Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those in colder/wetter climates, do you have issues with the windows freezing and consequently opening the doors?

I drove the challenger last week which I wouldn't normally do this time of year because the wonder Dart was out of commission. One of the colder mornings, the windows froze. They didn't want to pop down that half inch or so to open the door. Then when I went to close it, it didn't want to seal right. What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Aquapel has been recommended, but I've had very little luck with it. All I do is fight with it the get it free and then it's usually fine. It's typically only an issue during transitions into freezing weather. So if it goes from +5 to -10 C overnight or something. But once it gets cold and stays cold, it's fine. The other thing is if you wash the car or if you drive it out of a heated garage or shop and into the cold. If I wash the car, I'll leave the windows down when I park it. Then every hour or so, open the door and move the window. Do that 3 or 4 times until it's acclimated to the cold again, and you're good to go. I know it's ridiculous but I've found that works.

Hopefully someone else can chime in if they've found a miracle compound treatment that works for this.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had success sliding a credit card between the window and along the length of the seal.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
69 Posts
You can also buy a bottle of spray deicer and spray it on the window just above the weatherstrip.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
57 Posts
Last winter I had that problem once after a freak ice storm. Started the car and used the defroster to get the ice off the windows. Later that day I sprayed some dry silicone on a rag and wiped down all the weather stripping. Didn't have the problem again. This winter the car is parked in my garage but will do it again just in case...

·
Registered
358 Posts
At the bottom.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
Only second hand knowledge, winter is just a concept here ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
358 Posts
If there was significant ice buildup, I would spray hand sanitizer or some other deicing agent, but the credit card trick (which I found on this site) takes 5 seconds at most and is clean. I always have a credit card handy, too.

spray hand sanitizer along the edge

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Another more permanent solution for us cold-climate folks is a remote-starter. You can let the car warm-up before you even have to open the doors, so that they are naturally "un-frozen" before you even attempt to get in the vehicle. It is just so nice to be able to start your car from the comfort of your home (or where ever you are) and get into an already warmed-up car. It's an added bonus if the car has heated seats and a heated steering wheel, which both activate automatically when you remote-start the car. :)

Living in a state that has a winter season, remote start is an option that I get in every car now (I had to add it afterwards on my Challenger GT though). Once you get used to it, you really miss it when it's not there - at least for a "daily driver". Easily worth the cost, IMO.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
For those in colder/wetter climates, do you have issues with the windows freezing and consequently opening the doors?

I drove the challenger last week which I wouldn't normally do this time of year because the wonder Dart was out of commission. One of the colder mornings, the windows froze. They didn't want to pop down that half inch or so to open the door. Then when I went to close it, it didn't want to seal right. What am I missing?
Side windows freezing -- mainly at where the glass moves through the door -- and failing to drop when the door is opened was a problem I first encountered with my Boxster.

My solution was to just open the door. The top edge of the glass scraped the top aluminum rail but there was no harm. Closing was a problem but I learned to not try to close the door until after I had the window working again.

To get the window working again inside the car with the ignition on and the window buttons functional I'd gently wiggle the glass and push the lower button. The grip of ice along the seal where the glass entered the door would break then the window could go down and up just fine.

To prevent the glass from sticking to the weatherstripping along the top edge of the glass and to prevent the doors and trunk lids sticking to the weatherstripping they sealed against I used Gummi Pflege on the weather stripping. I'd first wipe the weatherstripping with a clean damp cloth and let the weatherstripping dry. Then apply a light application of the Gummi Pflege.

I kept the glass clean especially where the glass sealed against the rubber weatherstripping. Nothing fancy just a good glass cleaner.

For the painted surfaces I found keeping the surfaces which pressed against the weatherstripping clean made it less likely if I had to open the doors or trunk lids these would be frozen to the weatherstripping.

Nothing fancy. Generally when I washed the car afterwards I'd take a damp clean cloth and wipe down all the weatherstripping then all the painted surfaces that touched/sealed against the weatherstripping. As I mentioned above the weatherstrippign would get a light application of Gummi Pflege. The painted surfaces just wiped down but an occasional waxing of the painted surfaces helped too.

I never used anything to pry along where the glass entered the door. That can damage that "seal" ( though it is not a perfect seal ) and the window can rattle or develop a squeal as it is lowered or raised. I never used any "chemical" at this glass seal interface either.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another more permanent solution for us cold-climate folks is a remote-starter. You can let the car warm-up before you even have to open the doors, so that they are naturally "un-frozen" before you even attempt to get in the vehicle. It is just so nice to be able to start your car from the comfort of your home (or where ever you are) and get into an already warmed-up car. It's an added bonus if the car has heated seats and a heated steering wheel, which both activate automatically when you remote-start the car. :)

Living in a state that has a winter season, remote start is an option that I get in every car now (I had to add it afterwards on my Challenger GT though). Once you get used to it, you really miss it when it's not there - at least for a "daily driver". Easily worth the cost, IMO.
I have two other vehicles with remote start. I am weird that I don't really use it. I takes a long time sitting amd idling to get the car up to temperature. At most I'll start them as I'm walking to them and while scraping ice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Had the same issues with mine the first and only winter I drove it.
Deicer works but when it's really cold it's best to let the car warm up with remote start.
I tried gummi fledge and it worked ok for a while but still had issues when it was -5 or colder, same with deicer.
I have a scratch down the window on the driver's side from when the window was stuck, forced down and something got in the track on the outside.
If I was to continue to drive it in the winter I may have figured out how to cover the windows so they do not ice up.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
69 Posts
There are exterior windshield frost covers that cover both side windows as well to keep snow and frost off the windows. It really works well and only takes seconds to put on or take off. I've used one before and thought it was a great invention.

Here's one example, there are others.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is really annoying, especially when you're in a hurry. Happened on my 2015 and hoped they had changed the window motors for what Ford uses on their Mustangs because this never happened during three winters with a Mustang. But now I'm back in a 2020 Challenger and nothing's changed regarding window freezing from my 2015. I usually use a credit card and sometimes some De-icer.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I carry a small putty knife, basically a credit card with a handle. No danger of dropping it into the door.

·
Registered
2020 AWD GoMango SXT Blacktop
30 Posts
I keep my ice chipper with me and take it out of my car if I'm leaving my car out in the snow. Remote start will crank the heat on the front and rear windows. Ill use the ice chipper to clear the snow and ice from the edges of the window first and only open the door once thats clear. Have not had issues yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts