392 SC build considering u come from a 600hp car. The only way you can throw crazy boost at these engines is to forge them to all hell.........or just stay stock.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I wish I had the balls to pull the motor myself and take it to get forged. I'm thinking about pulling the motor in my jeep and if everything goes well pull the motor out of my challenger and save a few thousand. It would be nice if they made drop in pistons for the 5.7. If I had the option like you str8 guys of using drop in pistons I could get the guy that installed my supercharger to put them in cheap. I wish I knew about the hellcat before I start modding my car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I wish I had the balls to pull the motor myself and take it to get forged.
\

I have the balls. lol In about 6 months from now i'm pulling my 5.7 engine and doing the Arrington Performance 5.7 to 392 stroker. I'm going replace my stock block with the Arrington stroker 5.7 to 392 block with forged pistons, rods, and crank. I was going go with the 410, but after talking with the guys at Arrington the 410 is just not a good option for boost. I plan on running at least 12psi of boost in the future once my supercharger goes on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah looks like its way cheaper to get a new engine, then to just open it up and make it stronger, what a waste of an engine.Do you have to turn it in, or would I sell it to someone , like someone who has a 5.7 and they wanna upgrade

·
Registered
101 Posts
yeah looks like its way cheaper to get a new engine, then to just open it up and make it stronger, what a waste of an engine.Do you have to turn it in, or would I sell it to someone , like someone who has a 5.7 and they wanna upgrade
Your short block would be a core. If you want to keep your short block it may add around $2k to the price tag.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Talk to who ever your buying the engine from about a trade.I would keep the original engine for if and when you want to sell the car or you blow up the race engine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well gonna get forged pistons and rods, a new cam for the stroked 430 and studs and bearing about 8k cause i am using my engine. Then in Feb going to add procharger. I went with procharger cause I like the way the boost comes on. I just drove a 700 hp 2014 kb sc challenger and a 2013 procharged challenger. The kb boost comes on like a on and off switch dangerous if your driving around town and have to give it some gas. Good for the track cause that thing hauls. Procharger boost come on more linear which is good for around town with an occasional race from time to time.

·
Registered
424 Posts
well gonna get forged pistons and rods, a new cam for the stroked 430 and studs and bearing about 8k cause i am using my engine. Then in Feb going to add procharger. I went with procharger cause I like the way the boost comes on. I just drove a 700 hp 2014 kb sc challenger and a 2013 procharged challenger. The kb boost comes on like a on and off switch dangerous if your driving around town and have to give it some gas. Good for the track cause that thing hauls. Procharger boost come on more linear which is good for around town with an occasional race from time to time.

Nice decisions for your ride. I'm going go with a Procharger also for about the same reasons you're. Are you having a machine shop bore your stock block into a 430? How much boost you plan on running?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes a machine shop going to bore the stock. The build should be good for at least12 psi but I am not upgrading the fuel or drivetrain or heads, so prob keep it 8psi, may try 10 if 8 looks good on dyno and logs

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I still have a meth pump from my bmw and 5 gal of meth so that's an easy set up. Can these cars run e85 if there is a fuelpump for it, I doubled my hp on my last car 300/to 628 all I added was a inline pump to the fuel and some colder plugs. Where are you located?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did the drop ins on my scat. Running a procharger d1 @ 11lb. Going to pulley it to about 14 lb this Friday. Also did ported heads, blower cam and longtubes. Modern muscle did the engine work. No balancing required.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes sir , I am use to it my bmw was constantly getting tuned as new and improved logging came out monthly. this will still be a step by step build. first make engine strong then add boost and then I'll figure whats next lol . I had to let of the gas on my automatic when I switched gears until I got my tranny built up on my last project car

1 - 20 of 22 Posts