Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't taken delivery of my SRT8-392 IE yet, but for you guys in states requiring front plates, how exactly does the bracket attach? I'm hoping dealer doesn't drill holes!

·
Registered
352 Posts
It attaches via drilled holes. You'd better tell your dealership not to drill any holes! There are alternative mounting methods that you can find on this forum.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Izzy is correct. I have the front mounted plate and it is drilled right in there with a nice hefty black bracket.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been driving in Colorado for 9 years with no front plate on my Lightning and 2 years with no front plate on my Challenger. I have never been pulled over for it. I have been pulled over for my window tint though.

·
Registered
630 Posts
As mentioned, guys have come up with a couple of ways of attaching the factory mount to the car without drilling holes in the front of the bumper. You'll find them on this forum. I like the Show N Go mount. It screws to the bottom of the spoiler. I bought the non-motorized one, but they also sell one that has a motor and remote control.

2008-2010 Dodge Challenger Show-N-Go Retractable License Plate Frame

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
As mentioned, guys have come up with a couple of ways of attaching the factory mount to the car without drilling holes in the front of the bumper. You'll find them on this forum. I like the Show N Go mount. It screws to the bottom of the spoiler. I bought the non-motorized one, but they also sell one that has a motor and remote control.

2008-2010 Dodge Challenger Show-N-Go Retractable License Plate Frame
blackdeuce,

Thanks for the link. Can you post any pics of how this attaches to your car? The photos on that site aren't very helpful? It appears to stick out slightly past the front end even when retracted. Is this the case?

JFF:D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It does stick out a little, but you can be creative with your mounting to make it not show as much.

When my car was wrecked I bought one for myself and one for the guy who was fixing my car (he has my exact car), in exchange for him filling in the holes the dealer put in the front bumper to mount the plate holder.

He mounted mine on the lower spoiler way off to the side, as I didn't like it in the middle as shown on the manufacturers site. It actually looked good there... though it's currently in my trunk because I kept hitting the damn thing on parking curbs. The spoiler is too low anyway and adding that gives you pretty much zero clearance.

Anyway, the body shop guy put his in the lower "smile" grill. I think he ended up cutting out just a tiny bit of the grill for the mount to go through, but because it's black you really don't notice it at all. He's very happy with his being there, and obviously didn't have the issue I did.

If you decide on the show-n-go, I would recommend the remote one. Much easier, and fun to show off to your friends! lol

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't think I can get pics without getting the car up in the air. There is only about 6" of clearance under the front spoiler. Not enough room for a camera.

I centered mine on the front spoiler and used the included hardware to mount it. I think it took four screws (the installation instructions call for three, but I added an extra one). I drove the car up on ramps in order to get under the car.

You can see a bit of the mount when the plate is retracted, but I don't think it looks bad. I think it looks better than having the plate up.

I could scan and email the installation instructions to you if you want to send your email address to me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Zip tie the bracket to the lower grill, problem solved!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It attaches via drilled holes. You'd better tell your dealership not to drill any holes! There are alternative mounting methods that you can find on this forum.
DONE!
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts