Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change my chrome fuel filler door to satin black, but not sure if I should spray paint it or plastidip it (I've never used plastidip before). If you have experience painting the fuel door, please advise pros and cons of either (ease of application, looks, durability, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,770 Posts
The general reason people plasidip seems to be because it's reversible. Don't like it, just peel it off

A Guy

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Do they have a satin black plastidip out of a can? I have only seen and used flat black.

I have sprayed the Rust-Oleum Universal satin black on my front chrome grill and it looks factory. I prefer conventional paint than plastidip if you are going to leave it on forever.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
If you spray plastidip you will know if you like the look and if not you can peel it right back. If you do like the look then you can peel it off and do a perminate spray paint. That's the advantages of plastidip before you make a irreversible paint job. Autozone carrys the spray cans of it.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Personally I would not even fool around with plastidip or paint. By the time you remove the door, prep it, dip/paint and reinstall you could have just popped out the chrome one and installed a black oem one for about 100 bucks. I would say that there are plenty of pictures of Challengers in all colors available with the black fuel door to help you decide if you like it or not.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would dip it to make sure you really want a black fuel door. I Plasti dipped my last Challenger's chrome fuel door to matte black. You can create satin if you use both the matte black and gloss spray cans at the same time when spraying. Be sure to have at least 4-5 coats of matte black before creating the satin layers. Makes it much easier to peel when you're done.

I was able to keep the dip on the fuel door for two winter's with no problems before trading in, but my car is also garage kept when I'm not driving it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally I would not even fool around with plastidip or paint. By the time you remove the door, prep it, dip/paint and reinstall you could have just popped out the chrome one and installed a black oem one for about 100 bucks. I would say that there are plenty of pictures of Challengers in all colors available with the black fuel door to help you decide if you like it or not.
This is good advise, the outcome of using the OEM unit is hard to duplicate.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good pointes. Looks like I can get a new black OEM on Amazon for about $92. My current chrome one is in very good condition, so I think I can sell it on Ebay used for about $45. (I've seen the used chrome ones start at $50. and go up, although there is probably not as much market for the chrome ones. :wiggle:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
^this^ you can always sell the chrome one you removed, to recover some of the cost. thats what I did.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
111 Posts
My plastidip fuel door is holding up well, it is garaged, so that makes a difference. Someone mentioned earlier the gas, when refueling, you have to shake all of the gas off the nozzle. As you take the nozzle out, turn it upward so no gas drips. The drips will show, for that reason, I'm gonna drop $100 on an OEM matte black door.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My plastidip fuel door is holding up well, it is garaged, so that makes a difference. Someone mentioned earlier the gas, when refueling, you have to shake all of the gas off the nozzle. As you take the nozzle out, turn it upward so no gas drips. The drips will show, for that reason, I'm gonna drop $100 on an OEM matte black door.
Just caught this post, my plastic-dip door held up good for 6 months, once a few drops of gas hit it, it was shot...………...got a black one from steve white motors, looks great, no issues...……...the only way to go.

Rich

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've painted one. Scuff, prime, paint. It was really easy, but I'm pretty good with shake-n-spray cans. I've got a chrome one on my bench waiting to be painted. I'm just waiting for someone to ask for it. On my Billet GT the black looks WAY better...................the Mailman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts