Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is specific to the SRT8s. But the front tires are wearing out on the outside edge. They are wearing even though. Is this normal for these cars? I figured they would wear quicker on the inside edge if anything. Its almost time for new front tires because of this. Thanks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I am not sure if this is specific to the SRT8s. But the front tires are wearing out on the outside edge. They are wearing even though. Is this normal for these cars? I figured they would wear quicker on the inside edge if anything. Its almost time for new front tires because of this. Thanks.
My F1's wore on the outers, one reason to rotate them. I have 255 Hankooks all around, which allows a front to rear rotation. You think the 245's wear prematurely on the fronts, you should see how the 255's look. Not pretty. I'm probably going to not rotate this cycle due to my burnouts at the Mopar Nationals causing some abnormal wear to the rears :), but looks like the downside to running 255's all around is they really take it hard on the outer edges on the fronts. Nature of the beast, imo.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Make sure to get your alignment checked. Our tires were wearing out on outside edges. Both fronts and one back were out of alignment

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't rotate the tires, bigger tires on the rear. I wouldn't think the alignment would be that far out already. It wouldn't hurt to get it checked though.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Remember, the SRT's have a wider rear tire, so rotating is out of the question. (Unless you want wider tires in the front....but wouldn't suggest that) I burned through my fronts in about 11,000 miles, and I'm NOT an aggressive driver. Had it aligned when I put new fronts on and noticed now at 15,000 there is still wear starting to show. Looks like the rears will go about 30,000, but just may have to replace fronts between 10 and 12k. Gonna try some different rubber when I need new ones.

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
Tire wear is a trade-off. The stickier tires, like the F1s, have a softer rubber compound and wear faster than the all-season RSAs. I would suggest checking the wear rating before you buy new tires. (Note: The F1s only have a 240 wear rating).

·
Registered
212 Posts
My concern too

:(Got 14700 km on mine & shows lot of wear.Aggressive driver 5% of the time only.Will align next summer & put the left front tire on right & vice versa.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
My 2009 SRT8 did the same thing. outside wear on the F1's. I had excessive toe in on the alignment. I rotate my tires ,side to side , every 6K , per manual.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The F1's are pretty good tires, but waaay too expensive to replace. I've gotten good service out of my Hankook EVO's (255 all around), though they are soft, too. My treadwear is better than on the F1's, but would have been a lot better if I had passed on a few of the smokier burnouts. I'm looking at replacing all four in the middle of the summer of 2011. The Hankooks will cost a fraction of the Goodyears, too, so even if treadwear were identical, I come out ahead. As it is, I predict 10,000 miles more than the F1's, and that would have been 15,000 had I behaved myself.

I did rotate the F1's side to side. The Hankooks rotate front to back (they are directionaly, so no side to side), since they are the same size.

Anybody with Nitto Invo's want to post up their experiences?

FYI, here's the Hankook tread pattern.

I've been thinking of trying a similar Nitto, the NT555 which is a wee bit more expensive. Here's the NT555

·
Registered
69 Posts
Make sure to get your alignment checked. Our tires were wearing out on outside edges. Both fronts and one back were out of alignment
EXACTLY THE SAME WITH MINE...Right Rear was out...

get it aligned' just about all of the srt's are out. call dodge and complain
I had dealer do my oil changes, tire rotation....at near 15K, I happened to park it with the tires turned, FIRST CLUE of the outer wear.

CHRYSLER WITCH took the first call and info, assigned a case number, then directed me to call Goodyear....SHE HAS NOT RETURNED SEVERAL REQUESTS SINCE THEN! Talking to Utah..not Auburn Hills, MI.

GoodYear pro rated and replaced at 1/2 off new price with proof of re alignment. Dealer said too bad, over 12K miles, out of warranty.....screw you!

GET THE CAR ALIGNED RIGHT AWAY (if I had it to do over again) The "WITCH" sarcastically asked well when did you last have it aligned??? Like never lady...the car is babied, no bumps, curbs, foul weather, etc....whodathunkit????? Yeah, like the dealer will rack it without a problem....

It didnt pull, ran straight as an arrow down the road...

come to find out, Auburn Hills dont even know WHERE the alignment needs to be set!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting, I just test drove an '09 with 15,000 miles, noticed that the outer fronts had been worn down significantly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
16k and totally worn out on the front outer edges dealership claims the alignment is perfect . asked for print out of alignment and was told the machines printer was broke let the battle begin

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Mine were horribly out of align with outerwear & feathering in front and rears were worse. Luckily I did not wait to long and got some extra use from my tires. I also boosted the PSI about 4 lbs in the front to extend the wear. Did not care for ride as much but allowed me to save $$ on tires. Now I purposely boost fronts a few PSI's so I don't get the outwear as I like to do some aggressive corning from time to time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've had the same issue on BOTH the 08 and 09 the outer fronts just wear quick if you're even a little aggressive in the corners. I've now got 12K on 245/45/20 and 275/40/20 Pirelli P Zeros and they're feathering on the outside edges. The F1's lasted around 8K before the fronts were gone on my 2008. I replaced the RSA's on the 09 at 4K. Couldn't stand them anymore. Moving on to Yokohama Pradas this summer.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

This is indicitive of front axle alignment issues, most likely incorrect toe.

Get a SKILLED front end guy to adjust it and rotate the tires side-to-side at least every ~6,000 miles.

When I bought my car used a year ago it had just over 15,000 miles on it and the tires were shot all the way around. The fronts were feathered and scrubbed badly on the outside edges. Our front end guy (damn good at it by the way) aligned it for me and I put fresh F1s back on. They have traveled just over 10,000 miles with one rotation (side to side) and the wear is remarkably even.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts