Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can someone please give me a rough estimate on whether this car is a total loss or could be repaired. It is a 2018 dodge challenger sxt plus with added options leather: seats, sunroof, harmon kardon speakers, 20' alloy rims, technology group and adaptive cruise control. Hit a brick wall while making a left turn. Both airbags deployed and a lot of fluid was leaking. Police called a guy who towed it to his shop and now we are awaiting the adjuster to come check it out. Anything helps! P.s. I have full coverage. Double p.s. I was not checking if I can uproot the brick fence intentionally by ramming my car into it -.-

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
If it has any substantial frame tweaking...it might just be deemed a total loss.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Best advice I can offer is get the car to a highly regarded body shop and get the car evaluated and a reliable estimate for the amount of damage and what it will cost to put right.

Might add a body shop that the tow truck guy who was called by the police took the car to may not be the best body shop. (When I had my Cayman S towed I rode 30 miles with the tow truck operator the whole time trying to sell me on having him take the car instead of to the Porsche dealer to his buddy's body shop.)

Both air bags deploying just adds to the damage estimate. The steering wheel and dash are ruined. The dash especially is a real expensive item.

Even without the airbags and the steering wheel and dash a solid impact to a brick wall really bends the car.

The car will have to be "torn down" -- the wheels removed, the fenders removed, the hood, some other hardware, the body shop if you have picked the right shop will know what it needs to do -- and the extent of the damage to the chassis/tub determined. The car is usually placed on a special bench by which the body shop can check the various critical hard points and know which ones are out and by how much. The time to pull these hard points into position, or in some cases drill/cut/straighten/weld to restore the hard points to their correct position, requires considerable skill and experience and s time consuming. Insurance companies are sometimes loathe to spend this money but without this being the done the repair is a joke.

The car likely has some new car warranty on it so any repairs must be done in such a way to ensure the warranty remains intact. You must obtain a letter from which ever body shop you end up taking the car to and the insurance company with something in writing by Dodge too the warranty coverage will remain in effect.

This generally means Dodge parts must be used and no used/salvaged parts.

Frankly you are probably better off if the car is declared a total loss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your reply. This has been very helpful to me in my first accident. I also hope it is a total loss since it will leave me better off. The cops 'tow shop' seems kind of iffy to me but the guy was being very insistent on how good they are and that they repair many cars. Seems like a load of bullshit to me. Your contacting dodge is a very helpful idea and will definitely come in handy! Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply. This has been very helpful to me in my first accident. I also hope it is a total loss since it will leave me better off. The cops 'tow shop' seems kind of iffy to me but the guy was being very insistent on how good they are and that they repair many cars. Seems like a load of bullshit to me. Your contacting dodge is a very helpful idea and will definitely come in handy! Thanks again!
You are welcome. The first accident's always the worst. Until there is a 2nd accident. Then the 3rd one is the worst. And so on...

Really no accident is anything but unpleasant. Horrible to have a car smashed but getting it repaired if it is repairable takes some work, too.

And even if it is not repairable the process to determine this and settle is unpleasant work too.

Oh, I don't know how this conversation business works here but I responded to your questions via the conversation portal. If you can't see the response let me know and I'll shoot you an email.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rockster's advice to find a highly regarded Autobody repair shop is probably the best advice you can get. Do your homework, don't listen to people who stand to gain from your patronage of one shop or another.

It's really not possible to determine the extent of the damage from photos. While the damage appears to be primarily in the front right corner (mostly bolt on parts) some of those parts are very expensive. As well there is an expensive repair of the airbag system. What bothers me is the right hand door. It appears to be closed at the top and open at the bottom which may indicate significant structural damage. Again, and I stress, find a reputable repair shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Rob446
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing