Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger sxt
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I went in to get an alignment done but was advised not to because the bushings on my front lower forward control arms were wearing down and cracked causing movement. I ordered a set of new ones. My buddy Is doing the install. Is there anything I need to know while in the process. New Ball joints are attached to this as well. Are we needing to inject grease into it? Also any torque down specs would be appreciated. Will be doing 4 wheel alignment afterwards. Thank you to my brothers here on the forum. Appreciate any response to this matter. Best regards and sincere wishes.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,180 Posts
There is a link pinned in the Maintenance section for the online version of the Chiltons manual that will have the torque specs for the various fasteners you’ll encounter. As far as greasing the ball joints before install, if they have grease zerts then you can hit them with a pump or two. If they are sealed, no grease is necessary or possible beforehand.

I have never replaced those control arms on any of my LXs, but I have disassembled the front suspension several times to install new struts. There are a couple of things that occurred to me regarding that procedure that you may find useful:

1) if you have to separate the upper control arm ball joint from the top of the strut, you will need one of those big tuning fork looking tools to pop that joint once the nut has been backed off almost all the way.

2) to get that nut all the way off, you will need a (8mm?) hex socket or Allen wrench to hold the ball joint stud while you loosen the nut with a 18mm wrench. Don’t remove the nut completely though until after the ball joint has been popped. Leaving it on while you do that will keep the strut from dropping all the way off unexpectedly when you pop the joint.

3) when putting that joint back together, use the hex socket and 18mm wrench to get it started. Then torque the nut down to 35 ft lb, and then turn the nut 90 degrees more with a wrench or socket (and ratchet).

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger sxt
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nuke. That's a great help there. I sincerely appreciate it. The tech who diagnosed this symptom actually showed me the cracks on the bushings and the slight movement when he used the big screwdriver to show me. I bought the parts. Just waiting for them. My buddy will install it. Thanks a million. Please take care. Be Safe.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Thanks Nuke. That's a great help there. I sincerely appreciate it. The tech who diagnosed this symptom actually showed me the cracks on the bushings and the slight movement when he used the big screwdriver to show me. I bought the parts. Just waiting for them. My buddy will install it. Thanks a million. Please take care. Be Safe.
Word of advice, make SURE you torque that sob to spec. It can be hard to get enough leverage if you are doing the job on the floor.

Mine came somewhat loose after a quick uturn andi basically had to jump on my long ratchet to tighten it well enough

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,180 Posts
Oh yeah, something else I remembered, the lower shock bolt and upper shock nuts under the plastic cover are not torqued down to spec (95 ft/lb and 20 ft/lb respectively) until the weight of the vehicle is on the suspension. So snug them at reassembly, but wait to torque them until the end when everything is together and off the jack stands

·
Registered
416 Posts
If its the forward arm theres no need to remove the wheel or any other suspension then the front arm. Jack it up, put stand under the car. Turn the wheel all the way so you can access the front bolts. 18mm and 21mm. Remove the front bolt. Then remove the 21mm nut from other end. Seperate joint from spindle then remove the arm..
I usually do them on a lift, but jack and stands would work. Just dont use the harbour freight ones.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger sxt
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Chllngrswpr. I should of posted my update. Thank you for the response and your info to the matter. Install went well. Did the alignment. New tires and balanced complete. Feels good again. It took a total of 4 hours.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack. 6 speed manual.
238 Posts
I was wondering how this is adjusted, I didn't immediately see any way to do this.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger sxt
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cabdriver this part of the alignment was actually done on a machine. They place alignment heads on all 4 wheels and this determines how much to adjust. I've personally never physically performed this. I let the pros at the shop do this.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack. 6 speed manual.
238 Posts
I get that, there are a few ways to move the suspension arms to change the alignment on different vehicles. My Ford Expedition has no allowance for this as built and special off-center control arm bolts need to be installed. In the older cars, shims are used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts