Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys- opinions please from experience strut tower owners,

In another thread JMcDAnielx installed a Speedlogix front tower brace with success. That got me thinking about putting one on my '15 SP with a Shaker. I'm a "spirited driver" who does not track, but enjoy using long Texas on- ramps as my personal drag strip along with taking corners pretty hard.

Here are my goals/wishes/priorities

1) Quiet the car down. I have a healthy neurosis to any kind of squeaks and rattles on the interior (my car is actually pretty quiet) and I'd like to help keep her that way. This is my my main reason for consideration.

2) Fit and finish. I would like high quality product and straight forward install. Welds, powder coating (if applicable) hole alignment and a professional looking finished appearance. Although I have 25k on the car, my engine and underhood is spotless and straight forward. Experience with specific brans/models would be helpful.

3) Performance. Yes, beyond keeping the car quiet what will I experience from my SOTP meter?

4) Rear tower mounts. For my purposes, is the rear strut tower worth considering? Will the "juice be worth the squeeze?"

5) Value. Yes, money is always an object but I do not have to be super budget driven. Quality and value will always win in my calculus.

6) The "non quantifiable" Is there anything I missed or over looked in anyone experience that you can share?

Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, my research is showing three options for the SP with a Shaker
1) Speed logic
2) Petty
3) Mopar

My impressions just from reading...

SpeedLogic, I like the four point mounting as it makes sense that it will be more solid and give the car more stiffness. Getting the bar i the color of my cr is a bonus. I am concerned about fit/finish reviews and that while install (should) be pretty straight forward, it does require removing of bars, hood cowl, rubber trim, zip ties and open strut bolts without a modified cover.

Petty- Two point mounting going strut to strut mount. Looks to be direct fit with easier install without the removal of bars, trim and rubber trim. Looks sturdy, but is it as strong at the Speed Logic four point?

Mopar- 2 piece Individual mounts going from the shock tower to the black support bar for a mount that must be drilled. They look clearly look like an after thought and I worry about the effectiveness at that back mounting bar just does not look that strong. I'm not sold on these.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
776 Posts
I would choose the Speedlogix brace because of the four point mounting design. I don't think that every car has the exact same dimensions, especially after being driven and flexed by road conditions, speed bumps and cornering forces. Because of that, I wouldn't worry about having to make small adjustments to get a particular brace to fit. With that consideration in mind, I will go with the Speedlogix brace when I get around to installing one on my Challenger.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,277 Posts
So, my research is showing three options for the SP with a Shaker
1) Speed logic
2) Petty
3) Mopar

My impressions just from reading...

SpeedLogic, I like the four point mounting as it makes sense that it will be more solid and give the car more stiffness. Getting the bar i the color of my cr is a bonus. I am concerned about fit/finish reviews and that while install (should) be pretty straight forward, it does require removing of bars, hood cowl, rubber trim, zip ties and open strut bolts without a modified cover.

Petty- Two point mounting going strut to strut mount. Looks to be direct fit with easier install without the removal of bars, trim and rubber trim. Looks sturdy, but is it as strong at the Speed Logic four point?

Mopar- 2 piece Individual mounts going from the shock tower to the black support bar for a mount that must be drilled. They look clearly look like an after thought and I worry about the effectiveness at that back mounting bar just does not look that strong. I'm not sold on these.

Thoughts?
Can't beat the construction, weld quality, and finish of a Petty brace IMO. NASCAR quality build.

Never hear about a Petty bar "rusting" either. Can't say that about some others.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
Petty.

·
Super Moderator
17,469 Posts
Here's the Mopar strut brakes for the Shaker - installed on my '16 (these have been a factory option since 2019)
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Grille Hood
Motor vehicle Pipe Machine Metal Engine

Reactions: Leonard

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,707 Posts
I like the design of the Petty brace, but I don't think it will clear the bottom of the Shaker scoop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Guys- opinions please from experience strut tower owners,

In another thread JMcDAnielx installed a Speedlogix front tower brace with success. That got me thinking about putting one on my '15 SP with a Shaker. I'm a "spirited driver" who does not track, but enjoy using long Texas on- ramps as my personal drag strip along with taking corners pretty hard.

Here are my goals/wishes/priorities

1) Quiet the car down. I have a healthy neurosis to any kind of squeaks and rattles on the interior (my car is actually pretty quiet) and I'd like to help keep her that way. This is my my main reason for consideration.

2) Fit and finish. I would like high quality product and straight forward install. Welds, powder coating (if applicable) hole alignment and a professional looking finished appearance. Although I have 25k on the car, my engine and underhood is spotless and straight forward. Experience with specific brans/models would be helpful.

3) Performance. Yes, beyond keeping the car quiet what will I experience from my SOTP meter?

4) Rear tower mounts. For my purposes, is the rear strut tower worth considering? Will the "juice be worth the squeeze?"

5) Value. Yes, money is always an object but I do not have to be super budget driven. Quality and value will always win in my calculus.

6) The "non quantifiable" Is there anything I missed or over looked in anyone experience that you can share?

Thanks Guys!
We had a single strut brace installed at the Petty Garage - Fortunately we live in Fayetteville so it was an easy drive and they installed immediately for us on our 2018 RT+.
1. Tightened up the body roll but with a tighten body you do get more squeaks when cold.
2. Great product regarding fit and finish.
3. Performance - we are both in our late 60's & wanted to eliminate some of the body roll especially when we travel I77 going through W VIR turnpike (many many curves). Hugh difference and improved handling.
4. Considered it - but RT+ WILL BE replaced with the 6.4 and don't want to put the additional money into the current ride.
Value is there even with the single strut - We are more concerned with handling (not ready for the Cadillac seen) and please with the product with Petty. For buying a $300 + part you would think we were replacing the entire suspension - Customer Service A+++.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Widebody Scat Pack
67 Posts

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
868 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Not a Shaker, but this Speedlogix brace was on my 13, my 16, and now my 20 WB. The cowl panel nor the wipers need to come off, I figured out how to do it without that by installing this one 3 times. Before you bolt it all down, you need to open the Brake Fluid access panel and reach down to the windshield wiper motor. Pull it up until the grommet on the housing engages the big slot on the black bracket.
I like how this round bar replaces the original black cowl piece. Much sturdier. Ride feels great, much more road feedback.

·
Registered
#6 of 80 Mopar '17 Challenger
109 Posts
I have the Shaker and the Mopar braces up front from the factory. Mopar '17 package.
I added the Mopar rear brace since it matched.
I'm more of a looks type guy at this point since the car is based on performance to begin with, plus I'm not a track guy.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,707 Posts
Not a Shaker, but this Speedlogix brace was on my 13, my 16, and now my 20 WB. The cowl panel nor the wipers need to come off, I figured out how to do it without that by installing this one 3 times. Before you bolt it all down, you need to open the Brake Fluid access panel and reach down to the windshield wiper motor. Pull it up until the grommet on the housing engages the big slot on the black bracket.
I like how this round bar replaces the original black cowl piece. Much sturdier. Ride feels great, much more road feedback.

View attachment 1008913
That is actually my favorite one but I am not patient enough to install it. Wiper motor, PCM.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts