Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say switching from a Predator to a Trinity has been a royal PITA thus far. My Predator worked perfectly fine, but I need to datalog AFR along with the other PID's so I forked over the cash for the Trinity. First one shows up not functioning. To Marylandspeed's and DS's credit, I had a new one sent out to me. Lose a week during vacation when I had time to play with it, but so be it.

Then the new one arrives. I un-marry the Predator from my car by reloading the stock tune. I load the custom tune into the Trinity after updating all the software...and NOTHING. Squat! The Trinity won't back-up my stock tune because it thinks a custom tune is still in my car. I grab the Predator and it tells me the stock tune is in the car.

Do it all over again and same crap. So then I had to reload the custom tune in the Predator and load it in my car again to drive it. I guess I should just be happy I could do that....bummer!

HemiSam

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
a lot of challenges but happy now with the predator tune, hope you find your happy space with the new unit.
post on the diablo site and according to diablo mike you will get a faster response.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
just get speedy on the phone. he'll teach you how to work it right

·
Banned
804 Posts
Sam, we wound up keeping the Predator for loading tunes since it seems much more stable and only using the trinity as a logging tool.....sucks but it seems to work best that way.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
if eric can't make it do what your trying to do then speedy will never be able to help

·
Registered
688 Posts
Maybe I missed something here, but, I think you have to let the Trinity make a back up copy of your stock tune before you load a custom tune on the Trinity. You don't have to go through loading a canned tune, but start to load a canned tune, then once it has made a back up copy, then abort and then load your custom tune in the Trinity, then proceed to load your custom tune to the car.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bonez,

When you load a custom tune on the Trinity (or predator) it asks you to show it your stock tune, which I have backed up on my computer and I did. So loading the custom tunes on the Trinity wasn't a problem. I also tried loading a canned tune to the car with the Trinity, but it couldn't back up my stock tune cause it thought a custom tune was loaded. Gave me an error code which I've posted on the DS Trinity forum. To make sure I understand, you think I'm creating a problem by loading a custom tune on the Trinity even though I've pointed it to my stock tune on the computer? I can do this with the Predator after I've un-married it from my car....load custom tunes then go marry it to the car and download the custom tunes so why not on the Trinity:scratchhead:?

Eric - sheesh. I hadn't considered this since I was planning on selling the Predator. Well...I guess that's an option. It would allow me to see if my wiring to the wideband worked out at least, and I could get A.J. a log...hmmmm.

John - I'm simply aspiring to get as technically advanced as yourself ;-) After a year and a half of datalogging and loading tunes, I can barely keep up with ya...

HemiSam

·
Registered
688 Posts
"To make sure I understand, you think I'm creating a problem by loading a custom tune on the Trinity even though I've pointed it to my stock tune on the computer?"

It was just a thought. Actually, that is the way I have always done it.(the way I described above) The stock tune on your computer is from the Predator back up, right? I know these things can get persnickity at times.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't know if it matters but evey time I have gone back to stock and then wanted to put a tune back in I would do the canned tune thing, get the backup in the tool,take it in and load it on the computer and then use that one to load tunes on.

It may not help but thats just the way I have always done it

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger Hellcat, Plum Crazy Purple, A8 (Grape Ape)
3,601 Posts
Sam, You should back up the stock tune to the Trinity, then upload the custom tune to it. It has to be married to the car the same as the Predator. It reads like you never married the Trinity to the car.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Sam, You should back up the stock tune to the Trinity, then upload the custom tune to it. It has to be married to the car the same as the Predator. It reads like you never married the Trinity to the car.
He knows this.....the problem is somehow the Trinity seems to get corrupted. Happened on Wendys....same thing. Wouldn't load a tune so we returned it to stock. Used the Predator to load a tune and it read the backup and loaded the tune perfectly, return to stock with the Predator and go to use the Trinity and it won't read the base file.....something is screwed up,I think it's in the cable. That I Pod connector is the dumbest thing they could have done. I have seen more people break that than I care to count.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first thing I did was return the car to the stock tune by un-marrying the Pred. I then loaded custom tunes on the Trinity. When you do this the Downloader software asks you to point it to your stock tune, which I did. I then loaded a couple of custom tunes and took it to my car (now on the stock tune...did this a bunch of times to try to get it working). The Trinity would not load the stock tune even though it was in my car.

I guess I can try unloading the custom tunes in the Trinity and un-marry the Predator all over again (this would be the third or fourth time) just for grins. I'm gonna take a break and I'll try that later. Right now I'm seeing double on the dang thing. I did manage to set it up to record my AFR off my Innovate LC-1 wideband so that's a plus. Basically use it like Eric suggested...have the Pred for tunes and the Trinity for logging.

My gut's telling me Eric's spot on and something's screwy with the unit or the cable, but I'll give it a shot. I'm willing to do my part to get a product to work but this really is a lot of work for something that's not exactly inexpensive and is sold as the latest technology. Take note DiabloSport!!!

HemiSam

·
Registered
688 Posts
I agree on the ipod connector being chincy. Very first thing, I had to send mine back to DS so they could fix it. That took a whole month, but I guess they had a lot of "Trinity repairs" at that time. Now, it has been fine and works as it should.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Glad you posted this Sam. I was planning on getting a Trinity for the 392, but it appears to have some bugs. Good luck with it.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Alan. Maybe you'll get a shot at the InTune or whatever the next generation one will be called. I couldn't wait to datalog AFR any longer.

Yeah, the connector is a bit of an issue. There's a very slim connector in the Trinity you got to get the cable around and it always takes me a few tries. Looks delicate and I'm not sure how well it will hold with time. Mine seems to be working OK based on being able to pick up the PID's on the Trinity I'm trying to look at. Just don't think it was the best choice for something you want to last and you take off and put on. I couldn't see leaving that thing mounted full time in my car when I already have gauges.

HemiSam

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Good luck Sam. I'm still waiting on the InTune but after hearing this I may not even fool with it.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll pass on what I find next week. Hopefully DS can get this thing working the way it was intended...

HemiSam

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I'll pass on what I find next week. Hopefully DS can get this thing working the way it was intended...

HemiSam
Funny we have all these folks supposedly using a Trinity but not posting the problems it seems to have :scratchhead:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Jeff has a Trinity, has he been having tune issues or still using the Predator to load tunes?

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Bonz and flt, what they describe is what I had to do also, since then I have not had an issue. Gotta select your stock tune with the custom, as they said. I do like Mr. Trinity over the preditor. At one time I was suspicious of tune coruption, somehow. DS said NO way cant happen. And then a tuner told me it could happen. ?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts