Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge challenger rallye redline
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So while I was on the hunt for a dash rattle that was coming from under the dash behind the speedo I ran across this ImageUploadedByAG Free1495669866.877465.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1495669876.649819.jpg
So since I was in there already I took off the 4 bots holding the plate in and knocked off the rust and hit it with some rustoleum primer then painted it black. I know it will probably never see the light of day again but it helps me sleep at night knowing I stopped the rust lol ImageUploadedByAG Free1495670119.271890.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,784 Posts
Insidious :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
That's not really an issue. It's a little surface rust under the dash. There is a certain amount of moisture that collects in your mats and floor area when it rains. That's not the type of rust that will cause you problems in the long run. Primer is a porous substance so it not a fix for any long term rust anywhere on a car. You could use a little light sandpaper or steel wool to remove that rust and if you are really bothered by the surface rust on that interior panel prime it and paint it with a good quality spray paint. That rust will never bother you again. Primer alone is not a fix.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not really an issue. It's a little surface rust under the dash. There is a certain amount of moisture that collects in your mats and floor area when it rains. That's not the type of rust that will cause you problems in the long run. Primer is a porous substance so it not a fix for any long term rust anywhere on a car. You could use a little light sandpaper or steel wool to remove that rust and if you are really bothered by the surface rust on that interior panel prime it and paint it with a good quality spray paint. That rust will never bother you again. Primer alone is not a fix.

Yes I know it's not major lol I guess you skimmed I did take care of it the right way. But what I was getting at is knowing it was there would kill my ocd if I didn't fix it ?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Did you find the rattle? I tore into my dash too,even put Dynamat under speaker panel top front of dash at windshield.
Got rid of the small rattle, but still had a loud one.After all that it turned out to be the cowl plastic on the outside below windshield.
I lifted up on it and it seemed loose and made a loud scrapping sound and rattled.
So anyway popped it loose,had to remove windshield wiper arms,put trim tape under it and around attachment points.
No more rattle.

So you might check that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you find the rattle? I tore into my dash too,even put Dyno mat under speaker panel top front of dash at windshield.
Got rid of the small rattle, but still had a loud one.After all that it turned out to be the cowl plastic on the outside below windshield.
I lifted up on it and it seemed loose and made a loud scrapping sound and rattled.
So anyway popped it loose,had to remove windshield wiper arms,put trim tape under it and around attachment points.
No more rattle.

So you might check that.

Don't know yet didn't get a chance to drive it. Before I could just rest my hand on the dash above the speedo and it would go away so fingers crossed I got it but I'll find out I hate rattles and creaks I've been fighting them in my work trucks like crazy. But I will remember what fixed yours if I get another one lol ? I am a avid believer in the dynamat family

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Yes I know it's not major lol I guess you skimmed I did take care of it the right way. But what I was getting at is knowing it was there would kill my ocd if I didn't fix it ?
I have OCD as well. You have to do what lets you sleep at night. Enjoy your car!

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
It probably doesn't help if the car gets driven in the winter that the salt, brine stuff getting tracked in to the floorboard area that stuff is corrosive and with it mixing with moisture collecting on the metal parts of the lower dash. I will be watching these areas closely and maybe doing some preventive prepping and painting there this summer before winter on my GT.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It probably doesn't help if the car gets driven in the winter that the salt, brine stuff getting tracked in to the floorboard area that stuff is corrosive and with it mixing with moisture collecting on the metal parts of the lower dash. I will be watching these areas closely and maybe doing some preventive prepping and painting there this summer before winter on my GT.

Thank goodness Oregon doesn't salt the roads I've seen cars from other states that do and oh my the undercarriages are thrashed ?

Good luck with yours!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts