Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 challenger r/t shaker, im attempting to change the front 12v power outlet to be always on similar to how the center console 12v power outlet is. My only problem is that from everything iv read iv been told it's an easy thing to do just by changing fuse #12 (20) and putting it in the B+ position right above it. However fuse #12 does nothing for me even by removing it both of my 12v sockets still act the same. Instead i found out by pulling fuses that my 12v power sockets are connected to fuse #38 (12v center console outlet, 20) and fuse #61 (front 12v outlet, 20) and the fuse #61 doesn't have a changeable position like fuse #12 does.

My question is since my vehicle doesn't use fuse #12 for the front 12v power outlet (that being the only fuse with the double slot changeable power option from ignition on to B+ always on) am i just out of luck and not able to have my front 12v power outlet always hot? Is there any way, without messing with wiring, that i can have the front 12v power outlet always hot even though its powered from fuse #61 (single slot) instead of fuse #12(double slot). Here's my box and corrected diagram for reference. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
fuse 12 changes the one in the console from battery to switched. You can't change the front one.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
fuse 12 changes the one in the console from battery to switched. You can't change the front one.
View attachment 1009921
That's backwards from my 16 and the later ones I've looked at so don't know, maybe 2015 is different.

On mine, the one inside the console is constantly hot and no way to change it (battery symbol on cover).

The one in the front is the one that you can change from ignition on only (key symbol on cover) to constantly hot by moving the #12 fuse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
Yes, on 2016. Although it's listed in 2015 manual, it doesn't say it's switchable? On 2016 yes, the console is always powered, switching fuse 12 makes the outlet on the outside switched

A Guy

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
That's backwards from my 16 and the later ones I've looked at so don't know, maybe 2015 is different.

On mine, the one inside the console is constantly hot and no way to change it (battery symbol on cover).

The one in the front is the one that you can change from ignition on only (key symbol on cover) to constantly hot by moving the #12 fuse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I only went by the pictures provided and what they say each fuse is for.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
I have a 2015 challenger r/t shaker, im attempting to change the front 12v power outlet to be always on similar to how the center console 12v power outlet is. My only problem is that from everything iv read iv been told it's an easy thing to do just by changing fuse #12 (20) and putting it in the B+ position right above it. However fuse #12 does nothing for me even by removing it both of my 12v sockets still act the same. Instead i found out by pulling fuses that my 12v power sockets are connected to fuse #38 (12v center console outlet, 20) and fuse #61 (front 12v outlet, 20) and the fuse #61 doesn't have a changeable position like fuse #12 does.

My question is since my vehicle doesn't use fuse #12 for the front 12v power outlet (that being the only fuse with the double slot changeable power option from ignition on to B+ always on) am i just out of luck and not able to have my front 12v power outlet always hot? Is there any way, without messing with wiring, that i can have the front 12v power outlet always hot even though its powered from fuse #61 (single slot) instead of fuse #12(double slot). Here's my box and corrected diagram for reference. Thanks for any help. View attachment 1009918 View attachment 1009920
Should be switchable on 2015. Fuse 12 (red box) has a 2nd position (blue box) but I forget which is ACC and which is BATT (i.e. always on).

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
34 Posts
Did you buy this car new or used?? If as you stated, pulling fuse 12 does nothing, then I suggest that someone re-wired the outlet for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
The 2015 is confusing

To add to the confusion, the SRT/hellcat manual

These numbers coincide with the findings of the OP 38 and 61, so why 3 locations, and why not 12 when CT says it worked for him? Hmmm

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
Ah he is talking about the very front outlet on the passenger side, I was talking about the one near the media hub. Now I have to go check on my 2015.

Yeah the very front outlet is only on during ACC but the one near the media hub is switched to always on.

Looks like 2015 models have the outlet in the console as switchable and 2016 have the one up front near the passenger side as switchable.

2015 outlet wiring diagram

2016 outlet wiring diagram

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
Wait but the owner's manual shows them as the same for 2015-2016? Where fuse 12 makes the passenger side outlet switchable. Back to the cold garage I go.

2015 owner's manual

2016 owner's manual

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
Ok so just went in the garage, and looks like switching fuse 12 has no impact to how both outlets perform. Very front is on only with ACC and center console always on? This switch is cray! But then again I grabbed power directly from the in-line connector and not the outlets themselves so I wonder if the in-line connector fan outs to the outlets differently on 2015s?

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Ok so just went in the garage, and looks like switching fuse 12 has no impact to how both outlets perform. Very front is on only with ACC and center console always on?
did you open the car door after you shut the power off to be sure the one in the console shut off? Stupid question, I know.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
did you open the car door after you shut the power off to be sure the one in the console shut off? Stupid question, I know.
Car door was left open and I have it set in the radio to shut power off with no delay. Used my radar detector to test for power. Now this bugs me because it means something is not right as neither the wiring diagram or owner's manual is correct. And that's why you should never buy the first year modification of a vehicle. The 2015s have a different media hub and HVAC module compared to other years to name a few quirks.

Going to dig into this more over the weekend when I have time and it is not snowing.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
I summarized all the chilton info on the outlet wiring for 2015 in the attached PDF. Looking at the wiring diagram again it looks like the center console outlet is always, and fuse 61 provides power when the relay is engaged during ACC/RUN. However fuse 12 is meant to bypass the relay so it should power up the outlet but then fuse 12 and fuse 61 are in series? So technically swapping positions of fuse 12 should do something to the passenger side outlet. I guess an alternative would be to jumper the relay pin 30 to relay pin 87. Basically the rely only controls power to the passenger side outlet. Now I wonder if my fuse 12 is blown which is why I am not seeing any change when I switch postions?

Looking at the 2016 diagram it looks like fuse 12 solely controls power to the passenger side outlet (i.e. if it blows you get no power to the passenger outlet whereas on the 2015 there still is fuse 61) and fuse 38 still provides constant power but now fuse is introduced 67 (on 2015 it is for rain/light sense) along with a run-sense relay?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I summarized all the chilton info on the outlet wiring for 2015 in the attached PDF. Looking at the wiring diagram again it looks like the center console outlet is always, and fuse 61 provides power when the relay is engaged during ACC/RUN. However fuse 12 is meant to bypass the relay so it should power up the outlet but then fuse 12 and fuse 61 are in series? So technically swapping positions of fuse 12 should do something to the passenger side outlet. I guess an alternative would be to jumper the relay pin 30 to relay pin 87. Basically the rely only controls power to the passenger side outlet. Now I wonder if my fuse 12 is blown which is why I am not seeing any change when I switch postions?

Looking at the 2016 diagram it looks like fuse 12 solely controls power to the passenger side outlet (i.e. if it blows you get no power to the passenger outlet whereas on the 2015 there still is fuse 61) and fuse 38 still provides constant power but now fuse is introduced 67 (on 2015 it is for rain/light sense) along with a run-sense relay?
You would think that but in the case of my car swapping fuse 12 has zero effect and is completely useless lol. If i really wanted i know i could just run a wire from the center console power outlet source or just run a wire from the battery directly to get the passenger side outlet always on but I honestly don't care enough about it to do all that. I only ever wanted to do it in the first place because it was supposed to be an easy option and that definitely did not turn out to be the case lol. Oh well some things just aren't meant to be

1 - 20 of 22 Posts