Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!!! I am totally baffled and can't figure out what has gone wrong.

Riding down the hwy yesterday and all of the sudden I start smelling rubber, thought it was a tractor trailer, but the smell stayed with me so I pulled over to find what you see below. Brand new tires!!!

I recently installed Eibach Sportlines and a set of 22's with a 265/35's on the front. I've spoken with tons of people that have ran that exact same set up and have NEVER seen anything like this? It seems the stud from the balljoint has somehow dropped down (while driving) enough to press on the tire. I followed Speedy's installation video exactly. I am SOOO confused how this could move since it's supposed to be fixed?!? I did notice that the nuts to the ball joints have both backed off somehow???

Below are a bunch of pictures. After the picture of the strut is where I have torqued back down that nut. Not that it should, but it made no difference when I put the tire back on. PLEASE HELP???

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have mentioned that when I put the new tires and wheels on 2 weeks ago I had about 3/4-1" of clearance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really... No one has any thoughts or ideas as to what went wrong? I can't drive my car right now until I fix this so I would really appreciative any help at all. :/

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Wild guess- The nut did not come loose. The ball joint was not completely seated and while you were driving, the ball joint seated = loose nut. Now you have tightened the nut and there is stud protruding to scrape the tire.

Maybe you could grind the extra stud length off?

However I no experience with your modified suspension kit so I could be totally off.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
251 Posts
I have never seen anything like that. My car is lowered... a lot. With a Hotchkis kit and I haven't had any issues. I am going to put my car on the lift and see if I can figure something out for you.

Steven

·
Registered
467 Posts
My husband is a mechanic, he is at work right now I will show him the pictures when he comes home.
If I were you I would take this car to a trusted tire/mechanic shop. I think you are lucky you didn't have one of your wheels come flying off while driving, you have ruined your new tire and probably have a bad alignment to boot.

Forgot to add, tow it, do not drive it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Vendor
12,859 Posts
good point made, was the ball joint seated all the way??? i would remove the nut add stud lock tite and reinstalled and cut the exposed threads
if you have enough clearance, go for it

Luke

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.. as far as I know and understand the ball joint was seated properly, but just in case I am misunderstanding could one of you spell it out. When I originally installed everything a couple of weeks ago there was about 1/3inch of thread exposed, as you can see in the first pictures that has changed. I was able to tighten it back up to get the same thread exposure which would confirm that the nut did back off, but even before I still had enough clearance. The last pictures show that thread, but even if I were to grind off that remaining thread it is still very very close.

Redline & laurag146 I would really appreciate you guys taking a closer look etc. I towed it home and would tow it anywhere else for sure, it's definitely not drivable the way it sits now. I think the tires will be ok, just damaged cosmetically, but it's definitely a kick in the gut still.

Still confusing because this part is fixed, so how can it move. I guess is if the ball joint is unseated...and within the rubber boot has came out? And just to be clear, this is the same for both sides identically, not just one side.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
whats the other side look like?

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
467 Posts
Still confusing because this part is fixed, so how can it move. I guess is if the ball joint is unseated...and within the rubber boot has came out? And just to be clear, this is the same for both sides identically, not just one side.
I sent my hubby the the link and I'm hoping that 1 of the other mechanics that has a smartphone( he has a dumb phone) can look at it but they are slammed today so he may not be able to see it until he gets home. This makes no sense to me either, how could the gap between the tire and the upper tie rod end change since there is no movement in this part unless the bushing wasn't seated??? To be clear the exact same thing happened on both of your front tires? On both sides the nut backed off and the thread came in contact with your tires?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I doubt the ball joint moved or the steering knuckle. Most likely the tire expanded, closing up the gap.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just spoke with my husband, the first thing that he would like to know are the bolts for the upper control arm tight? Not the ball joint but the actual control arm bolts. Also are your strut mount bolts tight? The nut on your ball joint should have never backed off if it was tight enough in the first place. Is the nut on your ball joint a castle nut or a locking nut? If it's a castle nut it should have a cotter pin through it, if it's a locking nut it should have a wax ring. If you would like my husband said he can help you over the phone I can pm you his phone number if you'd like.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Laura - The exact same on both sides. The upper control arm was never touched thoughout the process. The strut nuts are tightened under the hood and the single nut for the bolt underneath is also tight, along with the swaybar nuts. The nut in the pictures is an 18mm aluminum nut and it was tightened properly to spec when I did the installation and showed roughly 1/3 inch of thread. On one side I was able to retorque it again and regain roughly the same amount of thread. I hope that helps and yeah I will take any help I can get, so I will shoot you a pm. Thanks so much.

S/S - I initially thought the same thing, but I had close to an inch of clearance before, but now even after sitting a couple of days the tires still touch that bolt???

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If it's "exactly" the same on ther side, then I don't think the nuts decided to back off precisely at the same time. Not much of a chance of that happening. something to do with the set-up combo. You say someone else has done this to their Challenger? NO other differences? Are you sure? This is goofy if the other side did the mirror image.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely goofy... Now I may should have mentioned that this happened after going very fast on the hwy so one thought I had was maybe the force of the wind pushing down on the car, but that still shouldn't effect this since it's fixed. So frustrated... It's killing me not to be able to drive her.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The sportlines drop the car almost 2 inches... With the 265-35-22 and the wrong off set on the wheels or a tire that has a thick tread pattern that can happen, if everthing was installed right and its still rubbing the bolt... All. You have to do is have the bolt shaven down... It takes maybe ten minutes per side and i guarantee your problem will be solved. Just shave the bolt down, i have seen it done a million times, any reputable rim shop can do it for you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't shave the bolts... something else is wrong. You should have a lot more clearance than that. I don't know what is causing it but it is definitely not right

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand shaving the bolts would give it some room, but it would still be under a half inch of clearance and there is still a problem bc it shouldn't have happened. I put 700-800 miles on the car prior to this happening over the last couple of weeks and also had it aligned at about 300 miles after dropping it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you know of anyone else that has the same set up as you? You need to see what their clearance is. If you don't have the clearance and you hit any bumps you will scrape your tires even if you shave it down. You need to raise it up about 3/4 of an inch at least. JMO

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DkGry1 - I understand why you would say that, but the problem is that this particular part is stationary, it moves with the wheel not the suspension. It is always supposed to be fixed so raising or lowering it should not matter as it has no effect on the length of that fixed arm you see in the 7th picture. I think that's why this is so confusing to everyone, especially myself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts