Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having put a new set of wheels on this year, I decided it was worth repainting my brake calipers. Went totally wild and went from red to slightly brighter red. Here's a few shots below. It's hard to see from these angles and light levels, but I used the leftover paint on the shock absorbers which are normally yellow, but now they match my brake calipers. Since the new wheels are more open, you can see the matching shock absorbers behind the rear wheels. I did the fronts too, but they're particularly hard to see due to the large front rotors.

IMG_20200405_170413744_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200405_170352342_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200405_170545734_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200405_170602624_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200405_170633979_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,225 Posts
Having put a new set of wheels on this year, I decided it was worth repainting my brake calipers. Went totally wild and went from red to slightly brighter red. Here's a few shots below. It's hard to see from these angles and light levels, but I used the leftover paint on the shock absorbers which are normally yellow, but now they match my brake calipers. Since the new wheels are more open, you can see the matching shock absorbers behind the rear wheels. I did the fronts too, but they're particularly hard to see due to the large front rotors.

View attachment 991207 View attachment 991208 View attachment 991210 View attachment 991211 View attachment 991212
Looks good! (y)

I like the visual profile i get when viewing it from the side, but I think there is one last thing you could do that would make it even harder for admirers to look away once their eyes were drawn into looking at it: lower it about an inch all the way around.

Not only would that look badazz(er), but it would improve the car’s handling around sharp corners and curves. That’s a win-win for you!! 🤓

·
Registered
2016 R/T
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good! (y)

I like the visual profile i get when viewing it from the side, but I think there is one last thing you could do that would make it even harder for admirers to look away once their eyes were drawn into looking at it: lower it about an inch all the way around.

Not only would that look badazz(er), but it would improve the car’s handling around sharp corners and curves. That’s a win-win for you!! 🤓
Thanks man. I've thought about it for a long time, but have always been worried about losing that clearance, especially now that I'm running 315's in the rear. If I ever do it, I'll make sure to post it!

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
Thanks man. I've thought about it for a long time, but have always been worried about losing that clearance, especially now that I'm running 315's in the rear. If I ever do it, I'll make sure to post it!
Well you will have to plan ahead, so to speak, when you get low down. It took me several years to dial in my spidey sense so that I could avoid bottoming out or dragging someplace I was going, but I love the curves so it was worth it to me.

However, there are some scenarios which are regrettably out of your hands when you have a lowered car...for example, when you’re too tired to drive and let Your wife take over for the last hundred miles of an out of town trip:

And then there are the unforeseen scenarios which cannot be planned for...like, oh I don’t know, when you pull to the shoulder to allow someone to pass and you do so along the same stretch of road a previous driver decided would be a good place to discard their brake drum:

I tell ya, it ain’t all susnshine and rainbows down here in the weeds!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2016 R/T
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man, video 1. As you came around the corner and I saw that railroad crossing come up... I'm watching this and out loud I'm saying, "ohhhhhh shiiiii THUD". Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for sharing!

Preston

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
Oh man, video 1. As you came around the corner and I saw that railroad crossing come up... I'm watching this and out loud I'm saying, "ohhhhhh shiiiii THUD". Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for sharing!

Preston
I had literally just dozed off in the passenger seat when I felt/heard what I thought was an explosion at first. Then I realized what happened and reacted accordingly.

The really weird thing about those two incidents is that they were separated by a year or so, but both occurred inside the city limits of a town so small it doesn’t even have a traffic light.

No one has ever heard of Bluff Dale, TX, mostly because there’s nothing there...nothing but EVIL, that is!!

Pure, unadulterated, Dodge-hating Evil lives in that town, and anyone driving a Dodge should stay as far away from Bluff Dale as possible!!

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
298 Posts
Those look great! This may be inspiring enough for me to try to paint my own.

Mine were previously blacked out but the paint is starting to chip in places...

Trying to figure out the right color for my ride. It's matte gray with black accents and I have black chrome rims going on it.

I'm almost thinking a coppery color might be an interesting alternative. Not sure if they make that in caliper paint.

Any particular recommended brands for paint?

·
Registered
2016 R/T
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Trying to figure out the right color for my ride. It's matte gray with black accents and I have black chrome rims going on it.

I'm almost thinking a coppery color might be an interesting alternative. Not sure if they make that in caliper paint.

I hope you go for it! I've done it twice so far, using the G2 brake caliper paint both times. Here are my biggest tips.

1. Get a headlamp, makes it much easier to see each layer going down in the darker areas under the wheel well
2. No need to take the brakes off the car, just do a good job masking things off with tape
3. You'll have plenty of extra paint, so think about having something in mind for where you might use your extra paint (it lasts 4-6 hours after the hardener is mixed into the paint)

I used my extra paint for my shock absorbers, but I had also considered doing the fuel rails. I opted not to because they're 95% covered by the half covers. I think the red shock absorbers are pretty unique.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
298 Posts
I hope you go for it! I've done it twice so far, using the G2 brake caliper paint both times. Here are my biggest tips.

1. Get a headlamp, makes it much easier to see each layer going down in the darker areas under the wheel well
2. No need to take the brakes off the car, just do a good job masking things off with tape
3. You'll have plenty of extra paint, so think about having something in mind for where you might use your extra paint (it lasts 4-6 hours after the hardener is mixed into the paint)

I used my extra paint for my shock absorbers, but I had also considered doing the fuel rails. I opted not to because they're 95% covered by the half covers. I think the red shock absorbers are pretty unique.
Thanks for the tips. That was one thing that was putting me off a little bit from doing it was that I thought I needed to remove them completely and then bleed the system and whatever else has to be done.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They look great!! I Think I would like to do the drilled slotted rotors as well. what kind are they and where did you get them?
I got the rotors from R1 Concepts. The drilled/slotted rotors have gotten me a lot of attention, absolutely worth it. I got the ceramic brake pads at the same time, as they're convenient to install together.

It could be that I didn't put enough brake pad grease behind the pads, but the ceramics are a bit noisier than my factory pads were. That doesn't bother me though, as the purpose of the ceramic pad swap was to cut down on the insane volume of dark brake dust that the factory pads emitted. The ceramic pads certainly emit less dust, and what it does emit is lighter colored, much less noticeable between cleans.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
278 Posts

View attachment 991207 View attachment 991208 View attachment 991210 View attachment 991211 View attachment 991212
Looks nice. Did you need to use a certain type? Like heat resistant gloss or something?

·
Registered
2016 R/T
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks nice. Did you need to use a certain type? Like heat resistant gloss or something?
I used G2 Brake Caliper Paint (G2 Brake Caliper Paint Systems), their standard red color this time around. Their paint can also be used on engines, so its a pretty high temperature paint.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts

You can use hi-heat/engine (enamel) spray paint, and it’s available in a wider range of colors.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
278 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I've used both G2 caliper paint and rattle can caliper paint. I found the G2 paint chipped off over time in a few small areas whereas the spray paint did not. In fairness, both cars had several years on them and I had to clean the calipers. It's possible the one I used the G2 on did not get cleaned adequately. I did remove them for cleaning and painting. The ones I sprayed I disconnected; but, I did not remove them completely. Personally, I'd use the spray cans should I decide to do them on my current car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts