Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the arrival of the cold weather, a crunching noise has started to occur whenever I go over something that causes front of the car to compress down and then come back up.

The noise gets louder when the temperature is colder and does NOT go away when the car warms up. I am pretty sure it is something with the suspension and not the springs, shocks, or struts because if the car is parked and I physically push the car down, it does not make the noise.

Needless to say, I am bringing the car in to the dealership so they can take a look at it.

Any ideas on what it might be?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump to see if anyone can help.

I think it might be the bushings in the front of the car. However, I can't believe that they would go already with only 17000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Not sure where you are at but cold does alot of different things to cars. Rubber gets stiff in the bushings, oil gets thicker in the shocks, plastic get harder. It could be almost any where. Does it come from the back or the front? Also you are not pushing down on it as far as the suspension might travel when you drive it.
You also have CV boots in the rear and they have to flex when the suspension jounces and rebounds. They too get hard when it gets cold.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure where you are at but cold does alot of different things to cars. Rubber gets stiff in the bushings, oil gets thicker in the shocks, plastic get harder. It could be almost any where. Does it come from the back or the front? Also you are not pushing down on it as far as the suspension might travel when you drive it.
You also have CV boots in the rear and they have to flex when the suspension jounces and rebounds. They too get hard when it gets cold.
I'm in downstate NY and it is cold. While I understand that the cold can do a lot of different things to a car, this noise is very loud and is coming from the front of the car.

The noise only occurs when the both front wheels have to move up or down at the same time. This usually happens when going over bumps, etc.

However, if I drive over a depression in the road (i.e. small pot hole) and only one wheel has to move, the noise does not occur. With that said, I can rule out the shocks and struts.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Now, your description sounds like sway bar bushings on the frame. Spray some silicone or W-D40 on them and drive it. It doesn't sound like the links but the two frame mounted bushings.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Now, your description sounds like sway bar bushings on the frame. Spray some silicone or W-D40 on them and drive it. It doesn't sound like the links but the two frame mounted bushings.
I agree with that. You can even remove the caps that hold the bar up and rub some silicone grease between the rubber and the bar, and bolt it back up. Very easy to do and if you do one at a time the bar stays put. Just have to take off the heat shields (one small screw) and you'll see the 2 bolts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the information...

I'm still going to bring the car into the dealership for this issue and two other issues (1. The driver's side window makes a clicking sound when rolling it down; 2. When coming to a stop, there is a very loud periodic squeal coming from the rear brakes (any ideas on what this might be? The rear brake pads and rotors have been replaced twice.).

For the noise from the brakes, I know that seamaster suggested another thread (parking brake cable rubbing against something) but I wanted to see if anyone else had other ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts