Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19 Scat w/o the dynamic suspension with just over 4k miles and I just purchased the BMR lowering springs which were shipped today they will drop the car 1.25” all around, I already purchased the SPC rear camber kit

Do I need to purchase a front camber kit as well?

Ideally I would buy the adjustable front arms but right now it’s a option, and it’s not a daily it’s a weekend car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,440 Posts
I don’t believe a 1.25” drop would require the special hardware in front. Supposedly it’s anything over 1.5” that put it out of alignment range and requires special hardware.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t believe a 1.25” drop would require the special hardware in front. Supposedly it’s anything over 1.5” that put it out of alignment range and requires special hardware.
The majority of people have told me that but some of experienced issues, I know the rear for sure I will need so tweaks and that’s why I got the rear camber kit from SPC and if by miracle I don’t need it I can return it lol

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To my understanding the front stock camber bolt is adjustable, idk how much more adjustable is the SPC one

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
Well, you will probably just have to put the springs on and then see if it can be aligned. If not, you’ll need the extra hardware.

The advertised drop for lowering springs is usually based upon the most common (read:highest sitting) trim level of the car. It is not a relative amount of drop in other words.

Since your car starts out lower than the most common trim of the Challenger (SCT and R/T with Touring suspension), you likely won’t end up 1.25” from where you are now. It’s likely going to be 1.25” from where a car with the Touring springs starts out.

I don’t know how much lower your car is than the average SXT and R/T with Touring springs, but I’m thinking whatever that difference is, subtracting it from the 1.25” advertised drop will give you what your car’s drop will be.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you will probably just have to put the springs on and then see if it can be aligned. If not, you’ll need the extra hardware.

The advertised drop for lowering springs is usually based upon the most common (read:highest sitting) trim level of the car. It is not a relative amount of drop in other words.

Since your car starts out lower than the most common trim of the Challenger (SCT and R/T with Touring suspension), you likely won’t end up 1.25” from where you are now. It’s likely going to be 1.25” from where a car with the Touring springs starts out.

I don’t know how much lower your car is than the average SXT and R/T with Touring springs, but I’m thinking whatever that difference is, subtracting it from the 1.25” advertised drop will give you what your car’s drop will be.
I spoke with BMR over the phone with one of his tech and he mentioned to me that I would get a 1.25 drop on my Scat so I am basing it on that

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
That’s cool if you do, and I’m such case I’m thinking you will need the extra hardware because you will be well below the ride height of any other stock suspension

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s cool if you do, and I’m such case I’m thinking you will need the extra hardware because you will be well below the ride height of any other stock suspension
I was told by another member
“1.25” all around doesnt sound drastic, is your car a STP or just plain jain? If so it will put you a hair lower then srt’s and stp”

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
I was told by another member
“1.25” all around doesnt sound drastic, is your car a STP or just plain jain? If so it will put you a hair lower then srt’s and stp”

I would have though the Scats suspension was already at the level of the SRTs. Dropping an SRT 1.25” is getting low. My 2012 Charger was in that range and I would get high centered pretty easily if I wasmy careful. Not to mention the underside was beat to death. Should have installed the adjustable hardware but didn’t. I just kept the tires overinflated and rotated often, that worked out okay. I’m not recommending it, but it is an option, Jerry-rigged as it is.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have though the Scats suspension was already at the level of the SRTs. Dropping an SRT 1.25” is getting low. My 2012 Charger was in that range and I would get high centered pretty easily if I wasmy careful. Not to mention the underside was beat to death. Should have installed the adjustable hardware but didn’t. I just kept the tires overinflated and rotated often, that worked out okay. I’m not recommending it, but it is an option, Jerry-rigged as it is.
As far the scats having the same suspension as the SRT, regarding shocks and springs I cant tell you, but I have heard that the rear suspension is the most temperamental even in mild drops, that’s I purchased the SPC rear camber kit,

I know the Eibach Pro kit drop scats 1.2 in the rear and .8 in the front, some say they need hardware some have said not but i have not been able to find someone with BMR springs to get their input

I also purchase BMR front and back strut towers as well to go along with the lowering springs and rear camber kit

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
As far the scats having the same suspension as the SRT, regarding shocks and springs I cant tell you, but I have heard that the rear suspension is the most temperamental even in mild drops, that’s I purchased the SPC rear camber kit,

I know the Eibach Pro kit drop scats 1.2 in the rear and .8 in the front, some say they need hardware some have said not but i have not been able to find someone with BMR springs to get their input

Spring affects on ride height are not always predictable, (actually they are but only if you do the math) that’s all I wanted to chime in with.

The Eibach Sportlines are supposed to drop my car 1.7”, but that’s from Touring spring level. I was already below SRT level.

So I put a set in my 2012 and got a 0.25” rise in ride height. I was hoping for 0.33”, but every little bit counts when you have to avoid railroad crossing for fear of getting high centered.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spring affects on ride height are not always predictable, (actually they are but only if you do the math) that’s all I wanted to chime in with.

The Eibach Sportlines are supposed to drop my car 1.7”, but that’s from Touring spring level. I was already below SRT level.

So I put a set in my 2012 and got a 0.25” rise in ride height. I was hoping for 0.33”, but every little bit counts when you have to avoid railroad crossing for fear of getting high centered.
Do know once the spring the settles which I was told 500 miles or less, will that change the height and camber, that will need a new alignment?

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
Do know once the spring the settles which I was told 500 miles or less, will that change the height and camber, that will need a new alignment?

It is not supposed to that I am aware, but you could always wait and get the alignment after a period of time passes and you feel it’s where it will be riding finally.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is not supposed to that I am aware, but you could always wait and get the alignment after a period of time passes and you feel it’s where it will be riding finally.
I Def want to get it right away to know where I stand I can always pay again to get it done again if I feel it’s not riding correctly, for the peace of mind

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I ordered the SPC front adjustable upper arms and will install them when I install the new tires in a few months.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered the SPC front adjustable upper arms and will install them when I install the new tires in a few months.
Ideally that’s what I want to do but I have already spent a few grand on this car the past 3 months so 400 is out of my range for the SPC arms but I came across the Megan racing adjustable arms, idk if they quality constructed but they are half the price to their name

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Ideally that’s what I want to do but I have already spent a few grand on this car the past 3 months so 400 is out of my range for the SPC arms but I came across the Megan racing adjustable arms, idk if they quality constructed but they are half the price to their name

FYI I ordered the SPC from Amazon for $170 each :)

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI I ordered the SPC from Amazon for $170 each :)
What was the outdoor price with taxes and shipping,

As far the Megan racing I can get them 200 out the door

The Megan racing looks like they use a real ball joint. Some of the other ones use some kind of "thru bolt" ball joint that does not really fit properly,

The only issue I can think of with those type of adj. control arms is that one good hole or bump will cause the position of the Ball Joint to shift.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What was the outdoor price with taxes and shipping,

As far the Megan racing I can get them 200 out the door

The Megan racing looks like they use a real ball joint. Some of the other ones use some kind of "thru bolt" ball joint that does not really fit properly,

The only issue I can think of with those type of adj. control arms is that one good hole or bump will cause the position of the Ball Joint to shift.

It was about $362 shipped...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts