Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a card in the mail from my dealer saying that they recommend my car have the fuel system serviced. 2010 R/T; 130,000 miles. Anyone know what that is? I didn't see this listed in the manual maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I received a card in the mail from my dealer saying that they recommend my car have the fuel system serviced. 2010 R/T; 130,000 miles. Anyone know what that is? I didn't see this listed in the manual maintenance schedule.
Something to pad the dealer's bottom line most likely.

Generally, make that always so far, unless the service is in the factory service schedule I do not sign up for any dealer recommended services.

Unless the engine is acting up, idling rough, has hesitation, misfires -- and with a CEL on and with misfire codes -- or any codes related to fueling -- the fuel system is fine.

If the fuel filter is a serviceable item be sure to have it changed on schedule. The same goes for the engine air filter. And plugs.

Have driven cars from 28K miles to 317K miles and never had to have the fuel system cleaned or in any way messed with. For those cars that had a serviceable fuel filter I had this changed on schedule.

If you want if it is available to you in your area fill up with Chevron Supreme (or one if your car's engine doesn't require premium, 89 or 87 octane gasoline) with Techron and run a tank or two through the engine. The Techron will remove fuel system and engine deposits as you drive.

Or if Chevron gasoline is not available you can buy a bottle of Techron from the local auto parts store and dump this bottle's contents in the tank then fill up the tank. Use the bottle according to directions. I must admit the bottles I get are for treating 20 gallons and I just dump the entire bottle's contents into a not quite 17 gallon fuel tank. With my Hellcat I don't use the bottle stuff I have access to Chevron gasoline.

If you go the bottle route the recommendation is do this near when it is time to change the oil. The Techron can result in a bit more oil contamination -- the stuff is designed to not burn but turn into a vapor when exposed to the heat of combustion then revert back to a liquid when it comes in contact with the cooler parts of the combustion chamber which is how it removes deposits -- and an oil/filter service after is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
Yep, they are just trying to get you into the service Dept with the hopes you’ll
A) purchase the service they advertised in the flyer
B) purchase other services they advise are needed or necessary based upon an inspection they perform upon arrival.

Will any of it benefit you and/or the car? Sure, certainly won’t hurt.

Is any of it required to keep the warranty or otherwise follow the factory recommended service schedule? Eh, not so much...but can’t hurt! ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Believe it or not, this is my first car with fuel injection(!).
I joined this forum shortly after buying the car and according to the posts on fuel system, I don't believe the car has a replaceable fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yep, they are just trying to get you into the service Dept with the hopes you’ll
A) purchase the service they advertised in the flyer
B) purchase other services they advise are needed or necessary based upon an inspection they perform upon arrival.

Will any of it benefit you and/or the car? Sure, certainly won’t hurt.

Is any of it required to keep the warranty or otherwise follow the factory recommended service schedule? Eh, not so much...but can’t hurt! ?
Well, it can't hurt but it can.

I don't have a problem following the factory recommended service schedule, or even being a bit more aggressive and having at least some services done more often, like oil/filter services and transmission/diff fluid services, and even having the coolant drained and refilled with fresh every 4 years or so even though often this is not a scheduled service.

But I am not in favor of throwing a "service" at the car the dealer has come up with. While there is probably no "harm" in having this service done it is in my opinion an unnecessary expense and I'm try to avoid these whenever I can.

Absent any sign of any trouble from the fuel system I like to leave things alone. The less the fuel system is disturbed the better.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Believe it or not, this is my first car with fuel injection(!).
I joined this forum shortly after buying the car and according to the posts on fuel system, I don't believe the car has a replaceable fuel filter.
nope, not without replacing the fuel pump(s).

if you’ve been on carbs up until now, you’re gonna grow to love MPFI. It is t nearly as easy to futz with when you want to play with the air/fuel mixture, but just think, you won’t ever have to rebuild a leaking Quadrapuke carbeurator again!

or remember How to spell carb...carver...carberurater again!

·
Registered
645 Posts
My service advisor recommended the complete fuel service today. I'm at 32,000 miles. It is 300 plus tax. He says they dissemble and clean the throttle body, combustion chamber cleaning, foaming liquid through intake to break down carbon (fuel injection) something like that. It seems like from this thread and Fuel Systems Service at Dealership the suggestion is to buy fuel system cleaner and pouring it into the tank. And unless there is something that signifies an issue with the fuel system it seems like a waste of money, doesn't hurt but would probably favor other preventative services.

I have to check my Challenger maintenance schedule for my warranty but the advisor didn't say it was required just something the dealer thinks would be good. Should I have declined the service for the fuel system? Is using Costco and Shell gasoline 91 octane good enough and occasionally using a fuel system cleaner? Would using a fuel system cleaner void warranty?

At 30,000 - 36,000 are there any services you'd recommend besides the oil and filter change?

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
$300 is a waste of money, How will U know if the even did and work on it ???

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
I have to check my Challenger maintenance schedule for my warranty but the advisor didn't say it was required just something the dealer thinks would be good.
Good for them, yes. You won't find fuel system on your maintenance schedule because it's not required, nor needed. If you want, run a bottle of BG 44k through a full tank. It likely won't do much either, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper!

A Guy

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
My service advisor recommended the complete fuel service today. I'm at 32,000 miles. It is 300 plus tax. He says they dissemble and clean the throttle body, combustion chamber cleaning, foaming liquid through intake to break down carbon (fuel injection) something like that. It seems like from this thread and Fuel Systems Service at Dealership the suggestion is to buy fuel system cleaner and pouring it into the tank. And unless there is something that signifies an issue with the fuel system it seems like a waste of money, doesn't hurt but would probably favor other preventative services.

I have to check my Challenger maintenance schedule for my warranty but the advisor didn't say it was required just something the dealer thinks would be good. Should I have declined the service for the fuel system? Is using Costco and Shell gasoline 91 octane good enough and occasionally using a fuel system cleaner? Would using a fuel system cleaner void warranty?

At 30,000 - 36,000 are there any services you'd recommend besides the oil and filter change?
For your car and what services are due at 30K to 36K miles I refer you to the maintenance/service schedule in the owners manual.

As I mentioned in a previous post I always decline dealer recommended "services" like fuel system services, engine flushes, etc. I go by what the factory calls for regarding services. For every car I have owned the factory never called for anything related to the fuel system to be serviced other than the fuel filter be changed on some schedule. In at least one car the fuel filter service was not scheduled as there was no serviceable fuel filter. It was part of the fuel pump housing. In the case of this car the fuel filter did at some point get replaced when the fuel pump quit at around 172K miles.

In the case of my Hellcat there are two services that I will add to the list. One is a brake fluid flush/bleed at 2 years. The 2nd is a coolant drain and refill with fresh coolant at 4 years.

Gasoline has detergent like characteristics and will "clean" the fuel system and engine if given half a chance.

I can tell you my experience the best fuel system clean is an extended drive at highway speed. While my cars see some highway usage -- my 30 mile work commute -- I have found over the years when I take any of my cars out on a prolonged highway drive of 40+ miles the engine perks up considerably after.

The extended engine run time at some steady RPM (with my Hellcat the RPMs are rather low but for my other cars -- and for which my current 2nd car my MINI JCW is representative of -- the RPMs are in the 3K range) this seems to remove whatever has accumulated and the engine runs noticeably better for it.

For those that can't give the vehicle a 40 or more mile highway drive or can't be bothered then running Chevron gasoline helps clean the fuel system (mainly the injector tips) and the engine of any deposits. One doesn't have to run Chevron all the time but a tank or two every 10 to 15 tanks is not a bad idea.

If Chevron gasoline is not available then a bottle of Techron used according to directions is advised. How often? What I was told is when using the stuff from a bottle to use it before an oil change is due. The stuff works by not burning but converting to a vapor then back to a liquid again and in doing so can add to the oil's contamination. Thus by using Techron just before an oil change any increase in contamination of the oil is addressed by shortly afterwards draining it and replacing it.

Only one time did I clean the throttle body of an engine. And this was prompted by the engine manifested untoward behavior that was the result -- unbeknownst to me at the time -- a failed air/oil separator (AOS). Its failure resulted in "oiling" the butterfly valve and the throttle bore of the throttle body. This was at around 80K miles. The AOS was replaced and I drove the car to 317K miles and never cleaned the throttle body. This even though the replacement AOS failed and its replacement failed (all separated by nearly 100K miles).

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
unless there's symptoms indicating an issue
clogged injector
leaking injector
dirty throttle body

idle / driveability issues

if it isn't broken, it doesn't need "fixing"

In all my years I've had injector systems since 1986, on one vehicle I replaced the injectors due to poor fuel economy and idle issues - that vehicle had ~ 100k on it. New injectors cleared up the issue.

I've periodically inspected the throttle body (oil changes) and if I see any accumulation, I'll clean it - don't really see much of it any more compared to my vehicles from years back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts