Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got tires installed at a quick lane service. The tires were installed properly and looked good. However barely a day later my tire sensor went out. And they aired up my tires to 41 psi! I’ve been told the sensors are supposed to last 7-10 years (by the manufacture) my vehicle is barley 6 years old. The technician told me the battery went out on the sensor and they didn’t break it. Yet it’s so convenient that the sensor went out right after my tires were replaced and they still won’t accept the fact that they most likely broke it. They offered to fix it and said it would cost me around $125!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
It could have just went out, even though the manufacturer says one thing doesn't mean it's correct. Being the sensors are 6 years old, I would have replaced them anyways... not saying that they didn't break it either. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could have just went out, even though the manufacturer says one thing doesn't mean it's correct. Being the sensors are 6 years old, I would have replaced them anyways... not saying that they didn't break it either. Just my opinion.

I understand but I never had any issues with the sensors until a day after they installed tires I mean the odds of it going bad at that time just don’t make sense to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t hate but it was at a Ford dealership they offered a good deal to install. It was their quick lane service.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
LOL, its alright. Unfortunately, you probably gonna have to bite the bullet and have it fixed. It's going to be hard for you to prove that it was working or that they broke it... if you have a Discount tire in your area, call them and see how much they would do it for, new sensor and tire(remount and balance). They might not even have to rebalance or dismount the tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they offered to replace it for free once I left them a bad review and they said they want to show me the sensor because they are certain it is not broken but time will tell.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It’s broken. Been there seen that. Most likely they hit it slightly when breaking the bead or mounting the tire. When you stretch the tire it could hit it and crack it just enough. I would ask to see it as they are removing the tire. If they broke it you will know. They might say it isn’t broken even though it is. Good luck. It’s amazing what a bad review can get you. Lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s broken. Been there seen that. Most likely they hit it slightly when breaking the bead or mounting the tire. When you stretch the tire it could hit it and crack it just enough. I would ask to see it as they are removing the tire. If they broke it you will know. They might say it isn’t broken even though it is. Good luck. It’s amazing what a bad review can get you. Lol
Oh they are going to show me the sensor once they take it off they said they are certain it’s a dead battery and they didn’t break it so we will see haha.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh they are going to show me the sensor once they take it off they said they are certain it’s a dead battery and they didn’t break it so we will see haha.
Best of luck. Coincidentally just one battery went bad right after the tires were mounted and balanced. Hmmm. I call BS it things happen. Let us know. 👍🏻

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best of luck. Coincidentally just one battery went bad right after the tires were mounted and balanced. Hmmm. I call BS it things happen. Let us know. 👍🏻
Yeah see I thought the same thing I mean it took one day for it to go bad it was working when I left the shop and they tried pulling the it was working when you picked it up and that is when I gave them a bad review so I’ll find out tomorrow I’ll definitely report what happened back to y’all.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.

7 to 10 years TPMS battery life is I think a bit optimistic.

So far I have not owned a vehicle equipped with TPMS beyond 33 months and 27.4K miles. But based on my 2nd hand info talking with SAs and techs about TPMS sensors when it comes time to replace the tires on my Scat Pack I'm just going to buy 4 new sensors. Ditto my M-B cargo van.

Too often I was told someone would bring in a vehicle for new tires. The records would be consulted and the owner advised it it "time" to replace the TPMS sensors but since they were working the owner declined.

Invariably the owner would be back sometimes in nearly no time -- and often accusing the tech of damaging the sensor.

What then was often the case is the owner would just have one TPMS sensor replaced rather than all 4. And then some time later, often not too much later either, back he would be to this time have the remaining TPMS sensors replaced.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
6 years old? I would have put in new sensors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Turns out the battery was dead according to the shop technician they replaced it but I never got to see the sensor since I wasn’t there.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Turns out the battery was dead according to the shop technician they replaced it but I never got to see the sensor since I wasn’t there.
So just as an FYI most TPM sensors batteries are built into the sensor and these batteries are not replaceable! Also, if one is going then most likely as mentioned above the others will probably soon follow and why it's recommended to replace them all during tire replacement if you're at or around the life expectancy of the TPM battery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts