Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So I replaced my brake pads about 2 years ago with Akebono stock style pads. (left the rotors as they looked fine at the time...).
What I didn't notice is that only the inner 75% of the pad was making contact with the rotor.
This caused a rusty area to form.
The pads still have plenty of meat on them.
So recently the pads decided to start making contact 100% and now they are making contact with the rusty area and making some nice vibrations on heavy stops.
I'm going to let it play out a bit and see if the pads will "clean up" that area to the point where it's smooth.
If not, I may have to replace the rotors.
Wondering if this ever happened to anyone?
If I had to guess, I probably should have replaced the rotor when I did the pads - was just being cheap.

Thanks,
Henry.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
Time for new rotors.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can try to clean up the rotors with a swirling attachment or take a light cut with an on the car brake rotor lathe. Make sure there is enough material on the rotors if you decide to clean them up on a lathe.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My understanding is slotted rotors are difficult to turn. Something about breaking the cutter heads when they hit the far-side of the slots.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,452 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.