Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is colder, I've been using the heated wheel function in my SRT, and now a downside has reared its head. The heater apparently softens the leather significantly, to the point that I'm finding scarring of the leather on the rim of the wheel, presumably from a (smooth, no edges) ring I wear. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there anything I can do to undo or minimize the existing damage?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,138 Posts
On any of the cars I have had with leather wheels, the only thing that I found that helps their condition, is just plain use. Like your natural skin oils and pressure seem to help. Anything else I have tried either makes it worse or does nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Do you leave the heated steering wheel on the entire time you are driving? I love it for the fact that I hate wearing gloves when I drive. I turn my heated steering wheel off in 10 minutes or less. I just find it gets too hot for my tastes. I just want to point out my car is now 4 years old, and I don't have any scarring or anything on the leather. I do give it a coat of leather cleaner/conditioner a couple of times a year, along with my seats.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
88 Posts
I put a cover on my steering wheels and don't use the heater.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Now that the weather is colder, I've been using the heated wheel function in my SRT, and now a downside has reared its head. The heater apparently softens the leather significantly, to the point that I'm finding scarring of the leather on the rim of the wheel, presumably from a (smooth, no edges) ring I wear. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there anything I can do to undo or minimize the existing damage?
I've not had that issue and I use the heated wheel on the regular this time of year. If it's actual damage may want to have the dealer take a look if you still have the warranty.
I'm certifiably crazy when it comes to my steering wheels. I make sure I wash my hands everyday before I leave work so I don't muck it up with the daily grime from my hands. (I work in an office and I still do this)
I think clean hands is the best thing you can do in general for longevity. Another thing I like to use is Meguiars interior cleaner on my wheel once in a while to remove the hand grime. I never use any type of protectant or armorall type stuff, ever. Maybe try a mildy damp microfiber and see if you can remove any of the marks first and go from there....Good luck! 1579295674608.png

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,859 Posts
I don't have any rings and never thought about getting a cover, but the dingbat who drove my car around while it was getting repaired after the crash did and tore a chunk out.

Now I have one, but too little too late...

·
Registered
70 Posts
On occasion, especially this time of year, I use the heated steering wheel and heated seats. I shut off the heated steering wheel after about 10-15 minutes. I also wear leather palmed gloves with out the finger tips so as to avoid any contamination from skin oils damaging the leather covering on the steering wheel. I use 303 protectant and that has worked well for me on leather & vinyl surfaces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts