Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have owned my car for a bit over 16k miles, and have done 2 oil changes in that time (the dealer had done one just before I bought it used with 56k on the clock). When I did the 1st oil change I noticed a bulge/dip in the front underbody panel in front of the frame. I was pressed for time and I remember thinking, I should pull that panel and see what is causing the bulge. Well when I did the 2nd oil change yesterday I had some time so I pulled the panel. I found this:

The damper weight was lodged between the frame and the bulged panel, it has to have been there at least as long as I have owned the car as I never heard it come loose, and I am the only driver.

Since I took it out a metal on metal buzz that could be heard since I got the car at low speeds letting the clutch out in a parking lot for example is gone. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️ here I always thought it was just a loose heat shield that was in need of "persuasion"...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
Had the part been replaced, or are you running sans?

A Guy

Reactions: hemi4us and 6.4Mike

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the part been replaced, or are you running sans?

A Guy
Apparently I have been running sans for over 16k miles at this point -__- I kinda wonder if it is even worth it to tear everything down to put a new damper in place, or just live with the accelerated engine wear and proceed with my plan to set money aside and build the 426 all motor bottom end I want.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
Apparently I have been running sans for over 16k miles at this point -__- I kinda wonder if it is even worth it to tear everything down to put a new damper in place, or just live with the accelerated engine wear and proceed with my plan to set money aside and build the 426 all motor bottom end I want.
More important than any wear the dampener might prevent the bigger concern is the torsional stresses of the crankshaft it dampens. If not dealt with the crankshaft can break.

While you may be ok with losing the engine a busted crank can result in an accident if the crank snaps at some speed.

Yeah, it hasn't happened. But I'd not risk it but instead get the dampener replaced. If you are going to build a 426 I think dealing with a dampener R&R is within you capabilities.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More important than any wear the dampener might prevent the bigger concern is the torsional stresses of the crankshaft it dampens. If not dealt with the crankshaft can break.

While you may be ok with losing the engine a busted crank can result in an accident if the crank snaps at some speed.

Yeah, it hasn't happened. But I'd not risk it but instead get the dampener replaced. If you are going to build a 426 I think dealing with a dampener R&R is within you capabilities.
Fair enough, I had not considered that aspect of it. Do they make a fluidampener for our cars? I have not been able to find one.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Hold the phone, is yours MISSING ??? Did i break and get changed out but old part was left where U found it ???

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not in the crank pulley so it must have fallen out when the previous owner had the car. Who knows how many thousands of miles have been driven without it in addition to the 16k I have on it since I bought it. The rubber ring was still tucked into the pulley, however it took some effort to remove from the inside of the pulley.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
this is one for the books..jjeezz!!
I certainly would be concerned about internal stresses runningwithout, especially hard / high rpms..that or go buy a lotto ticket, cuz you are one very lucky guy..lol

Reactions: 6.4Mike

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Fair enough, I had not considered that aspect of it. Do they make a fluidampener for our cars? I have not been able to find one.
I don't know. I would just arrange to replace the damaged dampener with a new factory dampener. IOWs, make this area of the engine like it was when it left the factory.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know. I would just arrange to replace the damaged dampener with a new factory dampener. IOWs, make this area of the engine like it was when it left the factory.
The concern I have is that a new one would self destruct just the same. Based on that alone I would want an aftermarket part rated to higher RPM. After I had this happen I searched the forum regarding this issue and it certainly seems to be a common problem. I know ATI makes an upgrade but it is the standard type.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
The concern I have is that a new one would self destruct just the same. Based on that alone I would want an aftermarket part rated to higher RPM. After I had this happen I searched the forum regarding this issue and it certainly seems to be a common problem. I know ATI makes an upgrade but it is the standard type.
My 2nd hand info -- based on a number of years on various car forums -- is crankshaft dampener failures are very rare. In fact, I can't recall ever coming upon one before your post.

Thus I would have no reservations about replacing the bad dampener with an identical one a new one sourced from a Dodge dealer parts department.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts