Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a 2010 Challenger SE. Have had ongoing check engine code 0456 for over a year. Dodge dealers in Pgh., say it's evaporative canister this or that and replace it, gas cap too, and the light comes back on in 50 miles. Had Midas do a smoke test and they think they found it, saying the emissions plumbing on top of the gas tank needs to be replaced. Calls for dropping the fuel tank and they didn't want to do it. Took it back to one of our Dodge dealers (we only have two) and they say that there's $60 piece that needs to be replaced, and another piece that's part of the fuel tank, so that requires replacing the fuel tank. I'm lucky if the car is worth $10,000; a new fuel tank is over $1000. Des this make sense to any of you? Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 6Speed
35 Posts
Don’t you have one of those garages that can find used but good condition fuel tanks from scrap yards? Saved me a lot of money!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
Hi all.

I have a 2010 Challenger SE. Have had ongoing check engine code 0456 for over a year. Dodge dealers in Pgh., say it's evaporative canister this or that and replace it, gas cap too, and the light comes back on in 50 miles. Had Midas do a smoke test and they think they found it, saying the emissions plumbing on top of the gas tank needs to be replaced. Calls for dropping the fuel tank and they didn't want to do it. Took it back to one of our Dodge dealers (we only have two) and they say that there's $60 piece that needs to be replaced, and another piece that's part of the fuel tank, so that requires replacing the fuel tank. I'm lucky if the car is worth $10,000; a new fuel tank is over $1000. Des this make sense to any of you? Thanks.
Maybe.

The dealer generally looks at a problem through factory warranty eye glasses. That is if the car is brought in with this problem the factory will authorize a replacement of the fuel tank. So the dealer will just stay with that.

The factory often in these cases wants the bad hardware to determine what went wrong and does it need to change something to address this for future cars.

When another car of mine had a transmission selector shaft seal leak. Under warranty the factory replaced the transmission. Techs told me the transmission was a $10K unit (6-speed for a Porsche 996 Turbo). But the techs also told me out of warranty they could just replace the leaking seal and do some other things "while there" and the cost would be quite a bit less than a new transmission.

In some way the replace -- in this case the fuel tank -- with a new one makes sense.

The flip side is the dealer goes in and replaces just the replaceable component. But afterwards the problem still exists. So now you have to pay for the labor to have the tech go back and repeat a lot of what he did before but this time he removes the old fuel tank and replaces it with a new one.

You pays your money and takes your chances. Have just the component replaced and cross your fingers that's it. If it is then win! If not face the fact you now have to fund a fuel tank R&R some of the cost of this -- labor -- you could have saved had you had this replaced at the some time the component was replaced.

Or replace the component and tank. The car is a 2010. The tank and all the hoses/etc are 20+ years old. These are pretty durable but "plastic".... I'd be inclined to pretty much throw a new fuel tank at the problem along with whatever else the dealer service department was necessary to ensure a complete repair of the problem.

Yes a "lot" of money for a 10 year old car. But with this problem the car is pretty much useless and you are not likely to get any real trade in value for it nor be able to sell it privately.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Our 06 Charger had the evac recall where the engine would stall after fill up. It was warrantied and the tank replaced free at dealer. 15 year old car. Check on it. It’s a safety item. There is a youtube on it too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No warranties; I bought it used in 2014. It was a Flood salvage, replacement motor. Everything currently works fine, except for the Check Engine light. Will look at the used parts database. It's not a simple removal, but who knows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts