Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with my 2015 R/T while the wife was shopping and I found this neat little trick. I know a lot of people are pulling fuses, running wires and switches and a whole host of other things to disable ESC.

Note that I didn’t mention two things in the video. First, after youndonthis you have to hit sport mode. It’s not on by default despite ESC being off. Secondly, hitting traction control turns ESC back on. This can only be done while starting the car.

https://youtu.be/nhTFvlCAmJg

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Ummm....not to burst your bubble or anything, buuuut.......

...at any while not moving, if you hold down the ESC button for 15 seconds, it turns completely off your traction control....AND, if you do it after you hit your Sport button, you have the benefits of the Sport without any traction control.

...I know this because I do it all the time at the track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

...at any while not moving, if you hold down the ESC button for 15 seconds, it turns completely off your traction control....AND, if you do it after you hit your Sport button, you have the benefits of the Sport without any traction control.
...I know this because I do it all the time at the track.
What year is your car? R/T? SRT?

I don’t have an ESC button. Hitting Sport Mode on an R/T only changes the shift speed and keeps its from dropping to 4 cyl mode. Hitting traction control only loosens the control. It doesn’t shut it off. I can spin the tires more than without it but it does catch and stop them after a bit.

With traction control off my car also says sport traction control. So the ESC still kicks in when I’m taking a fast corner (ass sliding) and straightens me up.

Withthe ESC mode I showed you, you can wiggle and slip down the road with tires spinning as long as you wish. This disables all safety controls. I’m not sure if it removes abs or not. I have to try that.

But if they are, as you say, the same thing then why do I get two different displays? One that says sport traction control, and one that says Electronic Stability Control off?

There IS a difference. At least on my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Also holding any button, traction control or Sport, for 15 seconds has no effect on my car. The only “chime” and difference I get is doing as the video shows

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
What year is your car? R/T? SRT?

I don’t have an ESC button. Hitting Sport Mode on an R/T only changes the shift speed and keeps its from dropping to 4 cyl mode. Hitting traction control only loosens the control. It doesn’t shut it off. I can spin the tires more than without it but it does catch and stop them after a bit.

With traction control off my car also says sport traction control. So the ESC still kicks in when I’m taking a fast corner (ass sliding) and straightens me up.

Withthe ESC mode I showed you, you can wiggle and slip down the road with tires spinning as long as you wish. This disables all safety controls. I’m not sure if it removes abs or not. I have to try that.

But if they are, as you say, the same thing then why do I get two different displays? One that says sport traction control, and one that says Electronic Stability Control off?

There IS a difference. At least on my car.
I have a 2015 Scat Pack.

The ESC button I'm referring to is shown circled in red in the picture below. If you just press it quickly, it turns off Traction Control about 80%; if you hold it in for 15 seconds, the ESC Chime sounds, there's a notification in your EVIC, and TC is turned off completely.

Maybe your R/T is different, but I thought this functionality was common across all.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thats how it works on my 2015 R/T plus STP.
DUDE!!!

Ive been reading on the internet for WEEKS about how to do this on my 2018 Challenger R/T with super track pack (7 inch screen so no stp button or performance pages) and youre the only guy to show me the way to figure this out and it works!!! Since i have an '18 i dont have the limited slip differential and so i thought my potential for long, double tire burnouts was lost. I still could do them sometimes but half the time, unpredictably, the ESC would take over and just end it or kill engine rpms. I have a few questions for you;

1. On 0 to 60 runs, do you find that clicking into autostick with JUST the paddles and letting the car shift when the revs get to high makes for faster times? (Car will redline if the console shifter is in the manual setting) I feel like when i run it auto 0 to 60 the car shifts into 3rd around 50 mph, i think if it stayed in second i could get a 4.9 (my fastest yet on flat ground is a 5 flat 0 to 60) which in a stock RT is getting speedy!

2. What is the best way to burnout if you dont have a linelock? I dont want to torque break it (mash gas and break at same time), i assume now that i can fully disable ESC ill have much better tire roasting opportunity. Ive seen some guys crank their wheels hard in one direction and lightly press break to prevent any forward movement and they get solid results.

3. Do you think that ESC being fully disabled will result in faster 0 to 60 times if i am able to control wheel spin? Im hoping that it will let the engine run its paces without limiting it for wheel spin (which i will attempt to control/master)

4. Pretty much my main question is what is the "wheelhouse" setting to get fastest 0 to 60 times on these cars. I know im scratching for 10ths here but i know i can get more out of the car if im not limited by the electronics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was playing with my 2015 R/T while the wife was shopping and I found this neat little trick. I know a lot of people are pulling fuses, running wires and switches and a whole host of other things to disable ESC.

Note that I didn’t mention two things in the video. First, after youndonthis you have to hit sport mode. It’s not on by default despite ESC being off. Secondly, hitting traction control turns ESC back on. This can only be done while starting the car.

https://youtu.be/nhTFvlCAmJg

How did you figure this out? Have you figured out the ideal settings for the best 0 to 60 runs? Paddle shift? Autostick? Let the car redline just clicking on paddle shift mode (console shifter still in drive) esc off with sport mode on and you control wheel spin? I know i can get more out of my 2018 rt stp, I feel like the electronics are slowing the car down

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have an 18 R/T 5.7 w/track pack and a8. Tried this and it works. Just have to wait for all instruments to shut down. Now if we can figure out how to enable line lock and launch control....

My best 0-60 so far is 5.4

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also have an 18 R/T 5.7 w/track pack and a8. Tried this and it works. Just have to wait for all instruments to shut down. Now if we can figure out how to enable line lock and launch control....

My best 0-60 so far is 5.4
Tazer will do that for you if you have a 8.4" screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
7" which is giving me problems... explain why they put the satellite antenna on in build sheet but the radio is only am/FM and uconnect app gives me nothing. Then there are two FAM: Track: xxxxxx #'s which which I'm guessing is a tracking device for Sirius guardian, but not sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts