Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting tired of bumping the chin spoiler on my Challenger, some low obstacles do not set off the 'park sense' sensors soon enough.
I have an Alpine iLWX-650 receiver that currently has a backup cam when I shift to reverse, i'll have to look at the manual but I think it has provisions for another video input.
Is there a way to add a forward facing cam? I am guessing I would need some type of manual toggle as the T6060 doesn't have a way to report what gear its in other than reverse.
I would prefer a small form factor so I don't have to remove to much material, i will be installed in the chin spoiler.
Any advice or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I just gave up on the pulling in into parking spots. I just back in now a days. I know it doesn't answer your question, but it's a good alternative, until you can find a better answer.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to download the manual for my Alpine head unit and it does indeed have additional connections for camera inputs. From what I can tell the only slight pain will be having to click through 2-3 menu screens to get to the front camera displayed, should not take too long once I get the hang of it.
Now looking into which camera to get.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
354 Posts
Hi,

I could be wrong but believe I read something about a Tazar having the ability to add additional cameras

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I just gave up on the pulling in into parking spots. I just back in now a days. I know it doesn't answer your question, but it's a good alternative, until you can find a better answer.
This is what alot of Corvette owners MUST do to avoid scraping the radiator supports and ground effects. Park backwards. There is a device called "Curb Alert" that gives you a warning audible beep. Not a camera. There are also front cameras for front ends. I would have thought on a Challenger this would have been less of a problem but I guess that front air dam is susceptible to curb/driveway damage? :unsure:

I am getting tired of bumping the chin spoiler on my Challenger, some low obstacles do not set off the 'park sense' sensors soon enough.
I have an Alpine iLWX-650 receiver that currently has a backup cam when I shift to reverse, i'll have to look at the manual but I think it has provisions for another video input.
Is there a way to add a forward facing cam? I am guessing I would need some type of manual toggle as the T6060 doesn't have a way to report what gear its in other than reverse.
I would prefer a small form factor so I don't have to remove to much material, i will be installed in the chin spoiler.
Any advice or ideas are welcome.
But at least the Challenger comes with front end sensors to warn you of curbs?:unsure:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I would have thought on a Challenger this would have been less of a problem but I guess that front air dam is susceptible to curb/driveway damage? :unsure:
I've only had it happen once in the 15 months I've owned mine. The splitter clears 99% of the parking blocks that I've come across. 0 issues with my driveway. Backing in just takes out all of the guesswork with the rear camera.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've only had it happen once in the 15 months I've owned mine. The splitter clears 99% of the parking blocks that I've come across. 0 issues with my driveway. Backing in just takes out all of the guesswork with the rear camera.
I guess it also depends on how good the clarity/distortion/accuracy in distance of the camera is to the barrier one wants to avoid not hitting it. I know on the rear I must be careful that my sway bar doesn't strike a curb.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
555 Posts
I backed my Corvette in for 8 years after learning the hard way.
Cheaper than a camera...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I backed my Corvette in for 8 years after learning the hard way.
Cheaper than a camera...
I back when I can traffic permitting. But then I must worry about the rear sway bar if there is a curb back there. If no curb then as you already know there is very bad blind spots in corvette. But I use a wireless camera (ADD ON) to help me with backing(y). But the front end is a nightmare as well as the curbrash because of all the blindspots.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I guess it also depends on how good the clarity/distortion/accuracy in distance of the camera is to the barrier one wants to avoid not hitting it. I know on the rear I must be careful that my sway bar doesn't strike a curb.
No after market sway bar here. The rear tires would be the first thing to make contact. For me, once the curb leaves the view of the rear camera, I pull in about 6 more inches and still have about a foot of room.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
No after market sway bar here. The rear tires would be the first thing to make contact. For me, once the curb leaves the view of the rear camera, I pull in about 6 more inches and still have about a foot of room.
My rear sway bar is factory with magentic ride suspension. Perhaps you have a different year/generation than my 2005. But the add on rear cam is an ADD ON.

·
Registered
2020 R/T Scat Pack 1320 edition
114 Posts
You should get a ZL1 front add on spoiler... it adds about two more inches to it....lol.. sticks out further.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
288 Posts
I learned 45 years ago in a company driver safety class that it always safer to back into a spot, or pull all the way through such that you can pull out forward when you get back in the car. Apparently a driver is more aware and alert to the immediate hazards when you first pull up to a parking spot. Too many things can go wrong when you back up, especially nowadays with all the distractions, delays and un-attentive people walking behind you thinking they don't need to pay attention to vehicles backing up. Hence the backup safety features that we now see becoming standard.

There may be a DOT standard somewhere that says how high a curb is recommended to be, but that is just a recommendation because around here you wouldn't believe how high some of the curbs on. In fact, in one area of downtown they actually painted the curbs hazard yellow and stenciled HIGH CURB in black letters across some of them. You couldn't even get your door to open past them, that's how high the curb was in relation to the asphalt.

I drove a 2003 Audi Allroad Bi-Turbo 6 spd manual for a few years. An old 2003 and when I put the trans. in reverse, the side mirrors automatically moved down so I could see the curb and the rear tire. As soon as it was out of reverse, the mirrors readjusted. This is so simple to do I don't understand why it is not STANDARD on all cars with power mirrors. It's mind boggling that it's not. It costs the manufacturer nothing at all and is a valuable feature. I never nicked a rim on that car, not once in 4 years. In the challenger, it took me 10 days.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You should a ZL1 front add on spoiler... it adds about two more inches to it....lol.. sticks out further.
No more sports cars or low profile cars for me after this. o_O

I learned 45 years ago in a company driver safety class that it always safer to back into a spot, or pull all the way through such that you can pull out forward when you get back in the car. Apparently a driver is more aware and alert to the immediate hazards when you first pull up to a parking spot. Too many things can go wrong when you back up, especially nowadays with all the distractions, delays and un-attentive people walking behind you thinking they don't need to pay attention to vehicles backing up. Hence the backup safety features that we now see becoming standard.

There may be a DOT standard somewhere that says how high a curb is recommended to be, but that is just a recommendation because around here you wouldn't believe how high some of the curbs on. In fact, in one area of downtown they actually painted the curbs hazard yellow and stenciled HIGH CURB in black letters across some of them. You couldn't even get your door to open past them, that's how high the curb was in relation to the asphalt.

I drove a 2003 Audi Allroad Bi-Turbo 6 spd manual for a few years. An old 2003 and when I put the trans. in reverse, the side mirrors automatically moved down so I could see the curb and the rear tire. As soon as it was out of reverse, the mirrors readjusted. This is so simple to do I don't understand why it is not STANDARD on all cars with power mirrors. It's mind boggling that it's not. It costs the manufacturer nothing at all and is a valuable feature. I never nicked a rim on that car, not once in 4 years. In the challenger, it took me 10 days.

DeWFPo
Yes I have heard of that before too to use your side mirrors for parking to combat curb rash. Very true backing in does have its advantages as well to make for a quick exit but the way t hings are around here to find and or more so get parking, it is faster to go in nose first. We got too much traffic, cars and people here so if in a rural place would be alot better.
If there is too much traffic it's too difficult to back in or sometimes it just isn't possible when in everday driving and parking in urban areas..

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
No more sports cars or low profile cars for me after this. o_O
I hear you on that. I'm looking at the new Bronco or a Wrangler, if I decide to stay in this country when I turn 50 in a few years.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have no front sensors that warn me of curbs.
That's where the aftermarket equipment comes in for front end camera.

I hear you on that. I'm looking at the new Bronco or a Wrangler, if I decide to stay in this country when I turn 50 in a few years.
I was thinking that's where the Trackhawk comes in but to me that is just too much $$$$ to spend on a vehicle. I know they have Durango's with 392 engines, SRT but I am not really into SUV type vehicles. But that's the choices one can always change to to have that motor with power.

I was able to download the manual for my Alpine head unit and it does indeed have additional connections for camera inputs. From what I can tell the only slight pain will be having to click through 2-3 menu screens to get to the front camera displayed, should not take too long once I get the hang of it.
Now looking into which camera to get.
I was at this point to install an Pioneer or Kenwood multi-media entertainment system with provisions for both front end and rear end cameras for parking but figured at the time $2,000+ was too much for a 15 year old vehicle.

I have no front sensors that warn me of curbs.
Me neither and had to replace front plate twice so it maybe worth it to get some kind of camera or device soon if I continue to drive this car more.

·
Registered
2020 R/T Scat Pack 1320 edition
114 Posts
When I started looking for a Challenger they had a 1320 sitting at my local Dodge dealership. I sat in it and talked to the salesman l then told him let me think about it. A week goes by and I stop back in to maybe just go ahead and buy the car. Well it had sold to a lady so it was gone. After buying another 1320 from the same dealership the salesman told me to be careful in their front parking lot. He told me that the car I was looking at previously that sold to the lady got the spoiler and front end tore up. The lady stopped back by the dealership and destroyed the front end of her new car on the curb outside.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I installed the park sense system on mine years ago and it works ok in most situations. You get a beep and lights that increase the closer you get to the detected object.
My friends 2018 ZR1 came with a front parking cam from the factory that makes it easy to see when to stop, that is where the idea came from.
The Alpine unit I have is much less than $2000, i think it was around $550 all in (with updated back up camera and add on amp).
My setup doesn't hold a candle to the snazziness my wife's Ram has, but it's not bad for a decade old weekend ride

So far I have found a few possibles for front cameras ranging in price from $50-$100, will probably go through Crutchfield again as they have representatives that are knowledgeable and will be able to ensure the camera will work correctly with my setup.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts