Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had some challenges with my FR 20x10.5 25mm offset with 315 Conti DWS. I had rubbing on both sides at the 9 oclock position bad. I added 3mm spacers and it still rubbed but only hard turns. I did some minor wheel tub mods and upped my psi to 40 and it seems to be good so far.

Im not a full believer 315s could fit with no mods anymore. At least with Contis. Maybe my car is one of the few that has tighter tolerances but it was undriveable without mods.

My tires do poke out about 2mm and are not fully tucked. Not too happy about that.

Trying to figure out what tbe issue is. Almost like my wheels are not the stated offset.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
315/35R20?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
Rubbing inside wheel well at 9 0'clock position on bumps? On tread, on inside sidewall? Many have had 315's, even on lowered cars on 2015+ with no issue with 10.5" 25 offset.

A Guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Rubbing inside wheel well at 9 0'clock position on bumps? On tread, on inside sidewall? Many have had 315's, even on lowered cars on 2015+ with no issue with 10.5" 25 offset.

A Guy
On the inside well with no spacers was making rubbing sounds while dropping the lift. I added 3mm spacers and it was rubbing on any left or right turn on both sides . With all thr research i have done i didnt find anyone with this my issues with fr.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
I believe there is a slight hump in the sheet metal under the liner at the 9-10 o'clock. Some have..."massaged" that to fix clearance issues. I know different tires are different dimensions even if 315/35. The Nitto's for instance are said to be narrower. I do believe people do run the Conti's with no clearance issues. Every car is different of course. Hopefully someone with this setup will reply. A Guy

·
Registered
602 Posts
I run the Factory Reproduction 20x10.5 wheels on the rear of my Challenger with 305/35/20 NT555R's, and there is only about 3/8" gap between the back of the tire and the small hump at 9:00 o'clock on drivers side, 3:00 o'clock on passenger side. There is no way a 315/35/20 would work on my wheels unless I ran spacers.

Reactions: eddie1218 and A Guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run the Factory Reproduction 20x10.5 wheels on the rear of my Challenger with 305/35/20 NT555R's, and there is only about 3/8" gap between the back of the tire and the small hump at 9:00 o'clock on drivers side, 3:00 o'clock on passenger side. There is no way a 315/35/20 would work on my wheels unless I ran spacers.
I 100% agree with u. Alot of ppl said it will fit. Even fr said it would fit. I dont see how 315s fit without a spacer, hammering down the bump at 3/9 oclock, and wheel well cuts. Ppl swearing to me they did this without any mods on a challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just purchased a complete set of Factory Reproduction Demon replica wheels.

What is interesting is the offset on the 20x10.5 Demon replica wheel is 22mm, not 25mm like the FR 20x10.5 Hellcat replicas.
You would think if the 25mm was sufficient to run 315 tires, Factory Reproduction would have stayed with that offset.
Instead, they chose to push the wheel out 3mm more. :thinkerg:

https://factoryreproductions.com/shop/dodge/style-73/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just purchased a complete set of Factory Reproduction Demon replica wheels.

What is interesting is the offset on the 20x10.5 Demon replica wheel is 22mm, not 25mm like the FR 20x10.5 Hellcat replicas.
You would think if the 25mm was sufficient to run 315 tires, Factory Reproduction would have stayed with that offset.
Instead, they chose to push the wheel out 3mm more. :thinkerg:

https://factoryreproductions.com/shop/dodge/style-73/

Hmm.... very interesting

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine is a 2011 so the 315s really really didn't fit without modifications. The MT SC-5 were 20x10.5 with 24mm spacer. Had to add another 3mm spacer, and roll the fenders. The drive home from the dealer cut up my contis pretty bad, but I don't think it did the kind of damage where the tires need to be replaced. After having my fenders rolled twice I only get rubbing when I hit a bump at highway speeds with passengers. The tires also stick out the sides a small amount.

But hey, at least these suckers grab...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The guys who ran 315 with no issues were the older Nitto models and Vreds. They run small ..almost like 300 mm rather than 315.
Conti, Bridgestone and Goodyear run big. My Bridgstones measured 325.
I even had old school 295/50/15 tires decades ago ..I measured them and they were in fact 325mm wide not even 295mm. They were BF Goodrich T/A tires. They looked like a beast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I measured my 315 conti dws on the rim and they measured just under 13 inchs. That was definitely my problem. I swapped them out with 295 of the same type and they measure 12.2 on the rims. To put that in perspective nitto 315 measure 12 on the rim. Continental is trippin.

·
Registered
486 Posts
A couple of things to take into consideration when you're trying to compare mounted tire widths.

1. A tire's section width (also called "cross section width") is the measurement of the tire's width from its inner sidewall to its outer sidewall (excluding any protective ribs, decorations or raised letters) at the widest point.(Unloaded)

2. The manufacturer's published tire width is when it's mounted on the stated "measuring rim width", sometimes referred to as the tire's "design rim width."
(example: most 315 tires design width is 11")

3. The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10"(5mm).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thx for the info. I never realized that 315s from different manufactures mounted on the same wheel have that much of a width different. Almost 1.25" difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts