Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
All I can think is if the ball joint wasn't loose, the only parts to change that distance is down at the spindle, or the baring pack in the hub. Most everything else is a fixed distance on that area. I would measure both sides to see if they match. Just my 2 cents on it.

Drag

·
Registered
467 Posts
Did you ever get it repaired or figure out what was wrong?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If that nut backs off it effectively shortens the amount of ball stud coming through the steering knuckle. This would lessen the likelihood of tire rub and increase the risk of ball joint separation. You are damned lucky you only ended up with some extra grooves in your front tires and not turned over in a ditch somewhere.

My guess looking at the mounted rim/tire in relation to the steering knuckle is over size rim with wrong offset. Most likely it was like that when driven away from the shop. The installer should have caught this while he was correctly torquing the front end assembly back together.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I recently installed Eibach Sportlines and a set of 22's with a 265/35's on the front. I've spoken with tons of people that have ran that exact same set up and have NEVER seen anything like this?
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't the 2011+ Challengers need to replace the upper control arms with some aftermarket ones in order to make this particular Eibach kit work?

2008-2010, no problem. 2011+, problems. I would bet that's why some told you that they had no problems, because they weren't 2011+ cars.

I'd call Eibach and ask them. Pretty sure that's what they are going to tell you.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Dude, your tires are too big!!

That arm is one size. It mounts to the spindle. If that nut loosened, it would only pull the ball joint stud away from the tire. Not closer to it.

I think when you mount the tires and put the car on the ground, you rammed the tire into the stud. After driving the stud may have turned and the nut came loose.

That arm didn't shrink.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
heres my car w 275/40/20 nitto invos. Look at the clearance. my tire is shorter than your 265/35/22's by about 3/4"

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having all this trouble.

The stock 245/45/20's are 28.68 dia.
The 235/35/22's you have are 29.30 dia.

I think your tire/wheel combo is to large.

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really... No one has any thoughts or ideas as to what went wrong? I can't drive my car right now until I fix this so I would really appreciative any help at all. :/

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
What ended up being wrong with your car

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
What ended up being wrong with your car
The chances that embarrassed dude will answer after nine years is remote. That wheel/tire combo was too tall, period, that happens. That top knuckle bolt generally rules the tire height in the front of an LX. The only exception is when you might gap a wheel out, the radius of the outside edges could contact the liner, otherwise you hit that bolt, it won’t work, move on.

Reactions: theblaisez24

·
Vendor
12,820 Posts
not uncommon, especially with 22's, you will need to trim the protruding stud

also be careful with inside of tire rubbing the spindle, offset is critical

21 - 30 of 30 Posts