Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second trip to the dealer for a front end rattle
I think its the front strut mounting bushings? The rattle is present on smooth roads
It sounds muffled like its deep, it is not metal to metal more like a thumping sound over small bumps any irregularities in the road
I have another service appt. 8:45 Wed 1/3 @ my local dealership. I love this car but this is getting to me. The warranty will end @ 36k miles. I want this reapired? Can they remove the front struts and replace the upper mounting bushings? Last time they did a visual and said nothing to be found?
I cant seem to figure out what else it could be?

Please does Anyone have any ideas?

Jason

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I had one bad engine mount - sounded like a bad strut to me.

If I drove on pavement with slight ripples of bumps, it would make that noise.

Dealer checked out all sorts of things, then rocked the engine and found the bad mount.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If they have no luck finding it, I recommend disconnecting the sway bar links and tying them up out of the way. You only need to disconnect one end of the link on each side. Then take it for a drive. If it doesn't rattle anymore, replace the links, and look at the sway bar bushings. If it still rattles, then at least you've eliminated one possibility and you can consider the next thing. From my experience I have found that sway bar links can look fine and feel solid when the car is up on the hoist, but with load on them over bumps they can still make a noise.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. Im going to leave it with them. Based on my last visit
They dont seem to willing to take stuff apart?
Last time they visually checked on rack. As I drove away it was clearly still there.
So maybe Strut related?
Or a loose Coil spring isolator?
Motor mount? See its alot to narrow it down? All I know is I need fixed
Ill pay if I have to at this point? 31450 current miies
I drove 10k miles in 11 months. Its a great vehicle my first Moper
Would they offer a loaner? Since its warranty? What if they cant find problem?
I could rent a car or use uber? I Really just want this fixed

Thanks
Jay

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
If they have no luck finding it, I recommend disconnecting the sway bar links and tying them up out of the way. You only need to disconnect one end of the link on each side. Then take it for a drive. If it doesn't rattle anymore, replace the links, and look at the sway bar bushings. If it still rattles, then at least you've eliminated one possibility and you can consider the next thing. From my experience I have found that sway bar links can look fine and feel solid when the car is up on the hoist, but with load on them over bumps they can still make a noise.
My dealer did similar things to diagnose - removed front sway bar, road tested, checked tightness of various items - cradle, suspension, checked body panel fasteners etc.

Through process of elimination, the found a bad engine mount.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dropped it off this morning, Drove the car with tech he was driving same guy that drove with me in October
first thing he said " im changing the front struts, I remember this car" I mentioned the motor mount possibility and or the coil spring isolators
even the sway bar end links I asked them to double check everything. I hope this fixes the rattle. I got a free rental and parts are being shipped overnight from LA
so maybe late Thursday or Early Friday? I want to ask the car will it need a front end alignment after the struts are replaced? seems like it will need one.
Thanks I will keep you posted on the outcome

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Speaking of engine mounts, when I installed headers and removed the motor mounts I noticed the driver side mount 15mm nut was loose. I could see where the mount and the engine bracket were rubbing but I never heard any rattle or noises. The passenger side was torqued tight and had no observable markings. Just sharing my recent experience.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will it need an Alignment after front struts replaced? Seems like it might but Im not sure?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,324 Posts
Will it need an Alignment after front struts replaced? Seems like it might but Im not sure?
Yes you will. I've been calling around checking on shocks and struts and everyone including the dealer is quoting an alignment.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
This is my second trip to the dealer for a front end rattle
I think its the front strut mounting bushings? The rattle is present on smooth roads
It sounds muffled like its deep, it is not metal to metal more like a thumping sound over small bumps any irregularities in the road
I have another service appt. 8:45 Wed 1/3 @ my local dealership. I love this car but this is getting to me. The warranty will end @ 36k miles. I want this reapired? Can they remove the front struts and replace the upper mounting bushings? Last time they did a visual and said nothing to be found?
I cant seem to figure out what else it could be?

Please does Anyone have any ideas?

Jason
This is an upper strut plate mount problem, so ok I had this issue with my 09 keep in mind that all of the LX platform cars have this issue. So like you I took it back a couple of times to the dealer, and like you they did not conclusively have a fix because they were not prepared to directly point the blame directly to the plate bushings . So ok I lived with it for awhile longer , then I had a front shock go out , fluids leaked out and dripping down the shock and strut . Ahhhh , I took the car back, and the dealer called me and pushed thru that both sides get replaced (usually they only replace exactly what is wrong ). So they replaced both side shocks and for good measure the dealer also replaced the upper plate bushings on both sides and it's been quite and no rattling ever since. At the time my 09SRT had 18,000 miles on it .
So if you read between the lines in my post, and you have access to a small oil can with some brake fluid in it, u too can make your fix happen , wink wink !!:grin2: gotta do what ya gotta do buddy

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FINALLY Rattle Free!!!! The Car Feels Great

2 New Front Struts Part #'s 5181349-AI 5181350-AI Shock Sus 17023003 Warranty
Left and Right Side / Reset Alignment
Total of 3.3 hours of Labor

·
Registered
2 Posts
N
Yes you will. I've been calling around checking on shocks and struts and everyone including the dealer is quoting an alignment.
No u will not had same issue after replacing mine too steering wheel went to left and I thought same thing till I found out the big start bolt was not pushed in all the way so I pushed in on tire while fighting it back down and it fixed it self. Changing struts will not mess up your alignment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And if u have the hemi with mds get ready for the hydraulic lift to wipe out the cam. I went with 1300 mds delete kit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Old post...I traded that car in for a 19 RT scat pack

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just ran the gauntlet trying to solve a rattle in my front end, it appeared when hitting light bumps with no noise on potholes or larger bumps.

After changing swaybar bushings and links (including impacting them down as tight as possible with blue threadlocker to eliminate that as an issue), torquing every nut and bolt in the front end that wasn't associated with the suspension, it turned out to be the passenger side tension strut (front lower control arm); the nut had worked itself ever so loose and was just rattling like hell every time either wheel hit a small bump because the swaybar linked the two sides together.

I had gone through EVERYTHING, even realigning the hood and both front fenders, plus the bumper itself, and re-torquing everything. I was surprised at just how many parts had vibrated loose after 80K miles, but the real winner was the tension strut.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts