Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are 11 plastic rivets, these need to come out.

Grab your cordless gun and a 1/8" drill bit.

Drill out the centers, do not use a bigger size as this will cause the head to come off and your rivet to rattle around inside your nose piece.

Carefully and slowly peel back after you have drilled your rivets out.

As you can see, I was able to get 9 of the 11 rivets completely out.

Do not forget to clean back here before you install the new piece.

Some people use a different type of sealant, but remember, you still need to replace these rivets as they also hold the nose in place.

All clean and ready to go.

Here's everything you need for the reinstall.

Always test a rivet to make sure it works with your tool of choice.

Ready, set...

Go!

Good as new!

Here are the least expensive parts I have found. Hood seal, $27.58 delivered.
68051392AA Seal Hood Chrysler | eBay

Rivets (3 bucks a piece at the dealer) $7.75 for 25, enough to do this twice.
US Seller 25 Nylon Blind Rivets 3 16" Chrysler 6500898 Free SHIP | eBay

And a hand rivet gun, 5 bucks at Harbor Freight.
Hand Riveter Set

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Nice write up. It's amazing what pigs all dealers make of themselves on parts like those rivets. They literally cost pennies each and they want multiple dollars each for them. It's not like they were machined or other involved production.

Reactions: swiftjr

·
Registered
261 Posts
Swift: Has anyone found a way to recover the other side of the broken rivets in the nose? I used your method and drilled them out but was only able to get about 7 completely removed. The others had to be broken off and pushed into the front. I know the little plastic pieces will eventually blow down and most likely never cause a rattle. Just a curiosity I guess.

Thanks for the great write up though. And if anyone wants a better replacement than the rivets which makes it easier to replace the next time around, go to an auto store and utilize some Christmas tree style body panel clips. I used the largest diameter ones that will fit into the hole. It holds snug and looks like a factory install.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Super write up a we appreciate you doing this.....I take shop towels and put them in place and thing that falls I get out....if its metal and a tight space I use and telescoping magnet tool that has save my tush over the last 42 years....yes I'm older that that too. Hahahahhahaha. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Super write up a we appreciate you doing this.....I take shop towels and put them in place and thing that falls I get out....if its metal and a tight space I use and telescoping magnet tool that has save my tush over the last 42 years....yes I'm older that that too. Hahahahhahaha. :browsmiley:
The area they fall into is basically impossible to reach without taking the whole front end off. And they are plastic so unfortunately a magnet would not work either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.