Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had temperatures in the mid to low 20's at night and the windows will not drop down when I go to enter my Challenger, have to really pull on the door to get the window to come past the window seal than have to slam the door to close as the window stops against the window seal. The windows will not operate from the inside until the temperature warms up or I've run the car with the heater on to warm things up. Yesterday AM I couldn't even get in, the locks would not operate with the FOB or with the key. The key will go in the lock but wouldn't turn.

Has anyone else had to deal with these problems and what did you have to do to resolve.

I know a lot of you guys have your Challengers parked in heated garages for the winter, but I bought this as a daily driver and sorry to say I don't have a garage available to park it in,( wish I did ). I should think with the amount of people on this site that I can't be the only one who has to let it sit outside in the cold.

I don't think Dodge built this as a summer only vehicle. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Larry

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Get a remote start and make sure you leave the heat on. Run the car for at least 20 minutes before getting in and hopefully this will work to heat up the window seals.

This is the first car I ever owned that I had to once leave it home because the window would not drop and it was frustrating. I've sprayed de-icer around the seals which helps but now I run it for awhile with the remote start.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been afraid I would have to use my car as a daily driver too. (the engine on my other daily driver burnt up) Anyway, I bought some de-icer and put it in my trunk so if the windows got iced up I could spay them down with that. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if my idea works or not but I would think it should and would let the window drop when you open the door. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Order Gummi-Pflege - it works. Trim the sponge to make it easier to apply to the window gasket (trim with a utility knife so the sponge is just a little over and under the middle plunger/dispenser). By window gasket, I mean where the window descends into the door.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
You guys windows lock up just because it's cold even when it's not damp? I always let mine warm up a few min. before driving it but I can't see why they would freeze up if not damp.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just think that these cars weren't designed with winter daily driving in mind. Anytime you have a frame less style door & window, icy winter weather tends to be a issue. These cars were originally designed as toy cars to be used in warmer weather. Luckily, mines evading the R.I winter in the garage. Though I do take it out on the weekends though.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
The fob should open the lock. U may have a low battery in the fob. Sometimes I have to hit the fob several times around the car but it always opens at some point. Unless u got water in the lock some how. I think the fob batt that I been using since Nov '08 is getting low on juice. 40 thou miles on it. Gummi-Pflege or simmilar the outer seal on the window.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Mopar recommends Aquapel glass treatment. It is likely just like Rain-x.

The least you can do is to take a damp towel, and clean the window edge and the rubber areas around the door frame (when it's above freezing). Allow it to dry completely (hopefully before it gets too cold).

·
Registered
96 Posts
We have had temperatures in the mid to low 20's at night and the windows will not drop down when I go to enter my Challenger, have to really pull on the door to get the window to come past the window seal than have to slam the door to close as the window stops against the window seal. The windows will not operate from the inside until the temperature warms up or I've run the car with the heater on to warm things up. Yesterday AM I couldn't even get in, the locks would not operate with the FOB or with the key. The key will go in the lock but wouldn't turn.

Has anyone else had to deal with these problems and what did you have to do to resolve.

I know a lot of you guys have your Challengers parked in heated garages for the winter, but I bought this as a daily driver and sorry to say I don't have a garage available to park it in,( wish I did ). I should think with the amount of people on this site that I can't be the only one who has to let it sit outside in the cold.

I don't think Dodge built this as a summer only vehicle. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Larry
I drive a 95 Cutlass Calais over the winter and the locks freeze regularly. I lost the FOB some time ago and I finally found a lock deicer spray at Walmart for $.97 called Lock De-icer and Lubricant. It's a small container of a little over 1/2 oz. that can be carried in coat pocket easily. The spray tip is formed to fit in the keyhole. A shot or two should do it for you. I have had to deal with prying the door open at times. Luckily for me there is a frame around the window but the door does stick to the rubber seal. I do keep my Chally indoors and now it is enjoying the Big Sleep, though I do have to contend with 3 other cars in the drive. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Sometimes you just have to hold the unlock button longer than on the older cars. It just isn't a press any more like in my 01, 02 and 03 Mopars. All doors freeze. My 03 Durango can stick on cold days and I really have to pull hard to break the ice seal. I worried about the drop window, too. The wife's 10 Mustang convertible has that, too. At least I can take the Durango to work when the weather turn sour. As much as I want to drive the Challenger, why?

·
Registered
197 Posts
WD-40 or any good silicone sprayed on a small section of cloth..wipe the seal and the window 1/2 " up on glass..lower window 1 " and raise again and repeat with rag. Lock car and in AM window will lower. Any good silicone will work..just dont over do it, then you get smears. Note when weather warms up..a regular car/window wash will remove excess if you went heavy ....

·
Registered
151 Posts
For those who aren't fanatical about only Mopar parts , General Motors "
silicone emulsion " paste will also stop the windows from sticking.
Reasonable priced at $ 7.95 a bottle that will last a couple of winters.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It has nothing to do with the lock, the fact is when you drove it last it was warm inside and cold outside, so over night you got a frozen seal along the window. If you have a manual you CANNOT use remote start, cause their isnt one.

I leave for work every day at 5:30am and live in wisconsin. Yep it's cold. My car sits out all night. Ive had a 2009 and picked up a 2010 this summer. So model year doesnt make a difference. I open the door and if it sticks along the top, i use lock de-icer along the top. After I start the car, i go back in the house, even if the door doesnt close tight, it will after it warms up. Make sure you have the heat selector down your feet and defrost setting, turn on the rear defroster, and the heated seat if you got it. 15 minutes later all is well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Billyjoebob1,

It was definitely the door lock as the Lock button would not go up with either the FOB or even with the door key. The door key went in to the lock but would not turn.

Larry

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I think the best idea would be to move "south", to the more "car-friendly" states....thats my plan sometime in the near future:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts