Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sxt 2016 challenger one day it just snapped literally..... dodge will not cover my car because they say it came from impact there is nothing wrong with my tire or the front I’m of my car....I was literally about to pull in my drive way and it snapped lost control of my car andside swiped my neighbors car less then 200 in repairs for there car very minor .Over 7k in damages for mine they would not cover called and they stated not enough peoplehave had this issuesfor it to be a problem for them I could of lost my life I had just gotten off the interstate if anyone else is having this issues or have had hit me up I’m looking for a lawyer

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Don't think they will ever believe this was a parts failure and cover under warranty so only two options as I see it is to fix it yourself or file with your insurance company. If you had a mechanical insurance policy they probably would have paid for this, if not, probably have to go under collision (curb).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
While that really sucks and I can understand your frustration, I'm not sure how you expect Dodge to pay for that. If there was a manufacturing defect that caused it to snap for no apparent reason, others would be having the same problem - I haven't heard any other complaints of this issue, so it seems to be an isolated issue.

DId you buy the car new or used? If used, who know what could have happened before you owned it. That part could have been cracked from an "incident" from the previous owner. Even if you had it since new, something as simple as hitting a pothole just the right way could have caused a crack, which later completely failed.

I'm sure this issue is extremely rare - and probably caused by a rae set of circumstances - but that doesn't mean that Dodge is at fault....

EDIT: and like mentioned, how the hell did you end up wrecking the car that bad from pulling into your driveway? I don't know about you, but when I pull into my driveway, I'm going about 1mph as I go over the bump/curb into my driveway! How fast were you going to get that far out of control??

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,084 Posts
First off, there's nothing wrong with the tire, or even the wheel at issue for that matter. The failure was in the front end linkage, so you may want to get that straight if you want to sound legitimate with your complaint. As others have said, that looks like it must have been previously subjected to a pretty severe force in order to snap like that just entering into a driveway.
IMHO, the only way it could have failed due to a defect would be if there was an issue with the casting of the metal parts involved during manufacturing. If you've owned the car from the start and know that wheel's never been subjected to any unusual impact, I would have an expert metallurgist analyze it to verify there's a defect due to improper casting or inferior materials. I would think if this were the case there would be an entire lot of those parts with the same problem, therefore many more people that have had this happen. For yours to be an isolated incident sounds a bit strange at best.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you will find the members here very helpful.

I see you joined a few hours ago and have posted these pictures to several threads already. I am not sure this forum can assist you in locating a lawyer as you are indicating. However if there are technical questions about repairing your Challenger, I am sure we can give you advice.

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
that front knuckle is a cast iron part - its likely an impact from a pothole at high(er) speeds caused damage.

the only other way I've seen knuckles break off are in collisions.

This is going to be an item that your comprehensive insurance will probably go towards and collision coverage for the damage when the the other vehicle was struck

Reactions: USponycar

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,699 Posts
that front knuckle is a cast iron part - its likely an impact from a pothole at high(er) speeds caused damage.

the only other way I've seen knuckles break off are in collisions.

This is going to be an item that your comprehensive insurance will probably go towards and collision coverage for the damage when the the other vehicle was struck
good point, does anyone make forged replacement parts?

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
good point, does anyone make forged replacement parts?
Those are pretty stout parts - the other items - ball joints, tire rod ends are things that would like break with hard impacts. Probably not much demand for something with that level of overkill

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,427 Posts
Those are pretty stout parts - the other items - ball joints, tire rod ends are things that would like break with hard impacts. Probably not much demand for something with that level of overkill
Agreed. I had a car hit on the side and the impact shoved the car against a curb. At both front wheels the front knuckles -- heavy cast iron parts -- were broken. When the techs at the dealer looked the car over they told me they had never seen those parts broken before. (The car ended up being declared a total loss.)

If one is driving a car in such a way that forged suspension/steering hardware is needed because the factory cast iron parts are breaking he needs to give up driving.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a sxt 2016 challenger one day it just snapped literally..... dodge will not cover my car because they say it came from impact there is nothing wrong with my tire or the front I’m of my car....I was literally about to pull in my drive way and it snapped lost control of my car andside swiped my neighbors car less then 200 in repairs for there car very minor .Over 7k in damages for mine they would not cover called and they stated not enough peoplehave had this issuesfor it to be a problem for them I could of lost my life I had just gotten off the interstate if anyone else is having this issues or have had hit me up I’m looking for a lawyer View attachment 1002502 View attachment 1002503 View attachment 1002504 View attachment 1002505 View attachment 1002506

I had a lower ball joint fail on a Ford, so I know the feeling. Since then I jack up my cars when I change my oil and move thing around vigorously to check for play. Although the point of failure here is not really a wear item that would give a warning.

Can you take some close up clear photos of the cracked area. I am wondering if their was some porosity in the casting. I am a machinist and have seen this on cast iron and aluminum parts. Even on billet parts you can get "inclusions" that affect the integrity. I am wondering if both sections that snapped had a similar defect. Probably, not, but still possible given the # of cars produced every year.

Did you buy the car used or new, because when buy used you never really know what the car was through. Heck, even the 20 miles that were on my RT before I got it bothered me. Who took it out for a spin before I showed up, and how did they treat it?

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
371 Posts
Similar thing happened to my Challenger, part of the control arm broke right in half in a similar way, ... but I hit a curb at an angle going ~35mph with my wheel turned so the wheel was sliding sideways and hit the curb flat, then slid up on the curb trashing my wheels on that side also. $10k for repairs, they replaced the front subframe also just to be safe (a very expensive "just to be safe" but I wasn't gonna say don't since insurance was covering it). Happened because I was being dumb in the rain. Luckily it was just me, no other cars, no airbags, no other major damage. I was to embarrassed to post it up but it's been over 8 months now so I'm over it.

I'm wondering if maybe you hit a pothole at some point, maybe a few times, and over time even though it didn't break anything imidiately it cracked the control arm and it was just coincidence that the pressure from turning into your driveway tweaked it enough to finally give way. Just speculating. It's not normal dor any vehicles Control arm (or any part od the car) to break like that without some sort of incident.

However, if your wheels aren't damaged, to me, that shows you have never hit anything hard enough to break the control arm that way, it takes A WHOLE LOT of force to make that happen. When I crashed my wheels were just trashed.

Agree that if you want to go after Dodge for the repairs you will need the metallurgy tested. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
857 Posts
Don't think they will ever believe this was a parts failure and cover under warranty so only two options as I see it is to fix it yourself or file with your insurance company. If you had a mechanical insurance policy they probably would have paid for this, if not, probably have to go under collision (curb).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Bumper to bumper coverage is,.,...bumper to bumper coverage. I dont see why they wouldnt cover this. How many times does this need to happen for them to realize its a problem? If it happens once, its a problem. Maybe if he had a dash camera for proof they would cover it but you shouldnt need to do that.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
371 Posts
Bumper to bumper coverage is,.,...bumper to bumper coverage. I dont see why they wouldnt cover this. How many times does this need to happen for them to realize its a problem? If it happens once, its a problem. Maybe if he had a dash camera for proof they would cover it but you shouldnt need to do that.
I don't understand, why would a car company spend time diagnosing 1 incident when hundreds of thousands of other Challengers have not suffered the same issue? 1 isolated incident is not even on their radar. Just not how things are done to my understanding.

The issue I see is they think the accident broke the wheel instead of the broken wheel causing the accident. Dash cam would help, but proving it was failure of the part, FCA is not gonna investigate a 1 off incident. I'm not trying to instigate or be argumentative, it's just the reality of how things go.

I understand that to the person that this happened to they would expect FCA to take action and go check out every car for the same failure so he could have some validation, but that's not gonna happen in this case, or most cases. If it isn't happening to a huge percent of cars, they gonna ignore it. Sorry, not classaction lawsuit worthy, they gonna ignore it. That's not only FCA, most car companies would do the same.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
857 Posts
I don't understand, why would a car company spend time diagnosing 1 incident when hundreds of thousands of other Challengers have not suffered the same issue? 1 isolated incident is not even on their radar. Just not how things are done to my understanding.

The issue I see is they think the accident broke the wheel instead of the broken wheel causing the accident. Dash cam would help, but proving it was failure of the part, FCA is not gonna investigate a 1 off incident. I'm not trying to instigate or be argumentative, it's just the reality of how things go.

I understand that to the person that this happened to they would expect FCA to take action and go check out every car for the same failure so he could have some validation, but that's not gonna happen in this case, or most cases. If it isn't happening to a huge percent of cars, they gonna ignore it. Sorry, not classaction lawsuit worthy, they gonna ignore it. That's not only FCA, most car companies would do the same.
They don't need to investigate every incident and it don't matter if it happened just once. They get to determine how it happened? Dash cam would absolutely help. It would totally show if it's the drivers fault or not.
And If it isn't drivers fault, if you have a bumper to bumper warranty, and it just broke that should be covered. Period.

If it's drivers fault, SOL.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A cast iron part like that doesn't break on it's own as the OP is clearly suggesting. Sorry. And it's not up to the car manufacturer to ascertain how it happened in what appears to be a one off incident where there may to be more to the story than is being told. Just saying.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,084 Posts
I just took a closer look at the second picture down and it sure looks to me like there's a crack in the outer wheel rim from the beginning of the word Michelin to the left. There looks to be another crack further up away from the edge as well. Now, if that's what the INSIDE of the wheel looks like, what does the outside edge of the wheel look like?
Is this a chicken and egg thing where you can say the wheel became damaged as a result of the knuckles giving way, or did the knuckles get wasted as a result of the wheel striking something hard?
To the OP, can you take pics of the outer side of that wheel? That would be very helpful.

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
They don't need to investigate every incident and it don't matter if it happened just once. They get to determine how it happened? Dash cam would absolutely help. It would totally show if it's the drivers fault or not.
And If it isn't drivers fault, if you have a bumper to bumper warranty, and it just broke that should be covered. Period.

If it's drivers fault, SOL.
But how is Dodge supposed to know if it was the drivers fault or not? Bumper to bumper doesn't cause damage caused by the customer. Dodge has no way of knowing if the owner of the car hit a huge pothole while going 60mph or if they ran over something that impacted the failed part or whatever else the owner could have done that may have caused the damage. If they start seeing a lot of cars coming in with the exact same problem, then there is a greater chance that it isn't something that the owner did - that is why it matters how many cars come in with the same problem. A single car with the issue likely indicates that it's not a manufacturers defect, but something that the specific car owner caused somehow, even if unknowingly.

Dashcam footage isn't enough - the issue that caused the initial crack in a part like this could have happened hundreds or thousands of miles ago - how are they supposed to review dashcam footage from months or even years ago - or even know when the initial issue occurred? Just because the part finally completely failed just now doesn't mean that the initial issue didn't occur a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,230 Posts
I just took a closer look at the second picture down and it sure looks to me like there's a crack in the outer wheel rim from the beginning of the word Michelin to the left. There looks to be another crack further up away from the edge as well. Now, if that's what the INSIDE of the wheel looks like, what does the outside edge of the wheel look like?
Is this a chicken and egg thing where you can say the wheel became damaged as a result of the knuckles giving way, or did the knuckles get wasted as a result of the wheel striking something hard?
To the OP, can you take pics of the outer side of that wheel? That would be very helpful.
Indeed......

If only the OP would post a picture of the street side of that tire and wheel assembly.

Reactions: USponycar
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.