Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
State Trooper stopped my honey for no front plate the other day. She only got a warning but she got paranoid so I mounted the front plate holder.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
In Nevada a front plate is only required if there is a provision for the front plate on the car. I'd check the DMV law there. If you pull the front plate off and are stuck with the holes check out bumperplugs.com, they made some color matched Furious Fuchsia plugs for our car. There was a piece of license plate shaped plastic in the truck when we bought the car but I didn't know what it was so I tossed it. I wouldn't have installed the plate unless you got a fix it ticket, and then I would have ty wrapped it to the grill.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was gonna wait for a fixit ticket but she was getting paranoid and she drives it to work everyday. It bothered me it was a state boy and not a county cop. Troopers do nothing but pull over cars and he is going to see it again its kinda noticeable in a crowd.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
CA has the same rule about front plates,
Tho had a buddy that gets them once in awhile and he just sends in the fine, thinks of it as a "fee" for a better looking vehicle

·
Registered
292 Posts
Funny, I just had this conversation last night. Wifey wants me to put the plate on (NJ) but I say " We don't need no stinkin plate!".

·
Registered
59 Posts
They are required in OH too. Mine is mounted and the other night at a car show I had like 3 guys yell at me for drilling the holes to mount it. One guy was telling me the law states it only needs to visible from the front, so he put his on his dash. I was kind of peeved that I was catching flack for um following the law, I mean it's my car, not their's right, but oh well. I guess putting it on the dash as an alternative to mounting it? I'd rather not give them any reason to pull me over, so I mounted it to be safe. Not my preference of course, but neither is paying a fine!

BTW, I won a trophy at the show, my first, so those guys can suck an egg! None of them won anything!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I put the james bond plate on mine when a want to show it I just press a butten and it comes up and press it again and it goes down NO HOLES UNDER MY FRONT SPOIL CLEAN LOOK

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
^^^Wish I would have done that.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've been stopped once for no front plate and given a warning on my truck (painted custom front bumper). Never fixed it and hasn't happened since. The cop that pulled me over was a rookie with a senior officer waiting in the car. No ticket, no fix. I sort of get the reasoning behind it, but then again, the fact that some states don't and some states do require it tells me it's really not THAT big a deal. Now if you ever get pulled over in a road race and they start writing a list, it's sure to cost some money, but if you don't give them a reason, they usually wont bother actually writing it up.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
New Mexico doesn't even issue a front plate.

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
Hmmm

Motorcycles don't have front plates in any state. Maybe it's time for someone in government to drop the front plate requirements in all the states that now require them. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have not put mine on and it is the law up here with a nice "little" fine if you get caught. Now with that being said I live quite literally around the corner from a police detachment. I drive past it, through it and around it all the time. Not one officer has ever even noticed, pointed to or stopped me because of not having the front plate on or even visible (it is currently in the little storage area of the trunk).

Now I better not have jinxed myself while I wrote this or I will be really pissed. But I also told myself that I would buy the Show n' Go for the front plate if I ever had to. I personally just do not like the look of the front when the plate is attached as I think it breaks up the nice lines.............just my opinion.

·
Registered
999 Posts
They drilled my car and installed the plate holder before I bought mine. I was going to install a couple of aluminum 90deg brackets to the bottom of the front spoiler it mount mine. 2 holes on the bottom where it would never be seen

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Front plate law

Hmmm

Motorcycles don't have front plates in any state. Maybe it's time for someone in government to drop the front plate requirements in all the states that now require them. :dunno:
Believe it or not, the legislators in Wisconsin proposed a bill to do away with the front plate, but the police lobbied enough to not get it introduced. This is what happens when you sit back and allow the bureaucrats to run the state for you (us). If we don't get involved and get letters and emails to legislators about how we want our state to operate, we just have to yield to the "man."

·
Registered
145 Posts
I mounted my stock bracket and front plate just last night. MA requires a front plate. I don't think it looks that bad. Maybe I'm just used to front plates!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Alaska requires Front plates too! Great one more thing to replace when you hit the moose! I am holding out tho! They will have to pry the front plate from my cold dead fingers to put it on the front of my IE! :browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
They will have to pry the front plate from my cold dead fingers to put it on the front of my IE! :browsmiley:
Is that after you and the moose have your last dance??? :cowsmile:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Seems like with all the budget crises the states are having, they'd all go to just the rear plate. Then they could charge just as much while manufacturing half as many plates.
That was the exact reason for Wisconsin introducing the bill. I heard they were trying to save a million bucks. But don't know over what time period. I thought the radio said a year, but that doesn't sound right with only 5 million people in the state. Not that many cars are sold in a year that would get new plates.

Would like to know which states don't require front plates.

Here it is:

States Requiring Only One License Plate
As of September 2009, the following states require only a license plate on the back bumper: Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana and West Virginia. All other states require two license plates.

Here is an excerpt from an article on ehow.com

Front Plates and LPR
License Plate Recognition Technology (LPR), which uses cameras and computer software to recognize numbers and letters, has been found to be more accurate when a vehicle has both a front and a rear plate. For this reason, more states may pass laws requiring both.

According to the FBI, "license plate recognition software and hardware has gone from something only dreamed about in movies to a viable technological tool for local police and sheriff's departments."

Besides traffic violations, LPR has proven helpful in apprehending wanted felons, prison escapees and vehicles associated with Amber Alerts.

Front Plates and Collector Cars
One of the biggest opponents of the front license plate laws in some states are collectible car enthusiasts. Many are of the opinion that a new front plate mars the look of the older or antique car. Some classic automobile associations have even mounted petition drives to have the laws removed in states where they exist, though these initiatives have yet to meet with any success.

Front Plates Generate Revenue
Besides the success of LPR, the biggest argument for laws requiring front and rear plates is revenue generation for state budgets. When states require two plates they can charge a higher fee for license plate renewal. These fees vary by state, but are generally higher than states that require only a single rear plate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.