Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my new 2019 Scat Pack today and I can for-see problems with crunching the front air dam on curbs and parking lot stops. Is there any type sensors available for it? Besides Curb-Feelers!!!:unsure:

Todd

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,880 Posts
None that I know of except your own awareness of the potential and being extra cautious? Same as avoiding curb rash.... I remember threads on here about front facing cameras similar to the back up cams.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ordered my new 2019 Scat Pack today and I can for-see problems with crunching the front air dam on curbs and parking lot stops. Is there any type sensors available for it? Besides Curb-Feelers!!!:unsure:

Todd
I don't think there is any. I always back into parking spaces that has curbs or those concrete blocks.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Once you get your beast, practice, patience, and you just ALWAYS have to be aware that the front spoiler is there and low.

At some point, you will bang up against something, and you'll get plenty of scuffs underneath it.

Just takes time getting used to having it hanging out and low, and remembering it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,034 Posts
Get into the habit of stopping short if you can't back in. It feels weird, like you don't know how to park, but unless you are sticking out of the space, who cares.

Google Front parking sensors Challengertalk and you'll get several threads here, including this one

A Guy

Reactions: SRT8outtaLA

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,710 Posts

Todd
My Hellcat is not my first car with a low nose and at risk air dam.

It is always not convenient for me to back the car into every parking space. (My previous cars didn't have a back up camera and had very expensive exhaust system at risk of damage if I pulled too far into a parking space.)

For those times I park the car nose first into a parking space what I did was to at a convenient parking space to practice pulling the car in and using the curb line where it was in relationship to the driver's side out side mirror to know the nose was close but still not making contact the curb.

Just to be prepared find a parking space where you park at an angle to the curb and find some sight lines to help you position the car. I have not done this. The only angled parking space I encounter is when I park in a restaurant lot next door to a Panera Bread place and the spaces are angled. What I do is just stop plenty short. There might be a foot or so of space but the spaces are large/long and the lot empty and not in use at the time.

But with spaces that are straight in using this technique I can pull my Hellcat in and stop short of the curb with easily much less than a foot of space between the curb and the nose of the car.

In one case -- this with another car that just happened to have a $400 air dam -- after I pulled into a 7-11 parking space I got out just in time to see a guy on the sidewalk pointing down at the front of the car. Thinking maybe he had spotted a radiator leak or some other problem up front I walked up to have to a look. What he was pointing out was I had pulled in and stopped less than an inch away from the curb. Didn't manage to get that close all the time but anything less than a foot was ok by me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My front end sits really low so I installed a front view camera using lockpic on my RER 730N head unit. the camera fits really well in the grill and can't be seen unless you really look for it. Only problem is if you let someone use your car and they forget to look at the camera when parking then it's useless, ask my brother he can tell you lol, got it fixed so all is good :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips and tricks guys! I will use a mixture of stopping short, using visual markers, and backing into parking spots when I can. I will also park "way out there" in large parking lots like I did many years ago in my 1970 GTO!
Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts