Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't wanna learn the hard way
Which are the best forged pistons for 8-10 lbs of boost and why?
Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My motor is just over 21k miles
I was thinking arrington possibly I don't know if anyone has any experience with their pistons
Just want to be overly safe if I go with 10lbs boost

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That will run like 3-4k prob right?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Take it from someone that did learn the hard way, do it right the first time and save big $$$

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be ideal but it's a bit out of my budget
Not looking to spend more than 12-13k total

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Arringtons and Modern Muscle Drop in 392 Pistons are the same. Good for about 10lbs of boost on a 392. we are also working on some 2618 Drop in Pistons and rod setup that we hope to have finished in a few weeks. We like to see these installed on motors between 20-30k miles of course the lower the better.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arringtons and Modern Muscle Drop in 392 Pistons are the same. Good for about 10lbs of boost on a 392. we are also working on some 2618 Drop in Pistons and rod setup that we hope to have finished in a few weeks. We like to see these installed on motors between 20-30k miles of course the lower the better.
So I'm going to be walking the fine line running 9-10 lbs of boost with the forged pistons

·
Registered
326 Posts
So I'm going to be walking the fine line running 9-10 lbs of boost with the forged pistons
i dont think even close jay i have the modern muscle drop in pistons in my 6.1 2009 i am running 9lbs of boost and hp as stated in my sig no issues i have actually been thinking about kicking the boost up one more time 2 lbs more....but i am going to wait till the summer when its real hot to see if its neccessary the car is such a animal right now i am not sure if its necessary .....if it performs the same way in the summer in houston weather i will leave it alone

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
While we are on this subject... my vehicle has 42K on it. What are my options on swapping out to a forged pistons, springs, valves and whatever else is needed?

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
See article on forged pistons...

In the Spring Mopar Now Magazine. According to them:

Arrington Performance/Shophemi.com will drop the pistons in.

You can bring your car in, or ship your motor. They do this (article quotes):

-Disassemble. If no problems are found with motor, the re-piston is started.

-Arrington has worked with "Mahle" pistons, and developed a propriety design (high density 4032 alloy forged).

-The new pistons are installed.

-12 month/12,000 mile warranty

- Labor, inspection of motor, oil change for $3K

-5.7 IS GOOD FOR 10 PSI. 6.4 IS GOOD FOR 12 PSI

Arrington Performance/Shophemi.com
866-844-1245

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,050 Posts
While we are on this subject... my vehicle has 42K on it. What are my options on swapping out to a forged pistons, springs, valves and whatever else is needed?
Good question ChrisNCT. I've got about 43K miles on my 392 and don't plan on doing any major performance mods on mine for awhile. I'm guessing I'll have 53-60k miles by the time I get ready to install forged parts and SC. Should I just forget about it?????.............. :5:

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
According to Arrington....

Arrington has worked with "Mahle" pistons, and developed a propriety design (high density 4032 alloy forged). Are good FOR 12 psi IN 392.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,050 Posts
In the Spring Mopar Now Magazine. According to them:

Arrington Performance/Shophemi.com will drop the pistons in.

You can bring your car in, or ship your motor. They do this (article quotes):

-Disassemble. If no problems are found with motor, the re-piston is started.

-Arrington has worked with "Mahle" pistons, and developed a propriety design (high density 4032 alloy forged).

-The new pistons are installed.

-12 month/12,000 mile warranty

- Labor, inspection of motor, oil change for $3K

-5.7 IS GOOD FOR 10 PSI. 6.4 IS GOOD FOR 12 PSI

Arrington Performance/Shophemi.com
866-844-1245
Thanks for the info bud......... You are fortunate to live so close to where Arrington (and Modern Muscle) are located. I have no doubt that both of these shops are the "go to" shops for our cars and have the most experience at what they do. Unfortunately for a lot of us out west and in middle America distance makes it difficult and cost prohibitive. Anyone want to chime in on shops in TX, OK, CO, AZ, CA, KS, who have experience with our cars?

:5:

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I don't know what shipping motors costs...

Thanks for the info bud......... You are fortunate to live so close to where Arrington (and Modern Muscle) are located. I have no doubt that both of these shops are the "go to" shops for our cars and have the most experience at what they do. Unfortunately for a lot of us out west and in middle America distance makes it difficult and cost prohibitive. Anyone want to chime in on shops in TX, OK, CO, AZ, CA, KS, who have experience with our cars?

:5:

But according to the article, you can ship it, and they ship it back when done. It may cost less than driving somewhere, staying a few days, and driving back. Not sure, but it may be worth it. Call Arrington, I bet they can give you rough estimates as they do this all the time. I bet "Steve White," may have similar deals. Call Luke.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,050 Posts
But according to the article, you can ship it, and they ship it back when done. It may cost less than driving somewhere, staying a few days, and driving back. Not sure, but it may be worth it. Call Arrington, I bet they can give you rough estimates as they do this all the time. I bet "Steve White," may have similar deals. Call Luke.

c26bt34c..........I know you're trying to be helpful. I/we all read the part about shipping the engine.....pulling the engine in itself is just another expense that makes this a non-option for most of us out west. It would probably be better to just ship the whole car if I were going that route. I'd want to do the forged parts and install/tune the SC.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ok you guys are starting to make
Me nervous. My car is going is going in next week to have an E-Force put on and I'm not having the pistons done. If we keep it conservative will I have problems? It's a 392 with 12k miles on it. Installer said he has done a bunch of these and had never had an engine go down. I'm also getting the warranty offered by Edelbrock for power train warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 46 Posts