Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, happy to be a new member.

A while back my 2009 challenger rt 5.7 engine blew and I decided to go with a surefire reman from autozone because of the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

After only a little over 12k miles, I began to notice oil spots on my garage floor. After tirelessly looking under the car trying to find the oil leak, I finally took it to my mechanic after I couldn't locate it.

He takes some time to look it over, and tells me that the leak is coming from the front crankshaft seal. He says that with a brand new motor with that little of mileage, that there must be something wrong with the motor and how it was assembled, and that the most likely culprit is that the crankshaft is off somehow.

He said that while the seal is cheap and the labor to replace it is of moderate cost, the fact that a reman motor with such low mileage should not have a leaking crank seal for any reason, and that unless the problem is fixed which is causing it, putting in a new seal will only bandage the problem temporarily and the seal will begin to once again leak soon after because whatever is causing it to leak in the first place will persist.

I just wanted to come here and sign up for a forum for the first time to see of any of you guys have any insight or advice. Perhaps someone has had this experience before. I looked up countless posts on other forums for multiple cars utilizing the 5.7 motor and found quite a few posts about the crank seal leaking, but they were all about how to install a new one. I didn't find any that actually explained WHY it might be happening.

The car is not boosted or driven hard whatsoever. I never go over 3.5k rpms.

Thanks in advance for any input

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
The answer is possibly. The seal could have failed due to improper assembly as your mechanic says but it is also possible for a seal to just be defective. If you have a 3 year warranty wouldn't the first step be to contact the company to see how to proceed?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did you buy the car new? If so, the 2009 has a lifetime drivetrain warranty which would negate you having to purchase a rebuilt engine. But I guess you would already know that.
Like waumo said, it could be an improperly installed seal or the seal itself or there could be a burr on the crankshaft. Best thing to do is contact autozone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the first step would be to gather information for the BS from the warranty company.

Low and behold, the company tried to run around the issue and say that anything could be causing it. Knew this was going to happen.

Any other suggestions as to what would make the seal leak this soon on a new motor? I find it highly unlikely that the seal is defective. How hard is it to manufacture a rubber ring?

Interested in some other real deal suggestions as to why this would happen

·
Registered
863 Posts
Groove in crank pulley with no repair sleeve installed. Possible lipped seal. Possible torn rubber on outside of seal during installation. Seal possibly installed on an angle.
Tom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Groove in crank pulley with no repair sleeve installed. Possible lipped seal. Possible torn rubber on outside of seal during installation. Seal possibly installed on an angle.
Tom.
So what are the chances of poor assembly/crank placement of the engine being the issue causing the leak?

·
Registered
863 Posts
So what are the chances of poor assembly/crank placement of the engine being the issue causing the leak?
Seriously, better than average. No offense intended. And you clearly have a leak. Pull the crank pulley and the cause should be quite evident.
Tom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously, better than average. No offense intended. And you clearly have a leak. Pull the crank pulley and the cause should be quite evident.
Tom.
I dont understand

What is better than average?

What are you implying that I'll find if I pull the crank pulley?

I just want to be informed because the warranty guy is already trying to say that the cause of the leak could be a million BS things including a ecu malfunction. hilarious excuse. Also said that if something was wrong with the crank I'd get a check engine light for a crank position sensor code. Wrong. There is no was my engine poorly assembled sensor. All the crank position sensor does is identify where the crankshaft is in its rotation cycle, not if it is properly attached.

I had a 350z with a melted piston, funny I didn't get a code for that.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Our crankshafts have no key ways, so, position does not matter. If the crank pulley was loose, the belt will slip, (Overheat,undercharge etc.). I am simply offering ideas. If you were here, I would give you a detailed diagnosis on a work order, which you could present to the insurance company.
Maybe have the pulley inspected and try that. Looks like it would be about 3 hours labor at a shop.
Tom.
Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandardFront Crankshaft Seal
Replace
Front Crank Seal
B 2.0 2.8

·
Registered
863 Posts
Probably a bad seal or the pulley has a groove in it.Auto Zone isn't selling the cream of the crop when it comes to remans.
That^^^^^^^ is what I was trying to say! lol! I been working on an Econoline in some serious heat!!
Brain ain't working so well!
Thanks.
Tom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That^^^^^^^ is what I was trying to say! lol! I been working on an Econoline in some serious heat!!
Brain ain't working so well!
Thanks.
Tom.
I hope that's the case but the two head technicians at my shop seem pretty convinced that the issue causing the leak is crank walk and or the crank not being properly machined/sleeved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts