Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody frustrated with the delays and lack of information coming from Fiat/Chrysler after your car has been built? I ordered a 2019 Challenger R/T and it was built within 2 weeks. It has been sitting in a rail yard in Brampton for almost a month. The Dodge chat line can't provide any information, but is blaming the rail cars? The dealer is also blaming the rail cars. Maybe I should book a flight to Canada and drive it home.

The problem isn't the factory. They build them in a timely manner. It's the black hole you go into after it's built. They need to do a better job communicating with customers and dealers after the car is built. I told them that as well.

End of Rant.

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
I ordered a 2019 Challenger R/T and it was built within 2 weeks. It has been sitting in a rail yard in Brampton for almost a month. The Dodge chat line can't provide any information, but is blaming the rail cars? The dealer is also blaming the rail cars. Maybe I should book a flight to Canada and drive it home.

End of Rant.
It sounds tempting, but imagine this:

>trying to obtain MSO
>bringing from Canada into US
>not having a vehicle importer's license

Its frustrating to wait, but the shipping side is something out of the mfgr.'s hands

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds tempting, but imagine this:

>trying to obtain MSO
>bringing from Canada into US
>not having a vehicle importer's license

Its frustrating to wait, but the shipping side is something out of the mfgr.'s hands
Hal, Thanks for your response and yes, I understand that but Fiat Chrysler is a pretty big company. To build cars and basically wash their hands of them and completely lose track of them isn't good business. Maybe they should get a vehicle importer's license and move the cars themselves. Obviously, the rail car method is a colossal cluster ----. I can probably figure I'll need a new battery after sitting in that weather for a month or 2. If they are outside, the paint will be acid etched.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is anybody frustrated with the delays and lack of information coming from Fiat/Chrysler after your car has been built?
End of Rant.
This was my most recent order:

This info is provided to your dealer on a real-time basis. I'm confident, that if you're reasonable & kind, a salesperson/someone at your dealer would be willing to set aside some potion of their time to review your order status...every once in awhile at least.

One thing I am certain of - asking them about your order every other day/multiple times a week won't make it get there any faster.

Waiting sucks for sure, but as long as we're all living within this particular universe, we're just gonna have to abide by those pesky rules that govern space & time unfortunately.

My advice - relax...shop some mods, pick a favorite new air freshener, drink a beer (if you're of age of course). Oh take the dog for a walk - I promise you he/she will want to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was my most recent order:

This info is provided to your dealer on a real-time basis. I'm confident, that if you're reasonable & kind, a salesperson/someone at your dealer would be willing to set aside some potion of their time to review your order status...every once in awhile at least.

One thing I am certain of - asking them about your order every other day/multiple times a week won't make it get there any faster.

Waiting sucks for sure, but as long as we're all living within this particular universe, we're just gonna have to abide by those pesky rules that govern space & time unfortunately.

My advice - relax...shop some mods, pick a favorite new air freshener, drink a beer (if you're of age of course). Oh take the dog for a walk - I promise you he/she will want to go!
Thanks for the great advice, I think. Not sure where you got the idea I was badgering the dealer every other day. Absolutely not. My salesperson is absolutely wonderful. The reality is, they don't get any real time information after it's built, until it actually ships. They are as in the dark as me and F/C.

Don't own a dog, but certainly old enough to drink. Actually had a couple today. I've had 34 Corvettes over the years, 12 Chevelles, 1 Viper and several other muscle cars. The manner in which these cars go into the black hole after the build is not something I'm accustomed to. Trust me, I'm not losing any sleep over it and am happy to know it's built and will arrive within the next few weeks, I'm sure. Just thought others might chime in with their experiences.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the great advice, I think. Not sure where you got the idea I was badgering the dealer every other day. Absolutely not. My salesperson is absolutely wonderful. The reality is, they don't get any real time information after it's built, until it actually ships. They are as in the dark as me and F/C.

Don't own a dog, but certainly old enough to drink. Actually had a couple today. I've had 34 Corvettes over the years, 12 Chevelles, 1 Viper and several other muscle cars. The manner in which these cars go into the black hole after the build is not something I'm accustomed to. Trust me, I'm not losing any sleep over it and am happy to know it's built and will arrive within the next few weeks, I'm sure. Just thought others might chime in with their experiences.
Ah I thought your rant was a rant.

Anyway, I didn't meant it rudely/sarcastically (didn't mean to imply you were being juvenile either - sorry, I see how you got that, my bad) just saying there are waaaayy too many variables to estimate ETA, and dealers/FCA certainly don't want to get beaten up for circumstances beyond their control.

While I'm sorry for the screenshots (I can't save that info as a PDF) that is info AFTER build...there is no 'black hole' if you know where to look. You can contact your dealer for more detailed info - the VIN track system is not available to the GP.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah I thought your rant was a rant.

Anyway, I didn't meant it rudely/sarcastically (didn't mean to imply you were being juvenile either - sorry, I see how you got that, my bad) just saying there are waaaayy too many variables to estimate ETA, and dealers/FCA certainly don't want to get beaten up for circumstances beyond their control.

While I'm sorry for the screenshots (I can't save that info as a PDF) that is info AFTER build...there is no 'black hole' if you know where to look. You can contact your dealer for more detailed info - the VIN track system is not available to the GP.

No offense taken, trust me. I spoke with the dealer yesterday. She is a bit frustrated with the process as well. It kind of puts them in a bad place. She told me, as did Dodge, that it's a rail car issue and beyond their control. I think I have something I can drive while I wait.

Best Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
No offense taken, trust me. I spoke with the dealer yesterday. She is a bit frustrated with the process as well. It kind of puts them in a bad place. She told me, as did Dodge, that it's a rail car issue and beyond their control. I think I have something I can drive while I wait.

Best Regards,

Paul
Ok cool, my statements were meant to be general, did not mean to target you.

If for any reason you lose touch with the dealer/they don't respond, lmk, would be happy to help.

Take care Paul

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hope you get your car soon! One thing for sure you should check when you get the car is check out the paint for rail dust. When I bought my 2013 R/T new off the dealership lot, it had rail dust all over the rear quarters and back bumper area. The car is black and the dust was so bad it had embedded in the clear coat it seemed. I made the dealership buff it out before I accepted the car. Just something to look For! Good luck!

·
Registered
379 Posts
The flooding in the mid-west is causing a lot of problems with the railroads, its hard to get railcars where they are needed when the tracks are underwater. By design, rail routes are built on the most level terrain available and thats usually near a river.

I ordered my Wide body scat pack 4 weeks ago, and it just went to JB status today. Im anxiously waiting too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My two cents. ordered my 2019 widebody, it took 4 weeks to build and 5 weeks to be delivered. live in NJ 550 miles from the plant, despite any lies that you hear, after that car leaves the plant no one and I mean no one knows where that car is. and you are right FCA should be able to track that car and they suck at it. I feel your pain brother, one day it will show up at the dealer and all will be forgotten. it was for me, enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered my Scat Pack on February 7th, it's still not even built and has been in D1 status for over a week with no estimated build date yet.

My last Audi I ordered didn't take this long and it had to take a boat ride. At least I'm getting Sublime out of this.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I ordered my Scat Pack on February 7th, it's still not even built and has been in D1 status for over a week with no estimated build date yet.

My last Audi I ordered didn't take this long and it had to take a boat ride. At least I'm getting Sublime out of this.
This is NOT good news. Why is Dodge taking so long to make the Scat Pack? I ordered my Scat Pack Wide Body today (on 3/26/19).
The dealer told me that they should have a VON (Vehicle Order Number) within the next few days or sooner. I've been reading here in the forums that many people who ordered the Scat Pack on 3/12/19 and they got their Vin numbers quickly within 10 to 12 days after receiving their Vehicle Order Number (VON). And that they are getting their vehicles by 4/1/19. Why is it that some people get their Scat Packs in a few weeks and others get them many months later? What's going on at the Brampton plant? Are they having production issues causing them to delay making these particular Scat Packs? Does anybody know if there's currently any problems at the Brampton plant that's causing the delays with production as well as with the deliver of the Challenger Scat Pack?

·
Super Moderator
12,919 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
this is reminiscent of the airlines mothballing planes (and even brand new ones @ delivery) to pack remaining planes full and of course, the habit of overbooking flights.

there are some auto-max railcar designs that allow adjusting for tall vehicles (trucks) or going from a 2 deck layout to 3 deck.

That was another item in the article that bulkier vehicles (trucks and SUVs) use up more space on a smaller fleet of railcars specialized for this type of cargo.

Take heart - when I ordered my '01 Benz back in the day it took 5 months, 3 1/2 weeks. Including a 21 day voyage from Germany and around the US ports until arriving in So Cal.
- no dealers had inventory as everything in the CLK model line was pre-sold before they were even built.

I crossed model years from '00 to '01 and there were 14 colors of paint offered, but due to the high volume of black and silver orders, the other colors got bumped for priority for the aforementioned colors.

That was the longest

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
MidWest flooding has caused a huge mess for the rail industry.

Several major "mainlines" look like bumper to bumper Interstates at a stop, with trains lined up for several days.

This situation causes havoc across the US rail system for all shippers.

Better waiting for a vehicle than waiting for the water to recede to get back to ones totalled house.

Patience folks, yours cars will eventually get to you.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts