Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going in at the end of the month to the Westbury Dodge Hemi Shop(Jim & AJ's shop) for more power.I am currently running 8lbs & a little over 500rwh on my Maggie & we are looking to run up to 12lbs & achieve a little over 600 rwh/tq.
They feel confident that this will easily be achieved.
Besides forging my 6.1,bigger injectors,dual pumps & a few other goodies are going in.
The engine should be bullet proof at these power levels,since it is being built from scratch for a blower.
I will soon be worthy to be in the same company as Hemi Sam,Speedy & the other over 600rwhp/tq maniacs.
I'm on my way to therapy as we speak!:thumbsup:See my therapist below,Dr.Berge

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very nice, Tony! What CR are you planning on going with?

HemiSam
AJ & Jim want to keep everything as is for driveability & our power goals(600rwhp/Tq). I trust their judgement.
The forged shortblock is presently on it's way from Arrington.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
So you're keeping the CR the same as stock, Tony? That will be interesting. I think keeping the CR up is good. Not sure about stock, but up I'm beginning to think is better than lowered. Less boost required which I think is a good thing. More efficient.

HemiSam

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So you're keeping the CR the same as stock, Tony? That will be interesting. I think keeping the CR up is good. Not sure about stock, but up I'm beginning to think is better than lowered. Less boost required which I think is a good thing. More efficient.

HemiSam
I guess that is what AJ & Jim have also figured out .:)

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Congrats also get AJ to order you a Transmission you will need it!!

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Yea I'm not a engine builder but I never got the reason for lowering the compression way down. Then just adding boost why not keep compression up a little and boost a little lower? I never really asked the question but will when I'm ready to build. I don't plan on going below 9.5.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Boat,

It's good to see you bring your experience to the table. It wasn't long ago that most reputable modern MOPAR engine builders recommended lower compression for boost applications to address detonation. Only recently has it become more common to forge a 6.1 w/o stroking it and raising the CR closer to stock. You're clearly cutting edge ;-)

HemiSam

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ya Sam, There's been lots of bad advice out there for a long time.

Op, you couldn't have choosen a better shop to handle your build. AJ and the boys will build you a very nice combo.

And like BW pointed out, better get ready for a tranny too, you're going to need it.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Boat,

It's good to see you bring your experience to the table. It wasn't long ago that most reputable modern MOPAR engine builders recommended lower compression for boost applications to address detonation. Only recently has it become more common to forge a 6.1 w/o stroking it and raising the CR closer to stock. You're clearly cutting edge ;-)

HemiSam
Well that's why I'm here, cutting the edge. I wouldn't call it common yet.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Thanks for bringing the knowledge to the table, Boat. I feel better knowing you got our backs with all the modern hemi modding experience.

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts

HemiSam
BINGO!!! It's catching on:thumbsup: Sam, lets say your current setup was 10.5 CR, you would only have to run 10lbs to get the same RWH you have now. I don't see why people are so scared of running higher CR SC motors:scratchhead: Every stock SC R/T is running 10.5 CR, add 8.5-9 lbs of boost and your over 500+ RWH. If arrington sends AJ the same 6.0 motor sam and J has with 10-10.5 CR that car will make over 600RWH with 12lbs. The plus side to higher CR is the 2.3 blower doesn't have to work as hard:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Tony congrats is your car a 6 speed? if so then I would suggest upgrading the clutch and half shafts when you swap the bullet... spec 900 clutch would be a good choice. :)

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
BINGO!!! It's catching on:thumbsup: Sam, lets say your current setup was 10.5 CR, you would only have to run 10lbs to get the same RWH you have now. I don't see why people are so scared of running higher CR SC motors:scratchhead: Every stock SC R/T is running 10.5 CR, add 8.5-9 lbs of boost and your over 500+ RWH. If arrington sends AJ the same 6.0 motor sam and J has with 10-10.5 CR that car will make over 600RWH with 12lbs. The plus side to higher CR is the 2.3 blower doesn't have to work as hard:thumbsup:
It's an interesting shift in the market, Karl. I'd like to see what percentage of built motors in modern hemi's, say in the last 18 months...heck the last year, have CR's close to stock and are blown. Also, how many are built/forged and maintain stock displacement. I'd bet it's pretty dang low. Interesting evolution indeed. Hopefully we'll see these builds rack up miles on them over the next few years w/o problems.

HemiSam

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
H/D Clutch Going In

Tony congrats is your car a 6 speed? if so then I would suggest upgrading the clutch and half shafts when you swap the bullet... spec 900 clutch would be a good choice. :)
Thanks to Hemi Sam & Speedy's advise a Spec 900 is going in.:thumbsup:No DR's in the near future,so the half shafts will come later.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
The reason most of the engines company's drop the compression ratio for a forced induction application is fairly simple. The higher the compression the more octane needed to prevent detonation. If your not prepared to run higher octane stay at the lower compression.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
You'll like that SPEC, Tony. The release up at the very top of the pedal takes a bit of getting used to, but it grows on you. Just do some hairy burnouts to seat it good, and it'll be like butta' before long :)

It's a shame it's covered up. The billet flywheel and the unit really are nice to look at.

HemiSam

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
You'll like that SPEC, Tony. The release up at the very top of the pedal takes a bit of getting used to, but it grows on you. Just do some hairy burnouts to seat it good, and it'll be like butta' before long :)

It's a shame it's covered up. The billet flywheel and the unit really are nice to look at.

HemiSam
ain't that the truth the clutch assemblies are a real beauty and you only see them once hopefully :guiness: the attention to detail that the companies do is outstanding :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts