Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you Mopar-10 drivers out there, where are you mounting your front plates. Here is Texas, you have to have both front and back mounted, but looking at the front of the Beast, there is no spot for one. So what are you guys doing? :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I would think the dealer would be responsable for that. My car was shipped to Texas before I bought it and it said it was a texas car and had a front plate bracket on it. If you bought it in Texas I would think they would have to make it street legal for the state.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check out Yatesperformance.com show and go license frame. Availible manual or with electric remote.
Kinda expensive even for the manual but I'm not drilling holes in my front bumper.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is how I did mine. Granted it was way easier because I have the T-rex grille.

The two bolts hold it through the mesh grille. Behind the stock grille there is a horizontal plate that they are bolted to. I found bolts that fit the mesh pattern perfectly so there is no up/down or side to side play. The bottom of the license plate has a strip of thick foam that pushes against the front lower spoiler and keeps the plate from vibrating front/back.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's one for you Mopar-10 drivers out there, where are you mounting your front plates. Here is Texas, you have to have both front and back mounted, but looking at the front of the Beast, there is no spot for one. So what are you guys doing? :scratchhead:
My state also requires a front plate. I was pulled over for not displaying it and, reluctantly, put the plate on using the mounting plate that came with the car. It is countoured to fit dead center of the bumper. Requires drilling holes though! I still hate it. But I'm not giving the local police a reason to stop me anytime they feel like it.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I'ld still like to know why it's not the dealers place to put it on. I wish mine wasn't there but if I lived in Texas I would have made it a requirement.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did waht L1ng did. used toggle bolts and mounted it in the lower grille. work wonderfully and don't have to drill any holes, plus it was cheap.

When the weather warms up again, and I have the time,and think about it.. I'm going to take it off and paint the bolts black, then put it back on again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I forgot to mention in my description there are sleeves on the bolts. They tighten up snug against the grille. After a year and 2 months (10,000 miles) there has been no issues.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....I guess it really depends on how tough your local law enforcement is. Here in CA it is required but you see a fair share of vehicles without one. I haven't used a front plate on any of my cars for the last 25 years. ....never been hassled for it (even when pulled over for other violations). If I ever do get popped, I guess I will worry about it then. I would certainly go for a non-permanent solution though.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have a front plate bracket. Came with my car but was never installed. If you want it it's yours. Just PM me your info.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a front plate bracket. Came with my car but was never installed. If you want it it's yours. Just PM me your info.
I got the bracket also, thanks. Just trying to figure out a good way to do this with drilling into the car.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Texas has a front plate requirement and they're quite strict about it in most places. That means mine was already installed when I got it.

·
Super Moderator
14,135 Posts
Flip the front plate holder provided by Dodge upside down and mount it below the bumper on the lower grill.

Read this for details:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f19/attn-front-plate-idea-7130/

I used the toggle bolt method to mount my front plate. No problems in two years. Just remember to cover the bolt threads with a slit piece of rubber or vinyl tubing. :bigthumb:

If you ever have to remove your plate, you can catch the toggle portion of the bolt with a magnetic wand and pull it through the lower grill.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gave up and just drilled the car and mounted the plate holder. I don't need another reason to get pulled over. Around San Antonio, there are a lot of little towns that will pull you over for 1 mph over their 20 mph limit. Don't need the headaches from something so stupid. Thanks everyone for the great ideas.:guiness:

·
Registered
94 Posts
The least expensive, best way to mount the front plate is to get some 3M automotive tape from Autozone.

Take your plate and slightly crease it vertically in the middle to match the front bumper cover, use some alcohol to clean the area on the plate and the bumper cover, let dry and stick it on.

It will stay on and will not damage the paint. Learned that trick with our GT500. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have seen so many corvettes without front plates....i can`t bring myself to drill those two holes in the front bumper...i have the plate handy and just prop it on the dash if need be...peace all...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This uses a bracket originally intended for the Eclipse you see in the background. I mounted this to the splashplate beneath and nothing touches the front bumper or the front Air dam/lip. So it provides protection for that in the process!

See above post. I edited it and showed some shots from underneath.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts