Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few days ago that the grill on my 16 SRT has unclipped on one side. It only has 4k miles, no accidents. What the hell is going on?

Only thing I can think of is the car wash pushed it in. Probably time to take it to the dealer as I cannot get it to pop back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Removing the front clip can be done in 1/2 hour. I did not take off the wheels but instead used car ramps in the front. Below were all the tools I used (plastic rivet tool and rivets were from Harbor Freight). I did not use a drill to remove the plastic rivets but instead sheared them off using the blue handled tool, which I bought online a while ago but it is possible to use diagonal cutters. I had to be careful not to scratch the paint on one of the rivets attached to the metal fender (don't have an image of that one but it is the top most plastic rivet).

tools.JPG

Here are images of showing the location of most of the fasteners. There are vids on youtube showing how to take the clip off but they almost never show the middle nut which is a little difficult to reach. I was able to remove/install the clip by myself but be careful of the 2 top guide pins as they are plastic and can break (just slide forward to remove, don't lift or tilt the clip). Good luck!

Fender.JPG

Fender 2.JPG

Fender 3.JPG

Below is the vid on youtube that helped me

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
:nerd:Lol, just paying it forward.

I had most of the images when I took the clip off to install the LED boards on the headlights. Actually posting stuff here is easier to find later than on my PC.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much!!! Any idea why it came loose?

Removing the front clip can be done in 1/2 hour. I did not take off the wheels but instead used car ramps in the front. Below were all the tools I used (plastic rivet tool and rivets were from Harbor Freight). I did not use a drill to remove the plastic rivets but instead sheared them off using the blue handled tool, which I bought online a while ago but it is possible to use diagonal cutters. I had to be careful not to scratch the paint on one of the rivets attached to the metal fender (don't have an image of that one but it is the top most plastic rivet).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Thank you very much!!! Any idea why it came loose?

Probably wasn't put on at the factory correctly in the first place. For example, my passenger side headlamp assembly was not seated all the way. There was a ball/socket joint that was not snapped into place yet all 3 fasteners were in place. The driver side assembly was seated and ball/socket joint required quite a bit of force to unseat and remove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts