Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

Any body guys on here. I was just wondering if it the lic plate holes can be repaired being plastic and all or would it be better to buy a front bumper cover. I have found them from 78. to 300. primed so it would just need to be painted.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,523 Posts
Dumb Idea or Ingenious Vision?

Howdy folks,

Any body guys on here. I was just wondering if it the lic plate holes can be repaired being plastic and all or would it be better to buy a front bumper cover. I have found them from 78. to 300. primed so it would just need to be painted.
Thankfully, I was able to stop the dealership lackey before he screwed that plate holder into the bumper of my car after I had finalized the purchase of the car. But I have often wondered what I would have done if they had attached it to the bumper w/ screws.

I am no body man by trade, but I have dabbled enough in those dark arts that I would be comfortable trying out a fix on my own car, if I thought it stood a chance of working. I had several hair-brained ideas cook themselves up as a "fix", but only one decent one I thought could be made to work.

It went something like this:
1. Cut heads off mounting screws, making the screw as short as possible while still ensuring it's at least as long as body panel is thick.
2. Screw the screws back into the screw holes (using drill bit maybe?) until they are slightly below the level of the body panel surface.
3. Prime the screw's chopped surface with automotive touch-up primer paint.
4. Apply color-matching touch-up paint to same spots, making sure to leave the spots slightly raised when compared to the paint height immediately around screw holes.
5. Wet-sand the two areas flat with 2K-2500 grit sandpaper.
6. Polish out the sanding scratches, and apply a good paint sealant over whole panel to protect going fwd.

Those are just the broad strokes obviously, some details would still need to be fleshed out, but that was my best idea on repairing those holes. Feel free to give it a day in court to see if even plausible/possible.
Just let me know how it goes if you do, as I'm curious as to whether it's even possible to attempt
Nuke

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
They make color matched plugs ive seen guys talk about on here?

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
If already had the holes I'd either swap the bumper cover or leave it, it would be like a mini bumper guard.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
They make color matched plugs ive seen guys talk about on here?
Well sure, if one wishes to take the easy way out and avoid any hardships, that sounds like the way to go...not me tho! Adversity builds character!!

So I always look for the hardest way to do something and go that route...you'd think I'd be up to my eyeballs in character by now with that approach, but not the case...guess I still have a lot of living & learning yet to do.

Hmmmm...I may have to switch philosophies now that I think about it. Change my vote to the easy way!

Color matching plugs are in, and untested, hair-brain schemes are out!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Huh, I thought all the bumpers had holes in them. I bought my SRT8 off the lot (saw it get pulled off the truck) and under the stripes you can see two hole indents for the license plate. The car was from Florida, where front plates aren't required. Not sure if they are all like that or I just got some fluke.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Huh, I thought all the bumpers had holes in them. I bought my SRT8 off the lot (saw it get pulled off the truck) and under the stripes you can see two hole indents for the license plate. The car was from Florida, where front plates aren't required. Not sure if they are all like that or I just got some fluke.
Yes, all cars have the indents. They are there as a reference to where to drill. The OP wants to correct the holes drilled by the dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well sure, if one wishes to take the easy way out and avoid any hardships, that sounds like the way to go...not me tho! Adversity builds character!!

So I always look for the hardest way to do something and go that route...you'd think I'd be up to my eyeballs in character by now with that approach, but not the case...guess I still have a lot of living & learning yet to do.

Hmmmm...I may have to switch philosophies now that I think about it. Change my vote to the easy way!

Color matching plugs are in, and untested, hair-brain schemes are out!!
Dude youre preachin to the choir... . I got the bright idea to try to port my oem throttle body a week or two ago... Needless to say i had to buy another one lol

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
Dude youre preachin to the choir... . I got the bright idea to try to port my oem throttle body a week or two ago... Needless to say i had to buy another one lol
And I got the bright idea to try to help you troubleshoot it using my car as guinea pig, which in hindsight was probably not a good idea seeing as I ended up killing my battery and had to replace it.

Oh well, if I hadn't bought a battery for car with that $$, I woulda just spent it on beer, and there's no telling how much trouble I'd be in right now if I drank $150 worth of Blue Moon...so see there, you actually probably saved me from untold hardship and misery!
Many thanks sir!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just go to Home Depot. They have small nylon plugs in black. You can paint them if you need.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys never thought of a plug. The bumperplugs.com isn't that bad, they come pre painted to match your ride beats buying the paint and doing it your self later. last time I bought touch up paint was around 10 bucks and then to add your clear another 10 bucks your into it time and about the same price to do it your self. Mucho Gracias

1 - 13 of 13 Posts