Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys know anything about this. I just went to fill up my 2014 RT Challenger and the nozzel kept shutting off as if the tank were full and I know it wasn't. I got about $35 worth of gas which took the needle to a little past half full.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Try a different pump. If it still happens you may have something wrong with the gas tank. I had the issue where the tank would say 1/2 full but it was over filled. That was on my 09 SE... they ended up having to replace the entire gas tank. The tank on the challenger is a saddleside so there is actually two tanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm 99.99999% sure it's not the car, but rather the pump.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is a technical service bulletin (14-001-09 A) for 2009 Challengers that describe the same issues you are having. If your problem continues, I would have your dealer look at it.

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
If the pump dispenser nozzle has been dropped on the ground or the vapor recovery hoses are kinked/collapsed or leaky, it will click off prematurely.

I've had some that were so bad, I'd invert the nozzle and then it would work. This was really apparent on trips to CA, I found nearly 1/3 of the nozzles didn't work right. Normally I don't have an issue in my own area - they work reliably.

Here in Oregon, we can't pump out own gasoline...unless you have a motorcycle, use a cardlock (self-serve) station, or diesel. [New Jersey is the only other state with such a law prohibiting consumers from pumping their own fuel]

So I have to wait on the slo-mo slackers that usually work at the stations to get a fill-up that takes 12+ minutes (they have no incentive to be efficient) when I could do it myself <5 minutes...

Across the state line in WA, you can pump your own - but they have higher state taxes and frequently its .15-.20 higher per gallon over there.

So far I've resisted going over the state line to buy gas when I get pissed off with the slo-mo gas station zombies we have around here.

·
Registered
2013 RT
4 Posts
Yea my 13 RT does this to !! I have to pull the fuel nozzel out half way then it pumps fine I have search this and have read a few were this has happend with others

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
443 Posts
My Challenger is a breeze compared to the 2005 GTO I owned.

Pontiac relocated the tank so that it was vertical behind the rear seat. And that meant it was nearly impossible to push the air out of the top of the tank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
It does happen with some pumps - it's probably not your car (and Hal may be right about CA). There's been a few where I had to hold the handle, because it would keep clicking off. Other stations are no problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I'll try another pump next time. You guys are probably right (the nozzle did look kind of beat up) and the last time I got some gas everything was fine.
so i'm having the same problem with my car and I've tried many different pumps but they all do the same thing but when I first got it didn't do it so what do I do is there a type of vent or anything that could get clogged

1 - 15 of 15 Posts